Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2005   #1
Doom Capers
Veteran
 
Doom Capers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 31
Posts: 434
Rep Power: 11 Doom Capers is ridin' the pine
Default 14 FA's signed

Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=1510


HOUSTON - The Houston Texans announced today that they have signed the following player to future contracts:
LB Tim Cheatwood (6-4, 258, Ohio State, first season)

DE Jason Davis (6-3, 320, West Virginia, first season)

LB Anthony Dunn (6-2, 246, Northern Colorado, first season)

LB Tyreo Harrison (6-2, 238, Notre Dame, second season)
T Casey Knutson (6-4, 290, Northern State, first season)

RB Adam Matthews (5-11, 205, Northern Colorado, first season)

LB David Moretti (6-1, 235, Oregon, first season)

WR Nick Narcisse (5-10, 178, Tulane, first season)

QB Preston Parsons (6-4, 236, Northern Arizona, first season)

P Cody Scates (6-1, 205, Texas A&M, first season)

K Chris Snyder (6-0, 190, Montana, first season)

WR Allen Suber (5-9, 189, Bethune-Cookman, first season)
WR Sloan Thomas (6-1, 203, Texas, first season)

SS David Young (6-1, 211, Georgia Southern, first season)
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #2
ArlingtonTexan
Moderator
 
ArlingtonTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 6,035
Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Just signing our practice squad guys and probably a handful to ship to NFL Europe. Cheatwood, who has been talked about extensively, is the most interesting of those guys.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #3
gabe
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aurora
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0 gabe is ridin' the pine
Default

He may need a year in NFL Europe to redevelop his Lb skills
gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #4
TheTim5125
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Age: 28
Posts: 349
Rep Power: 11 TheTim5125 is ridin' the pine
Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125
Default

when do we announce who's going to nfl europe
__________________
Carr to Johnson...... Touch Down
TheTim5125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,811
Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

You know now that Sloan Thomas' name is mentioned, I was wondering what anyone felt if we saved our money on FA receivers, moved Armstrong to Bradford's spot, and let Kendrick Sterling and Thomas battle it out for the last spot. Then maybe go for the other big name guy the following year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #6
jacquescas
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 1,323
Rep Power: 12 jacquescas is ridin' the pine
Default

letting Bradford go and hoping our current roster is a risk, a calculated one, that if it pays off, allows us to spend some of our offseason money is another area. but if it doesn't we are left with a very thin recieving corps.

If we do this then i think we should aggressively go after a top quality free agent TE like Bubba Franks to give us another recieving threat if Armstrong doesn't pick it up.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #7
astrofan
Veteran
 
astrofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 209
Rep Power: 11 astrofan is ridin' the pine
Default

I would rather draft a TE that blow FA money on one
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2005   #8
gabe
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aurora
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0 gabe is ridin' the pine
Default

Guys who are going to NFL Europe will have a mini camp in Feb/March
gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #9
jr0ck
Veteran
 
jr0ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BCS/H-town
Age: 30
Posts: 297
Rep Power: 10 jr0ck is ridin' the pine
Send a message via AIM to jr0ck
Default

the name that first jumped out at me as the most interesting is cody scates, the punter from a&m. he's a big dude (admitedly a big kicker doesn't really mean anything, they usual just look like they do ALOT of curls as to not get punked by the rest of the team) but....last year he almost had a punt blocked but tucked the ball and ran about 20 yards for the first down not only was it one of the better plays of the year considering the aggs went 4-8, but it was nice to see such athletism from a traditionally "not so athletic" position.

yes, it really doesn't mean much and im sure not saying to expect first down runs at all if he gets any PT, but just though i'd shed some light on what appears to be a unique player at his position.

side note: im most excited about cheatwood and his capabilties along with the rest of you guys.
__________________
...[/lossofwords]
jr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #10
Grizzled
Rookie
 
Grizzled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 0 Grizzled is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe
He may need a year in NFL Europe to redevelop his Lb skills
Youíre from TO Gabe? You ought to know then that as Cheatwood is an option year player in the CFL therefore he canít be sent to NFLe this year. For you Americans, CFL contracts usually have a final year ďoption yearĒ which means that the player can sign with an NFL team but if he gets cut and isnít picked up within 10 days then his rights revert to his CFL team for that last year of the contract. Also, the player canít be sent to NFLe although he can be placed on the PR.

As for adjustment time, thereís no doubt that that will be an issue, but if heís playing OLB as almost a rush end, then I donít think his adjustment will be that great. Heíll be a player to watch. Heís a pro whoís been a starting player for several years. Heís been in the trenches and seen the bullets fly. Heís played against elite players on a regular basis, but theyíve been significantly different kinds of players than he will face in the NFL and heís been doing it on a field thatís 11.5 yards wider, and heís had to line up a yard off the ball all the time, so there are clearly differences. As for the players, the RBs heís had to face are mostly super scat back types, extremely quick and fast. The QBs heís had to face are all scrambling, roll out type QBs. As the NFL doesnít favour these kinds of players the CFL for the most part has the best of these types of players the NCAA has ever produced. Heís played against RBs like Charles Roberts (the second all-time in rushing yards in Div 1), John Avery (former NFL first round pick), Troy Davis (two time 2,000 yard rusher from Iowa State and two time Heisman finalist, actually Cheatwood only faced him in practice because he was on his team, but this is the calibre of player heís had to face), Autry Denson (all time leading rusher for Notre Dame), and more name players, and there are some top notch players who only had marginal college careers but were late bloomers in the CFL like Kenton Keith (Keith has a 4.3 range 40 and is a cousin to both Roger Craig and Johnny Rogers, so he comes by his talent honestly. Itís his head that bloomed late). As for QBs, we have a lot of guys who are over 30 who you probably wonít remember but the younger backups we have who you will have heard of are guys like, Brad Banks, Ell Roberson, Tee Martin, Spurgeon Wynn, Giovanni Carmazzi, Nealon Greene (he was the all-time passing leader at Clemson and he also had a 4.4 40) and more.

So you can see that Cheatwood has played against some top talent, and some extremely mobile QBs, and he led the league in sacks. So heís a player and heís a pro and heís played very high level ball, but the style of game heís played, especially at his position, is significantly different. Heíll need some adjustment time, but he has a very good chance of becoming a very good player for you.
Grizzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame
 
TexansTrueFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Huntsville Tx
Age: 29
Posts: 2,600
Rep Power: 12 TexansTrueFan is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default

its funny how we are so interested in all the WR, but what good will they do us while Carr is lying on his back after a defender sacks him ??? I didnt see to many OL men on that list, i hope they atleast try to resolve this problem, before next season !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 45,333
Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
its funny how we are so interested in all the WR, but what good will they do us while Carr is lying on his back after a defender sacks him ??? I didnt see to many OL men on that list, i hope they atleast try to resolve this problem, before next season !
Just caught the tail-end of Casserly on 610 am. I'm sticking to my prediction of 75% chance of zero new faces on the OL when the season starts 25% chance of one.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 18,956
Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

True Fan you are right on target.On other threads they talk about a reciever from Wash. or drafting Mike Williams but until you get some blocking its not going to matter.
This is not what comes first chicken or the egg.A good OL allows you to plug in a rookie QB like the Steelers.And plug in to older backs like Staley and Bettis.I'll bet DD would be 1500 yd. back in Pittsburg (if healthy).Wait lets swap lines DD 1500 yds,Carr 30 tds 3750 yds,Johnson 100 rec. 1400 yds 13 tds, Gaffney 60 rec. 900 yds. 8 tds.we could keep on.
Now that we're scoring big our defense is better rested and can pin their ears back and rush the passer because they have throw to catch up .Ain't this fun.Vote no to wrs. come April thank you.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #14
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame
 
TexansTrueFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Huntsville Tx
Age: 29
Posts: 2,600
Rep Power: 12 TexansTrueFan is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default

ya know i'm not gonna second guess the texans managment, because they are where they are for a reason, but if carr dont begin to get better protection soon i think he will be ruined at QB. The boy has never had a consistent lineto protect him, and every time he drops back to pass you can see that with his decisions he makes them way to early because he dont know how long he will have. Maybe the coaching staff just thinks the line needs more time, and will do better once they play together a while longer. But there is a problem when i've seen 6 guys on our line and 3 defenders rushing and they still get to carr. I dont always like change but something needs to be done, if we want any shot at making the play-offs next season !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #15
TEXANS84
Moderator
 
TEXANS84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Age: 36
Posts: 7,477
Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Just caught the tail-end of Casserly on 610 am. I'm sticking to my prediction of 75% chance of zero new faces on the OL when the season starts 25% chance of one.
Yeah..It's pretty apparent that Charlie wants to even things out because we drafted two offensive players our first two years.

I was surprised to hear that, instead of him saying "We'll take the best player on the board"...he gave us "We'll take the best Defensive player on the board".
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 18,956
Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I am not there everyday nor am I an expert on the matter(could be if I loose my job anybody need a towel) but the OL just does'nt look right.I hope their right and all they need is time.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #17
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame
 
TexansTrueFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Huntsville Tx
Age: 29
Posts: 2,600
Rep Power: 12 TexansTrueFan is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default

of course they're right if not capers can always use his famous line, a "lack of execution" it gets old ya think he'd be more creative, i guess him and palmer have a lot in common !

ok mean joke i like capers (actually thats still up for debate)....
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 18,956
Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

John Mckay was the 1st coach for Tampa Bay back when TB was terrible. He was asked by a reporter about the teams execution. His reply was " I'm in favor of it ." My favorite execution quote.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #19
YodAa
All Pro
 
YodAa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston,TX
Age: 24
Posts: 915
Rep Power: 10 YodAa is ridin' the pine
Send a message via AIM to YodAa
Default

Does any1 no who all we've signed so far this offseason and wether there good or not?
YodAa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005   #20
wags
Hall of Fame
 
wags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX and FL
Age: 36
Posts: 1,601
Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I'm sticking to my prediction of 75% chance of zero new faces on the OL when the season starts 25% chance of one.
I really hope we get at least one C/G in the draft. If we have the same 3 inside guys as last year I'll be dissapointed.

This group we have now seemed to "gel" in the running game as the year went on, but I saw zero "gel" in the pass protection.
__________________
A good argument is always spoiled by someone who knows what they're talking about
wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger