Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-09-2009   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Forbes Magazine says Texans NFLs best at Drafting over the last 3 years

Here's a thought: Instead of looking at how many draftees make the team's active roster, a better barometer of success might be a survey of the last three years of drafts for all 32 NFL teams. To judge them, we looked at the percentage of players from those three draft classes who were still listed as active members of the team. The results were surprising.
Topping the list of the best drafting teams: the Houston Texans, who have kept on their current roster an amazing 85% of the players they've drafted in the last three years. The Texans have also produced two All-Pros (linebacker DeMeco Ryans and defensive end Mario Williams).
http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/08/nfl...nfl-draft.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Forbes Magazine says Texans NFLs best at Drafting over the last 3 years

I think we've done a good job in the draft, but you also have to realize that more players from the draft would make the Texans roster because we had some many that needed replacing. And also that Kubiac and Smith are moving towards players that more fit their kind of roster.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Forbes Magazine says Texans NFLs best at Drafting over the last 3 years

I agree with Thorn, our team had so many holes that we had to keep mediocre players to fill them.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think we've done a good job in the draft, but you also have to realize that more players from the draft would make the Texans roster because we had some many that needed replacing. And also that Kubiac and Smith are moving towards players that more fit their kind of roster.
You beat me to it. Though the last three years has been good in the drafting department you have to look at how many holes you have to fill and how many fresh bodies you need. They needed 85% to contribute in some way.
Old 04-09-2009   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

agree with the Mighty Thorn. donno if that is a great measure of if your draft is great.....if you told me that a team would have the NFL's top drafts for three years running and also said that this team has never had a winning season you would look cynically at my premise. This may be more of an indication of how bad the roster really was instead of how great the drafts were.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
agree with the Mighty Thorn. donno if that is a great measure of if your draft is great.....if you told me that a team would have the NFL's top drafts for three years running and also said that this team has never had a winning season you would look cynically at my premise. This may be more of an indication of how bad the roster really was instead of how great the drafts were.
First, I think we've drafted very well the past three years. 2007 isn't look great right now but 2006 was excellent and 2008 is looking mighty good too. That being said, you guys are right that the ranking has a lot to do with the environment Capers and Casserly set up after 2005. That team that finished 2005 was one of the worst teams I have ever seen in the NFL. Combine how bad the roster was with a new regime coming in and dramatically changing philosophies on offense and defense and you have a recipe for starting a lot of rookies!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It will be interesting how many of the drafted players this year make the final squad. Baring injuries, I'd lay money on all players drafted by the Texans in rounds 1 through 5 on the final active roster. 6 & 7 might make the cut, but odds are they'd be on the practice squad. I think the Texans are getting closer to what they need, which means the really lower round picks will have a harder time making it.

Although I can see a 6 or 7th round pick making the active roster if they can show something on special teams.

Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2009   #8
Polo

Well, I think I'll be the first to disagree with Thorn...

Yeah we had holes to fill, but so did previous Texans teams...So do all crappy teams...Look at the Lions...

Having holes to fill does not guarantee that you will find players in the draft that will prove that they can play ball...

Look at the Patriots...I'd say that they draft pretty well...even though the article lists them as last...

The Colts....They are a good team and they are listed right behind us...I don't think the talent on your team has a whole lot to do with it, but no doubt it does play a role in the players you retain...

Face it...We have people that are adept at finding talented players...

Last edited by Polo; 04-09-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2009   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This just means ours teams personell stunk before Kubes.

We have alot of guys that are going to be coming up for contract extensions in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see if uncle BoB steps up to the plate and gets the extensions done or if he refuses to cut into the profit margin and lets guys walk.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #10
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I think last years was a bit of a let down...drama wise.... We get to our pic and trade down.... major let down.....and drafted an offensive tackle......it worked out on the field. I am looking for a splash by the Texans this year.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
I think last years was a bit of a let down...drama wise.... We get to our pic and trade down.... major let down.....and drafted an offensive tackle......it worked out on the field. I am looking for a splash by the Texans this year.
With the 15th pick, I think we should be able to pick up a defensive player that can come in and start AND improve the team. A LB or safety would be my preferance, but I'll take any defensive position on the team that will make an immediate improvement.

Old 04-09-2009   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

The 2005 roster was horrendous. Anyone at the time who really thought it was stupid for the Texans to pick defense with the first two picks of the 2006 draft had no idea how bad that Texans defense was.

Though the 2006 offense was inept, it was the defense that had got old and had poor replacement players for the old guys that caused that catastrophic collapse. The 2004 defense was what held that year together.

Look how few of the 2005 roster is still in the league.
Old 04-09-2009   #13
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I just gouged out my eyes with a sharp stick. Thanks!
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think defining a point system based on production is the way to do this right.

1-still in NFL
2-still on team that drafted the player
3-considered a "starter"
5-ROTY award winners, any other random awards
6-Probowler
7-MVP

Or something like that. I'm not going to fall in with the "drafting was okay but moreso the 2005 team was just bad" crowd because I think they still had to draft guys who could play and play well but I'm not so blind to think upgrading was much of a challenge.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks TC

The thought of having sat through a season with that crap on our roster makes me ill.

How can a man that does that ineptly still get to be called an expert.

Casserly teaches students how a GM does his job.

My advice to his students is to do the opposite of what he suggests. You may get an F in his class but Casserly gets an F as a real NFL GM.

Casserly is the a talent evaluating expert on the NFL network my a**.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Well, I think I'll be the first to disagree with Thorn...

Yeah we had holes to fill, but so did previous Texans teams...So do all crappy teams...Look at the Lions...

Having holes to fill does not guarantee that you will find players in the draft that will prove that they can play ball...

Look at the Patriots...I'd say that they draft pretty well...even though the article lists them as last...

The Colts....They are a good team and they are listed right behind us...I don't think the talent on your team has a whole lot to do with it, but no doubt it does play a role in the players you retain...

Face it...We have people that are adept at finding talented players...
Good post Polo, and I agree. Without even reading the article if the Patriots are last on this list then this article doesn't have much credibility if you ask me. THe Pats have drafted very very well.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

A measurement of our team will be what players are we drafting next season. Hopefully, no starters but excellent back ups that will be given time to develop and work their way to #1. Can not go based soley on wins as you can go 11-5 and still need to draft starters at some spots.
Old 04-09-2009   #18
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ill take it, being number one is always nice.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=steelbtexan;1157007]Thanks TC

The thought of having sat through a season with that crap on our roster makes me ill.

My advice to his students is to do the opposite of what he suggests. You may get an F in his class but Casserly gets an F as a real NFL GM.

Casserly is the a talent evaluating expert on the NFL network my a**.[/
QUOTE]

It's been said "To teach is to learn twice." It should be quite apparent that Casserly is no teacher, and has yet to learn anything.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #20
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Thanks TC

Casserly is the a talent evaluating expert on the NFL network my a**.
Don't forget that Casserly was a huge reason for the success of the Redskins in the 80s. He discovered alot of players in later rounds and UD players that would end up being huge contributors.. Jacoby and Bostic are two prime examples, so was getting Brian Mitchell from UL-M, maybe? (it was definitely in LA) and converting him from QB to KR/PR/RB and being extremely successful.

2006 was also his last draft, and he was working in conjunction with Kubes yes, but he was big on Mario and we have to give him credit for that. The other 4 years....
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read