Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

SN Report: Texans want complement to RB Slaton

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
No doubt there will be a lot of excitement around Steve Slaton in fantasy drafts this preseason. After all, the Texans running back totaled almost 1,660 yards and averaged 4.8 yards per carry in his rookie season last year. Those numbers rightfully earned him a 2009 preseason ranking of 13 among RBs.

That kind of success from a rookie usually leads owners to believe that there's nowhere to go but up, especially if the coaches decide to loosen the reigns on Slaton in his second year. Unfortunately for optimistic Slaton owners, he may not get the increase in touches they are hoping for in Year 2.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Fa...iew/22489/texans_want_complement_to_rb_slaton

I hope Steve Slaton can continue to perform well and I hope he doesn't have a Sophomore slump. Hopefully, the Texans well add another Guard (Maybe Isander from West Virginia) and or a Center (Max Unger, Jonathan Lugis, or Edwin Williams) to help open up more holes for Slaton to zip through.

Not since Domanick "Davis" Williams have we had a 1,000+ yard rushing RB. Slaton is a diamond in the rough and I'm glad as hell we drafted him. I know adding Slaton helped me win my Yahoo Fantasy Football season, thanks to him and DeAngelo Williams as well as Michael Turner.

The #1 golden rule in Fantasy football used to be......"don't draft a Denver RB", because they just distributed the carries between 2 or 3 different guys, but they always were top 5 in rushing.

I hope this happens with us, even though I got Slaton in the last round and he made me a winner in both of my leagues.

However I still think Slaton is going to have plenty of value, he's going to be a much bigger weapon in the passing game this season. That's a part of his game that wasn't utilized enough and even when we draft another back, that back is still going to be a rook so the trust factor with Kubiak won't be there yet. (the only reason why Slaton got as much time as he did last season was because of injuries to pretty much every other player on the team.) I still think Slaton will get plenty of touches next season, but not around the goalline/short yardage situations.....so that will rob some value from him.

I know adding Slaton helped me win my Yahoo Fantasy Football season, thanks to him and DeAngelo Williams as well as Michael Turner.

My god did you even lose a game......

Crap I had Slaton, Chris Johnson, and A. Peterson (as well as Jonathan Stewart) and I only lost 2.

I hope Steve Slaton can continue to perform well and I hope he doesn't have a Sophomore slump. Hopefully, the Texans well add another Guard (Maybe Isander from West Virginia) and or a Center (Max Unger, Jonathan Lugis, or Edwin Williams) to help open up more holes for Slaton to zip through.

Not since Domanick "Davis" Williams have we had a 1,000+ yard rushing RB. Slaton is a diamond in the rough and I'm glad as hell we drafted him. I know adding Slaton helped me win my Yahoo Fantasy Football season, thanks to him and DeAngelo Williams as well as Michael Turner.

How many times am I going to have to straighten people like you out? The Texans will not draft a single offensive lineman. Period. End of sentence. Kubiak and Gibbs LOVE the starting line we have. In fact, I just read a Gibbs quote that went something like "in the 30 years of my involvement in football I've never had an offensive line start all 16 games of a season"

More to the point. The Texans threw for 4400+ yards and rushed for 1800+ That doesn't exactly scream "draft offensive lineman!"

How many times am I going to have to straighten people like you out? The Texans will not draft a single offensive lineman. Period. End of sentence. Kubiak and Gibbs LOVE the starting line we have. In fact, I just read a Gibbs quote that went something like "in the 30 years of my involvement in football I've never had an offensive line start all 16 games of a season"

More to the point. The Texans threw for 4400+ yards and rushed for 1800+ That doesn't exactly scream "draft offensive lineman!"

WRONG!!! If I didnt feel so bad I would tear this post apart. Actually 2 questions should about some it up. Who are our backup OL? Would you want any of them starting for an extended period of time? Our depth on the OL is horrible. We WILL draft depth on the OL or at least add another FA before the season starts.

No doubt there will be a lot of excitement around Steve Slaton in fantasy drafts this preseason. After all, the Texans running back totaled almost 1,660 yards and averaged 4.8 yards per carry in his rookie season last year. Those numbers rightfully earned him a 2009 preseason ranking of 13 among RBs.

That kind of success from a rookie usually leads owners to believe that there's nowhere to go but up, especially if the coaches decide to loosen the reigns on Slaton in his second year. Unfortunately for optimistic Slaton owners, he may not get the increase in touches they are hoping for in Year 2.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Fa...iew/22489/texans_want_complement_to_rb_slaton

I drafted him in my Dynasty League rookie draft last year so he is already mine!!

How many times am I going to have to straighten people like you out? The Texans will not draft a single offensive lineman. Period. End of sentence. Kubiak and Gibbs LOVE the starting line we have.

Loving the starting line up doesn't mean OL won't get drafted at some point - in fact they are almost certain to get one at some point. Look at your Gibbs quote - first time in 30 years the OL has all started 16 games. You think he has some opinions on the importance of depth?

wow.
1. who are our backups?
2. how many years will our OL start all 16 games together?
3. what was our offensive scoring ranked with "all those yards" we got?

How many times are we going to have to straighten people like you out? You don't just look at the draft to fill your needs, that's what free agency is for. And in all actuality, some of us consider adding OL/RB depth a need on this team. Those positions havn't been addressed yet. It looks as though we can find some decent OL/RBs in this draft and Kubiak/Smith will go a combination of BPA/need.

We'll come out of this draft with a RB,OL,LB,DB you may even throw in WR/PR, DL too. We've got 8 picks bud...

Deeerrrrp!

Never had an offensive line completely healthy in 30 years. 1 for 30. Guessing that it doesn't happen again for a minute. T depth is okay with Butler, G depth is embarrasing featuring Kasey Studdard and who even is Brisiel's backup? C depth Chris White, can't even beat out Myers who is at best VERY average. The top 4 or so C in this draft start from day 1 IMO, he's easily replaced. I actually think Brisiel's got a chance to be an solid player if he continues to develop in this system. A decent C would probably raise his game right off the bat. You say they don't get one (period ha) I say they get at least 2 guys in the draft or UFA and maybe even another F/A before camp starts. And if they don't they stuuuuupid.

There is no doubt in my mind we draft at least one OL, and maybe two depending on how their draft board falls. For sure, they should draft one interior lineman, and maybe they pick up another versatile type. I think the starters as a group are average, with C being the weak spot. The depth is about a D on an A-F grading scale.

I would be shocked if we dont draft a G/C and a Tackle to groom for depth. We arent 100% completly rock solid at the position.

The #1 golden rule in Fantasy football used to be......"don't draft a Denver RB", because they just distributed the carries between 2 or 3 different guys, but they always were top 5 in rushing.

I hope this happens with us, even though I got Slaton in the last round and he made me a winner in both of my leagues.

However I still think Slaton is going to have plenty of value, he's going to be a much bigger weapon in the passing game this season. That's a part of his game that wasn't utilized enough and even when we draft another back, that back is still going to be a rook so the trust factor with Kubiak won't be there yet. (the only reason why Slaton got as much time as he did last season was because of injuries to pretty much every other player on the team.) I still think Slaton will get plenty of touches next season, but not around the goalline/short yardage situations.....so that will rob some value from him.

I don't think it matters who we draft as another RB or where as far as what kind of value Slaton will have in fantasy. Slaton will have nice fantasy numbers next year either way because he is a HR hitter that can score on any play if he gets the right amount of space. most of his TD's weren't on GL carries last season. He was taking them in from distances. And like you say, he'll be used in the passing game quite a bit and I'm guessing that if he stays healthy all season long he'll have a minimum of 400 yards receiving for sure so he should have at least 2 TD's receiving as well. Even if the Texans get a great GL back that gets a lot of TD's I still think Slaton will have a good amount as well. Look at how many White had for the Titans last season as their bruiser. Chris Johnson was still able to get a lot himself.

That is why I really want another stud at RB because Kubes likes to run the ball so much and use the play action. Since that is how he likes to run the offense we really NEED to have two backs to keep our running game stout because our offense is predicated off of the success of the running game. When we don't have one, our offense is so much worse and it hurts the passing game as well.

I dunno but this really isn't a scoop is it ? I mean there was some talk that the Texans would consider a back for the number #2 spot as one similar to Stevie-Wonder, but we all kinda knew they would go for a bangor, a hard inside runner in the 220-230 range who could pound it more effectively in short yardage situation than our starter.

Johsnon also got hurt in the play-offs...

Another reason to have two good backs.

I still think we should wait until the 3rd to get the RB or 4th depending on our board. First round we need a starting defender, and in the 2nd we need to get a guard or center.

Wow, this would sounds condescending, even if it was correct.
I don't think it's correct however, and it comes of as something well beyond condescending to me.

Last edited:
I still think we should wait until the 3rd to get the RB or 4th depending on our board. First round we need a starting defender, and in the 2nd we need to get a guard or center.

If Slaton were to go down next season, then our offense will go right back to being an average one like it was before. The improvement of the running game is what helped the entire offense last season. We have to MAKE SURE we have two capable backs that can make plays and move the chains. The more and more I think about it I don't want us to go further than the 2nd round without taking a RB. Sure we could possibly find another good RB in the 3rd like we did with Slaton but the chances of that get slimmer and slimmer once you get out of the 2nd round. I know we need defense really really bad, but if we used an early pick on a RB, we still have the rest of the entire draft to use on quality defensive players with a lot of potential. I just don't see that break out player in the first round on defense where we'll be with our system. There might be a few, but I don't currently see it right now like I do with a few offensive players and we don't need a WR, but we do NEED a RB. People don't see it as a hole ,but I see it as one for sure until we have two good ones and not just one.

I think you could add Steve to a list including Andre Johnson, Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans & Dunta Robinson if you lose them your team suffers immeasreably. I would hate to see Steve hurt or unable to play, there is such a huge drop-off w/current options.

I think you could add Steve to a list including Andre Johnson, Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans & Dunta Robinson if you lose them your team suffers immeasreably. I would hate to see Steve hurt or unable to play, there is such a huge drop-off w/current options.

Yes, but the success of our offense is predicated off of our running game which makes that the most important part of our offense other than the QB position. You have to recognize what style of offense you have and Kubiak wants to constant;y run the ball and set up the play action pass as his bread and butter in the passing game. So without an effective running game this offense fails miserably because Kubes will continue to pound the ball no matter what. One thing Kubes has proven whether it is good or bad is that he'll stick to his system and to what he knows which is to run the ball run the ball run the ball. He did it even when we didn't have any good RB's and that one of the things I've hated about Kubiak, but he is what he is and he'll stick to his formula.

So with that being said, I think we need to do everything possible to make sure our running game stays stout so our offense can keep improving.

"Hopefully, the Texans well add another Guard (Maybe Isander from West Virginia) and or a Center (Max Unger, Jonathan Lugis, or Edwin Williams) to help open up more holes for Slaton to zip through."

All these guys mentioned are day 1 picks, probably 3rd round and higher. Your implication in my opinion was we needed to draft an O-line starter for Slaton at guard or center, which is ridiculous. If depth on our OL is all were going for then we can find that cheaply in FA in the form of a veteran or an undrafted rookie. Spending a 4th rounder or higher on an O-lineman who will probably play special teams or a few snaps all season isn't worth it. This team needs WAY too much on defense.

I would be happy to see K. Moreno in round #1, Unger in round #2, and Sebastion Vollmer (OT from UH) in 6 or 7. We have gone some distance with shoring up the defense in free agency. A #3, 2 #4's and a #5 should help with depth this year. There are some good defenders coming out next year.

"Hopefully, the Texans well add another Guard (Maybe Isander from West Virginia) and or a Center (Max Unger, Jonathan Lugis, or Edwin Williams) to help open up more holes for Slaton to zip through."

All these guys mentioned are day 1 picks, probably 3rd round and higher. Your implication in my opinion was we needed to draft an O-line starter for Slaton at guard or center, which is ridiculous. If depth on our OL is all were going for then we can find that cheaply in FA in the form of a veteran or an undrafted rookie. Spending a 4th rounder or higher on an O-lineman who will probably play special teams or a few snaps all season isn't worth it. This team needs WAY too much on defense.
Isander is a late round guy, Williams a day 2 guy, Luigs a borderline day 1 guy. I'm sure different people have different ratings but calling them all day 1 guys is just false.

An upgrade at RG or C especially wouldn't be anything close to ridiculous. It's not as big of a need as S, or LB but it's #2 on Offense behind a bruiser RB to spell Slaton. Spending a high round pick on a guy means he's probably expected to start before the year is out...I don't know why you would pick a guy and them sit him for no reason? Am I missing your point? Chris Myers would be easily replaced and this is a great draft to do so. Upgrading from him makes him valuable depth as well, so that's 2 spots taken care of with 1 pick. I don't think anyone expects high round picks for depth but to think this team is not going to address it's Oline depth period is downright silly. And wrong.

Isander is a late round guy, Williams a day 2 guy, Luigs a borderline day 1 guy. I'm sure different people have different ratings but calling them all day 1 guys is just false.

An upgrade at RG or C especially wouldn't be anything close to ridiculous. It's not as big of a need as S, or LB but it's #2 on Offense behind a bruiser RB to spell Slaton. Spending a high round pick on a guy means he's probably expected to start before the year is out...I don't know why you would pick a guy and them sit him for no reason? Am I missing your point? Chris Myers would be easily replaced and this is a great draft to do so. Upgrading from him makes him valuable depth as well, so that's 2 spots taken care of with 1 pick. I don't think anyone expects high round picks for depth but to think this team is not going to address it's Oline depth period is downright silly. And wrong.
I would agree with upgrading at Center, and let's say either keep Brisiel at Guard, or sliding Myers over to Guard would be great. We also have White backing up at both C and G.

So we would have:
New Center, Myers, White as depth at Center.
and
Myers/Brisiel, White as depth at Guard.

However, I would question the notion that this draft is an automatic to find a Center that will upgrade Myers at Center in our ZBS, especially as a starter on day one.

The focus of this draft will be defense. Other than depth on the offensive line, which I've already said can be found in FA through undrafted rookies or unsigned veterans, and a backup running back, offense will be ignored in this draft and for good reason.

FLIP

FLOP
The focus of this draft will be defense. Other than depth on the offensive line, which I've already said can be found in FA through undrafted rookies or unsigned veterans, and a backup running back, offense will be ignored in this draft and for good reason.

Im confused, of course it could be the medication. The breathimg treatments make me dizzy. :doot:

I'm fully behind your enthusiasm towards filling this team with all the defense we can, especially with highly rated draft picks... but the truth is, I think we would be foolish to pass up higher rated talent to just fill needs for the sake of filling them.

You propose, basically, that we go defense with all our picks. Let me ask you this. What specific players are you targeting in each round? Of those players, who will likely start for this team next season... who will likely see significant playing time? What players are we going to find at DE, DT, OLB, CB, S in rounds 1-7 are YOU targeting that will make an impact for our team?

If you're talking about taking Louis Delmas at 15 because he's the highest rated player at a defensive position of need and we end up passing on higher rated offensive prospects such as Michael Oher, Jeremy Maclin, pick your RB (Brown, Moreno, Wells), etc. I think you would be severely doing this team a disservice.

I'm fully behind your enthusiasm towards filling this team with all the defense we can, especially with highly rated draft picks... but the truth is, I think we would be foolish to pass up higher rated talent to just fill needs for the sake of filling them.

You propose, basically, that we go defense with all our picks. Let me ask you this. What specific players are you targeting in each round? Of those players, who will likely start for this team next season... who will likely see significant playing time? What players are we going to find at DE, DT, OLB, CB, S in rounds 1-7 are YOU targeting that will make an impact for our team?

If you're talking about taking Louis Delmas at 15 because he's the highest rated player at a defensive position of need and we end up passing on higher rated offensive prospects such as Michael Oher, Jeremy Maclin, pick your RB (Brown, Moreno, Wells), etc. I think you would be severely doing this team a disservice.

It doesn't matter who I'm targeting. It matters who the Texans are. I'm doing my best at speaking for them and trying to figure out how they'll approach their draft. I think defense is the #1 priority and our draft board will reflect that once this is all over. I'll revisit this thread to gloat once the draft is over.

Deeerrrrp!

Never had an offensive line completely healthy in 30 years. 1 for 30. Guessing that it doesn't happen again for a minute. T depth is okay with Butler, G depth is embarrasing featuring Kasey Studdard and who even is Brisiel's backup? C depth Chris White, can't even beat out Myers who is at best VERY average. The top 4 or so C in this draft start from day 1 IMO, he's easily replaced. I actually think Brisiel's got a chance to be an solid player if he continues to develop in this system. A decent C would probably raise his game right off the bat. You say they don't get one (period ha) I say they get at least 2 guys in the draft or UFA and maybe even another F/A before camp starts. And if they don't they stuuuuupid.

I think we need a center who is bigger that can go up against the middle in a 3-4 without needing help. One who can push inside the 20. I agree on Brisiel, he´s coming along, if he doesn´t have to cover the center, he´s bettter. I think this is a priority on offense, so you can rate that however with our defensive needs.

I disagree......I think we need to draft a center high. I wouldn't mind even seeing us spend a second rounder on one.

People like to dog on Brisiel, but he isn't the main problem on the Oline.......Myers is, he isn't a starting center. I don't know how many times that guy was simply overmatched and dominated last season and as a result it made other positions on the line look bad. We need somebody who can hold the line up front and anchor the entire line, it wasn't just "not having a big bruising back" that killed us in goal line/short situations last season. Many times we were blown right off the ball.

Last edited:
I disagree......I think we need to draft a center high. I wouldn't mind seeing us spend a second rounder on one.

People like to dog on Brisiel, but he isn't the main problem on the Oline.......Myers is, he isn't a starting center. I don't know how many times that guy was simply overmatched and dominated last season and as a result it made other positions on the line look bad. We need somebody who can hold the line up front and anchor the entire line, it wasn't just "not having a big bruising back" that killed us in goal line/short situations last season. Many times we were blown right off the ball.

The line looked pretty good in the Bears game. I suppose you think we need to get some more receivers on this team too?

The line looked pretty good in the Bears game. I suppose you think we need to get some more receivers on this team too?

Yeah, that's right I want us to trade up and draft Michael Crabtree.....then trade next years 1st and 2nd and 3rd to trade back into the 1st to draft Jeremy Maclin.......then we can pick up another WR in the mid rounds this season to be our return specialist and groom for the future to replace Maclin.......because that's exactly what I just said when I was talking about the center position wasn't it?

But hey, the line looked good in the Bears game (a not so good defensive team last year)...lets just ignore all the other games where Myers was tossed around like a rag doll and cost us dearly in some short running situations. I still remember against Pitt. where he was picked up and thrown into Slaton........they literally tackled Slaton, by throwing his center at him.

Last edited:

Do you have any idea what our depth on the oline looks like? Our primary backups at C and G are Chris White and Kasey Studdard. Studdard doesn't even belong on an NFL Roster and Chris White is a fringe NFL player who does offer some flexibility. In additional to that, Chester Pitts is a FA after the season and we have a ton of very important Texans who become FA also. So, his re-signing is definitely in doubt. We MUST get a quality prospect for the interior line out of this draft. If Unger, EWood, or Mack fall to us in the 2nd round I think it's probable that they will at least be a consideration. Otherwise, look for someone like Caldwell, Luigs, Levitre to be taken in the 3rd or 4th.

The recent settlement of LJ, the texans should offer a 4th for him. He's a 1 cut guy that runs downhill and catches the ball well. As long as the greivence follows hinm i would go get johnson.

The recent settlement of LJ, the texans should offer a 4th for him. He's a 1 cut guy that runs downhill and catches the ball well. As long as the greivence follows hinm i would go get johnson.

NOOOOO! We have too many contract situations. We need to get guys like CPitts, KWalter, Dunta, OD, Dryans all extended. I just don't see any value in bringing in a 29 year old RB when we already have Slaton and 8 draft picks. We need to spend 2 draft picks on RBs.
Wouldn't you rather have someone like Shonn Greene or Rashod Jennings dirt cheap for 4 years? We can probably get one of those guys in the 3rd round and the extra money can be used to extend our guys.

NOOOOO! We have too many contract situations. We need to get guys like CPitts, KWalter, Dunta, OD, Dryans all extended. I just don't see any value in bringing in a 29 year old RB when we already have Slaton and 8 draft picks. We need to spend 2 draft picks on RBs.
Wouldn't you rather have someone like Shonn Greene or Rashod Jennings dirt cheap for 4 years? We can probably get one of those guys in the 3rd round and the extra money can be used to extend our guys.

With that ruling by the judge, lj will cost a little more than minimum. So for a 4th rd pick, thats great value.

With that ruling by the judge, lj will cost a little more than minimum. So for a 4th rd pick, thats great value.

If we trade for him, we're on the hook for his salary. He has 1-2 quality years left. He's a headache and I don't think he's better than what we can get in the mid rounds.... It isn't 2005 anymore!

I can also see the texans leverage against some players by drafting them this year. Pitts might be one especially if antoine caldwell is there in the 3rd rd. He can play guard or center and from listening to him on sirius, his iq is through the roof. Get that guy in the 3rd rd and let pitts walk after the year.

If we trade for him, we're on the hook for his salary. He has 1-2 quality years left. He's a headache and I don't think he's better than what we can get in the mid rounds.... It isn't 2005 anymore!

If they trade for him, he'll come without the bonus money owed. I'll find out by e-mailing pat kirwin to know for sure, but i'm positive he's almost free. He and slaton can form a very good tandem without the adjustment for rookie's in pass blocking.

I can also see the texans leverage against some players by drafting them this year. Pitts might be one especially if antoine caldwell is there in the 3rd rd. He can play guard or center and from listening to him on sirius, his iq is through the roof. Get that guy in the 3rd rd and let pitts walk after the year.

I like Caldwell as well. And, I agree that Pitts may be a guy that we have to let walk. However, we'd better acquire more than just Caldwell to let that happen because the interior Oline is already paper thin in depth and talent.

I like Caldwell as well. And, I agree that Pitts may be a guy that we have to let walk. However, we'd better acquire more than just Caldwell to let that happen because the interior Oline is already paper thin in depth and talent.

I agree, but in a ideal scenerio, the line should be 8 deep. Of course a swing tackle, a swing guard and a extra. Pitts was on nfl radio and he is really close with salaam. The way he was talking, the door is open for him to come back if no one offers him anything. The roster limitations and the new no wedge rule is going to effect roster makeup. I think thats why we see the texans getting all these lb's. Those are the majority of the special team guys. Teams must have versitility to avoid wasting roster spots. The no wedge rules basically kills a middle return and takes linemen of the field during kickoffs. So is the texans draft Caldwell who can play center and guard, resign salaam, then their line is set. I'm almost thinking someone is going to get shipped out on the d-line.

If they trade for him, he'll come without the bonus money owed. I'll find out by e-mailing pat kirwin to know for sure, but i'm positive he's almost free. He and slaton can form a very good tandem without the adjustment for rookie's in pass blocking.

Not even close to free even if you remove the already paid bonus money:

2009: $4.55 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2010: $5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2011: $5.3 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2012: $5.9 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/1 + $100,000 workout bonus + $62,500 per-game roster bonuses), 2013: Free Agent. Cap charge: $7.596 million (2009).

from rotoworld - Link

2009 would be 5.65 mil. You going to pay that for a half time RB? You think LJ is going to be happy as a half time RB? Not happening.

Did Chester Pitts kick your dog or something? Your rants on Chester have diseased your credibility (as a NFL observer) over the years...at least in my eyes.

Did Chester Pitts kick your dog or something? Your rants on Chester have diseased your credibility (as a NFL observer) over the years...at least in my eyes.

I don't have any problem with Chester Pitts. I like him and hope we keep him. There have been times over the past few years when I've thought he has been overrated by the fanbase. Also, there have been times when I've lobbied for him to be moved to tackle. In this thread, I was responding to someone that suggested they could replace Pitts with A.Caldwell. My point is that, while I like Caldwell, we don't have the kind of depth at C/G to do that... we would need more interior line acquisitions before that was plausible.

So, I'm not sure why you seem to think I'm criticizing Pitts. I also wrote something about Pitts being the guy we could end up letting go this off-season. Again, I was only responding to the poster that was talking up Caldwell. I think it's likely that we lose Pitts after this year because of the way contracts are breaking. Of the players that will be UFAs regardless of the CBA next season (KWalter, Dunta, CPitts), Pitts is the oldest. I'm assuming that the 4 year guys (OD, RButler, DRyans) will all get deals done this season because of the possibility they won't see the FA market until 2012 if the CBA doesn't get worked out. So, I was suggesting that Pitts would be one of the likelier candidates to be let go due to salary cap issues. I wasn't indicating any kind of personal preference. As a matter of a fact, if you've read my posts concerning the Oline for the past year, you'd know I don't want anything to happen with the OLine that will slow Kasey Studdard's dismissal.

I agree, but in a ideal scenerio, the line should be 8 deep. Of course a swing tackle, a swing guard and a extra. Pitts was on nfl radio and he is really close with salaam. The way he was talking, the door is open for him to come back if no one offers him anything. The roster limitations and the new no wedge rule is going to effect roster makeup. I think thats why we see the texans getting all these lb's. Those are the majority of the special team guys. Teams must have versitility to avoid wasting roster spots. The no wedge rules basically kills a middle return and takes linemen of the field during kickoffs. So is the texans draft Caldwell who can play center and guard, resign salaam, then their line is set. I'm almost thinking someone is going to get shipped out on the d-line.

I hadnt thought about how that rule change would effect rosters. :thinking:

Forget all this football nonsense. I am so greatful that there is someone who can straighten me out. I have been so ashamed of my decisions in my life and most of my comments. My dad always yelled at me "straighten up and fly right!" I immediately corrected my posture but the "fly right" warped my psyche. What exactly did that mean? I remember holding both arms out like wings and started walking slowly to the left. I made engine sounds and tried to pull to the "right" but my evil nature and gravity drove me to the left and I always went head first into a crashed position on the ground. Looking up at the wise sage that was my father I replied "Dad, you were so right!"

Back