Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-07-2009   #1
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ten Nuggets Mined From Mike Mayock

The one that sticks out to me is that he feels this is a week draft for corners.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #2
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ten Nuggets Mined From Mike Mayock

weak*
Old 04-08-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Kind of cool that he sees good value in picks 15-22 and we have pick #15.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #4
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Kind of cool that he sees good value in picks 15-22 and we have pick #15.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that.
Old 04-08-2009   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

He says Stafford @ first pick. Why not go OT and then Detroit gets QB later? If I were Detroit, I think I'd go LT, a LB at #20 and Josh Freeman in 2nd.
Old 04-08-2009   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
He says Stafford @ first pick. Why not go OT and then Detroit gets QB later? If I were Detroit, I think I'd go LT, a LB at #20 and Josh Freeman in 2nd.
If they think Stafford is a franchise guy then they would be stupid to pass on him. It's the most important position on the field and if Stafford is their #1 guy they should take him #1 instead of getting a less talented QB later.

Personally, I don't think he is a franchise QB so I wouldn't take him. But it's the Lions so who knows?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

if it's gonna take a week to draft the corners perhaps we should wait till the second day to nab one....sounds like a deep pool of talent.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2009   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Ha! I thought this said Ted Nuggent mined from Mike Maycock.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #9
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Nugent*
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Nugent*
I know how its spelled but it looked like Nuggent.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its funny that he says Mark Sanchez, the qb who has one season under his belt, "He's the most ready made for the pro game right now.''
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #12
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Ha! I thought this said Ted Nuggent mined from Mike Maycock.
Brother...you beat me to it!!! Rock-On!!!
Old 04-10-2009   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
If they think Stafford is a franchise guy then they would be stupid to pass on him. It's the most important position on the field and if Stafford is their #1 guy they should take him #1 instead of getting a less talented QB later.

Personally, I don't think he is a franchise QB so I wouldn't take him. But it's the Lions so who knows?
Here is the way I see it with their #1 pick. Detroit should only look at our Houston Texans and the two times we picked #1 overall. When we got the QB, he didn't pan out because he came into an already bad situation, no offensive line. When we picked the DE, The Great Super Mario, we ended up getting a Pro Bowler, and in two seasons our team has gone from beatable to respectable. If they go QB, you gotta give him time to adjust to the speed of the NFL and learn the offense and blah blah.

I'm not saying go DE but I am saying to handle the trenches and get better from the inside out, even if that means going offensive line.

Think about the QB situation. They already have Culpepper and though he hasn't been his former self, he is alot better than what you are going to possibly get in a rookie. I would even say, use the other pick on DL.

The Detroit Lions are possibly going to be picking in the top 5-10 next year. The QB draft class next year is going to be way better than that of this year. Mccoy, the kid from Oklahoma (name escapes me right now), Daniels from Missouri just to name a few right off the bat.

That's what I would do with my set of first rounders.
Old 04-10-2009   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I'm sure that any of the top five got an offer good enough, they'd move back. At 3000 points....as we've seen, it makes it virtually impossible to move out of the number one pick. Kiper's theorem is you never pass up a franchise QB. There was pretty significant evidence on several of the other first round QBs who've come out over the last several years. Just look at the carnage. That's what I'd do... When you're that low, fix something rather than draft a coin flip....no matter how well he tests. It's taken Baltimore how many years to hit one ? How many years did it take Buffalo and Denver to find ones to replace Kelly and Elway ? And now Denver is starting over once again. I'm not arguing that the franchise QB isn't the most valuable property on the team. What I'm posting you better be darn sure when you draft one #1 overall.
Old 04-10-2009   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here is the way I see it with their #1 pick. Detroit should only look at our Houston Texans and the two times we picked #1 overall. When we got the QB, he didn't pan out because he came into an already bad situation, no offensive line. When we picked the DE, The Great Super Mario, we ended up getting a Pro Bowler, and in two seasons our team has gone from beatable to respectable. If they go QB, you gotta give him time to adjust to the speed of the NFL and learn the offense and blah blah.

I'm not saying go DE but I am saying to handle the trenches and get better from the inside out, even if that means going offensive line.

Think about the QB situation. They already have Culpepper and though he hasn't been his former self, he is alot better than what you are going to possibly get in a rookie. I would even say, use the other pick on DL.

The Detroit Lions are possibly going to be picking in the top 5-10 next year. The QB draft class next year is going to be way better than that of this year. Mccoy, the kid from Oklahoma (name escapes me right now), Daniels from Missouri just to name a few right off the bat.

That's what I would do with my set of first rounders.
I agree with what you're saying. I don't think Stafford is a franchise guy.

But is Carr the only QB that has ever been drafted #1 overall? Yea Stafford could turn out to be Carr, but what if the Lions think he could be Manning?

If they think he is a franchise guy then they should take him, let him sit a year behind Culpepper, and then start him next year.

Passing on Stafford doesn't guarantee that they will get their guy next year. Bradford is #1 overall material in my mind. He is better than Stafford. I think McCoy is better than Sanchez. Jevan Snead could also be a late 1st/early 2nd guy. Jimmy Clausen will also be eligible for the draft. Chase Daniel already graduated from Missouri. He likely won't get drafted this year.

Point is, yes there are good QBs in next years class, but do the Lions think they can get a better guy than Stafford?
Old 04-10-2009   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I agree with what you're saying. I don't think Stafford is a franchise guy.

But is Carr the only QB that has ever been drafted #1 overall? Yea Stafford could turn out to be Carr, but what if the Lions think he could be Manning?

If they think he is a franchise guy then they should take him, let him sit a year behind Culpepper, and then start him next year.

Passing on Stafford doesn't guarantee that they will get their guy next year. Bradford is #1 overall material in my mind. He is better than Stafford. I think McCoy is better than Sanchez. Jevan Snead could also be a late 1st/early 2nd guy. Jimmy Clausen will also be eligible for the draft. Chase Daniel already graduated from Missouri. He likely won't get drafted this year.

Point is, yes there are good QBs in next years class, but do the Lions think they can get a better guy than Stafford?
Carr is not the only QB drafted #1 overall. However, those teams that did draft #1 overall were bringing their QB to a better situation than what The Texans were in when they drafted Carr. Detroit is kind of in the same situation. When you are 0-16, there usually means you aren't winning at the LOS.

Could he be another Manning? Yes. And your 6th rounder could also be another Brady, that doesn't meant that's going to happen. What we know as Texan fans and what the Detroit Lions should know is that if you have Manning as your QB it will not mean squat if he's on his back as soon as he drops back to pass.
Old 04-10-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Carr is not the only QB drafted #1 overall. However, those teams that did draft #1 overall were bringing their QB to a better situation than what The Texans were in when they drafted Carr. Detroit is kind of in the same situation. When you are 0-16, there usually means you aren't winning at the LOS.

Could he be another Manning? Yes. And your 6th rounder could also be another Brady, that doesn't meant that's going to happen. What we know as Texan fans and what the Detroit Lions should know is that if you have Manning as your QB it will not mean squat if he's on his back as soon as he drops back to pass.
I still agree. If I were in their war room I would be clamoring for Jason Smith.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read