Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-08-2009   #1
jshabang
Quality Backup!

Rep Power: 89 jshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respected
Default owen daniels unhappy as well?????

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...exans_contract

man add owens to the list of disgruntled texans.......this sucks......

his agent said winslows contract is a barometer.....what a joke.....

wow this has got to be a nightmare offseason for rick...lol
Old 04-08-2009   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: owen daniels unhappy as well?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshabang View Post
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...exans_contract

man add owens to the list of disgruntled texans.......this sucks......

his agent said winslows contract is a barometer.....what a joke.....

wow this has got to be a nightmare offseason for rick...lol

First of all, I'd rather have OD than Kellen Winslow. I think Winslow is a very good player but he has already had microfracture surgery on his knee. If I'm OD, I think he has a good argument when comparing himself to Winslow.

That being said, with the CBA expiring, there is a mounting threat that OD will loose his opportunity to become a FA in 2010. It is largely this uncertianty that has so many players (OD, DRyans) so adamant about getting a deal done. However, that is a bargaining chip that Rick Smith would be foolish not to use. And, in the end, OD and DRyans will be compelled to take a reasonable deal to avoid missing out on real money for two more years. The only deals to worry about are: KWalter, DRobinson, CPitts... those are the only guys that will be FAs after '09 regardless of the collective bargaining situation. They need to be able to get Walter and Pitts done so they can threaten to use or use the Franchise tag on Dunta again in 2010.

This is what happens when a team has a great draft! 4 years later the team has contract issues. It's actually great news! We have young players that have been producing and there is a market for them!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #3
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12880 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't really get a "disgruntled" feeling from it - mainly just saying that he'd like to get a multi-year deal, rather than just play on the one-year offer, and he would like that to happen before the season. I didn't hear anything about how he felt he was getting a raw deal or anything, currently.

With the Winslow deal, though, I think his expectations/demands are going to be ratcheted up, possibly beyond what the team will pay. Between Daniels, Ryans, and Robinson, I don't think there's much of a way Rick Smith can make them all happy, without really tying up the team's finances for the future.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome to "what you have to deal with when you actually have talent on your team"...

Crappy teams get all their guys checked in on time and don't have "contract situations", because the players they have on their roster usually have no bargaining power, because your team is about the only team they can play for.

We're finally growing up, finally a real NFL team.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #5
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

if he kicks ass this season (proves consistency), the texans'd seem like idiots if we didn't sign him to a multi year deal.

Last edited by powerfuldragon; 04-08-2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: fixed it
powerfuldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
if he kicks ass this season (proves consistency), the texans'd seem like idiots if we didn't sign him to a multi year deal.
The guy has kicked ass just about every opportunity he's been given..(the only difference between this pro bowl year and the year before is people knew his name...that's it, he put up the same production the last two seasons)....Houston should already know his value.

Honestly with all the rifts we're having with DeMeco and Robinson....I'd take Daniels over those two.

Pretty much this order

Daniels/Ryans/Robinson.....we can sign two right now, with Robinson being the odd man out.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

For anyone who complains about the Texans not breaking open the bank for a ton of expensive FA's -- this is why. Our current guys will need to get paid. Owen is a good guy though and from the all the interviews I've read and seen from the voluntary workouts he appears to be happy and content.

Remember also, angry pissed off football players playing on one year contracts also equal very productive ones. See Haynesworth, Albert.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2009   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were Daniels I'd press for a new contract also. You make your moves when you have leverage in life.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #9
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If I were Daniels I'd press for a new contract also. You make your moves when you have leverage in life.
If we dont give him a long term im finding another team.

Old 04-08-2009   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: cheap authentic nfl jerseys www.jersey-china.com

oh no you di-ent

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #11
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
oh no you di-ent
lmao!
Old 04-08-2009   #12
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I finally witness some spam. Maybe being up all night getting nothing done for International Law was worth it.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #13
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to say this, but given these comments and the Robinson / Ryans situation, I have to say I'm a little concerned about Rick Smith. I've liked the moves he's made and what he's done for our team, BUT... I heard from a very reliable source with the team that many of the "players don't like Smith" rumors are true. This wa just a couple days ago.

I hope that's an issue for the agents to hash out, but it still worries me a little when 3 of your stars, who've never really said much the past few years (ok Dunta has lol) through the media, vocally express their displeasure/frustration ...
Old 04-08-2009   #14
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoCRoN View Post
I hate to say this, but given these comments and the Robinson / Ryans situation, I have to say I'm a little concerned about Rick Smith. I've liked the moves he's made and what he's done for our team, BUT... I heard from a very reliable source with the team that many of the "players don't like Smith" rumors are true. This wa just a couple days ago.

I hope that's an issue for the agents to hash out, but it still worries me a little when 3 of your stars, who've never really said much the past few years (ok Dunta has lol) through the media, vocally express their displeasure/frustration ...
The players don't have to like Smith. Smith's job is to make sure the team gets value for what they are spending not bring doughnuts to the locker room every morning.

Bottom line is I think Ryans and Daniels will get taken care of after the draft. Compared to Ryans, Daniels is doing the right thing by showing up for conditioning workouts. He is definitely the kind of player you lock up.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yes, he should get a contract extension and should want one. Unfortunately, the Bucs contract with Winslow is freaking ridiculous. It is so so so bad. Bad for the Texans, bad for the league.

My thoughts, with more words, links and assorted fist shaking:

Discussing Owen Daniels contract extension talks
Old 04-08-2009   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoCRoN View Post

It wouldn't surprise me. It is hard to do the things that GMs have to do and be the most liked guy.

But as for the contract disputes, that is something that happens to all teams that have good players who they want to re-sign. There's differences in value.
Old 04-08-2009   #17
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I think Owen Daniels will get a new contract and so will DeMeco Ryans sometime after the draft, and before the regular season starts. (This is just all speculation on my part though.)

Dunta Robinson on the other hand... I just don't see him being a Texan after this season.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't blame any of these guys for wanting to get paid when they have the opportunity to negotiate a new compensation package. And for that reason I can understand D-Robs reported frustration and even anger with the Texans organization over his contract, subject to what happened between him & his agent vs GM Smith (which is still unclear to me ?) in their negotiations.
But OD has only to look at D-Rob in his '07 season and severe injury to know that any time he steps on the field (even just in practice) he's just one play away from a season-ending or even career-ending injury.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #19
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

rick smith is starting to piss me off a little bit here not wanting to pay the players that win games for us... PAY THEM for F sakes...
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
rick smith is starting to piss me off a little bit here not wanting to pay the players that win games for us... PAY THEM for F sakes...
The only public reports on this are as follows:

1. The Texans have expressed a desire to have long term deals with each of these guys.

2. McClain has reported that DRob was offered Chris Gamble money and DeMeco was offered top 5 MLB money. Hard to know without details, but it sounds at least that they are trying to work things out. DRob's contract is also difficult due to his injury history.

3. Berman reports that Smith talked to OD's agents on Tuesday. The Winslow contract really is screwed up as far as value and OD's contract will be really really difficult to work out in a way that doesn't crush the Texans if OD's reps think that the Winslow contract is a benchmark.

We can blame people all we want but negotiations with good players is not easy to do sometimes. Sometimes it is handled quietly, like with AJ and Winston, but sometimes not so much.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read