Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-07-2009   #1
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default bah007's Texans Draft

I have recently completed my first 7 round mock of the offseason (I will do one more right before the draft). I would post the whole thing on here but it would take forever and I don't think I would get enough feedback to make it worth my time. So I'll just post the Texans picks...

1 - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
2 - HB LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh
3 - OLB Marcus Freeman, Ohio St
4 - FS Sherrod Martin, Troy
4 - C A.Q. Shipley, Penn St
5 - TE Bear Pascoe, Fresno St
6 - QB Graham Harrell, Texas Tech
7 - OG Greg Isdaner, West Virginia

I was drafting for 31 other teams as well so it didn't fall exactly like I wanted it to for the Texans. I tried to balance need and BPA, but I think I went a little bit closer to BPA on this one.

Top three picks should make an immediate impact (Jackson would platoon with A. Smith). Martin and Pascoe would see the field at some point this year. Shipley and Isdaner would be depth. Harrell would battle Brink as the #3/PS guy (we could develop him and trade him for a better pick than a 6th).

Last edited by bah007; 04-07-2009 at 11:02 PM.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Texans Draft

dont like the top 2 picks at all

the mid rounders are good though especially martin
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Tyson Jackson is a first round talent. He's more similar to Marcus Spears than Mario Williams. Jackson is pretty much a 3-4 DE who had an average career and a very poor Senior year when he was "the man." Way too much hype for the LSU DL.

I'm not a huge fan of McCoy, though I think he would be a solid pick in the second round. I just keep having flashes of Larry Johnson...after his new contract.

I think Freeman is a great pick in that spot. I don't know how much more we need at WOLB, but I think he will be a good player in time. Very solid pick.

Shipley is at about the same level as Myers, so it's not a bad investment to have a backup.

I like Isdander but I just don't know if he has a spot in the NFL. I've generally liked WVU OL, but I just don't know if this kid has it physically.
Old 04-08-2009   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

A DE 1st round would make me hurl. I like the rest of the picks (the ones I know about anyway, McCoy, Shipley, Pascoe, Harrell) but you gotta do something about Tyson Jackson to the Texans. I'd much rather grab Beanie Wells or Moreno and then a 2nd round DE than this way.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #5
Polo

No way do I want to take a rookie to platoon with Smith. He needs to be a big time producer for us.
Old 04-08-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I have recently completed my first 7 round mock of the offseason (I will do one more right before the draft). I would post the whole thing on here but it would take forever and I don't think I would get enough feedback to make it worth my time. So I'll just post the Texans picks...

I'm pretty much with everyone else. I really don't like the first two picks. If we spend a high pick on a DE, it needs to be on a speed rusher. McCoy isn't athletic enough, IMO to go ahead of some of the other really good backs in this draft. I also really don't like the Shipley pick. There are so many really good centers in this draft that I would hate to come out of it with a guy who has a smaller wingspan than Jim Abbott.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64802 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I also don't like us taking Jackson in the 1st. I think he would perform similar to the way Anthony Weaver did if he were put into our 4-3 defense.

It takes ALOT of work to do a 7 round mock though so I could disagree with every pick you made, but I'd still give you props for going through all the work. Nice job!!

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2009   #8
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Martin pick alot, Freeman also. But I have to disagree with Jackson, McCoy, and Harrell. If we did go DE at 15, I'd much rather have Ayers from the real UT. Also, I don't think McCoy is a good fit in our attempts to get a big-body back. He would probably excel in the ZBS scheme, and that might be a reason to get him, but Kubiak has stated many times over he is looking for a big body back to grind out the tough yards. Finally, I just hate Harrell. He was overrated in college because he played in a Madden-like offense. He did have great timing with his recievers and pretty good accuracy, but I don't think he'll be able to convert to a pro-style offense, and I don't think he'll be able to keep plays alive when they blow up. If a play blew up for Tech, he would just stand behind his giant line and hardly even move, which is a credit to his line, but didn't help him any.

But making a 255 pick draft? That seems pretty exhausting to me so I gotta give you props on that one.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I was drafting for 31 other teams as well so it didn't fall exactly like I wanted it to for the Texans. I tried to balance need and BPA, but I think I went a little bit closer to BPA on this one.

Top three picks should make an immediate impact (Jackson would platoon with A. Smith). Martin and Pascoe would see the field at some point this year. Shipley and Isdaner would be depth. Harrell would battle Brink as the #3/PS guy (we could develop him and trade him for a better pick than a 6th).
You would rather have McCoy over Shonn Greene in the 2nd or do you just not think Greene will be there in the 2nd round where we pick?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #10
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like every single pick besides Jackson. I just don't see him fitting into a 4-3 defense. I see him more as a 3-4 DE. I like Mccoy in the 2nd.. I have him as the 2nd best back in this draft (behind Moreno), so I would like the Texans to take a shot at him if he's still there in the 2nd. Freeman, Martin, Shipley & Pascoe are all nice picks in the rounds you have the Texans picking them. I like Graham Harrell as a 6th round pick for the Texans. Have him & Brink battle for the #3 QB spot and groom the winner. I don't know too much about Isdaner, but depth at guard is a good thing. Nice mock.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You would rather have McCoy over Shonn Greene in the 2nd or do you just not think Greene will be there in the 2nd round where we pick?
I don't think Greene will be on our radar. I liked what I saw from him all season long but he apparently didn't interview well with any of the teams at the combine. He has work ethic issues, maturity issues, and apparently has trouble keeping his weight down.
Old 04-08-2009   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

The backlash against the Jackson pick is about what I expected. I've been toying with the idea of several different guys with our first rounder.

I, too, would be disappointed with the Jackson pick only because he doesn't seem to fit our defense. But I tried to approach this as if I wasn't a fan of the team and I think that led me to go into more of a BPA approach.
Old 04-08-2009   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think Greene will be on our radar. I liked what I saw from him all season long but he apparently didn't interview well with any of the teams at the combine. He has work ethic issues, maturity issues, and apparently has trouble keeping his weight down.
Really? Never heard any of that. I'd still take him in a second.
Old 04-08-2009   #14
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64802 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Really? Never heard any of that. I'd still take him in a second.
So even though McCoy is rated as a higher prospect, has not had any red flags, and even you yourself said he would probably excel in the ZBS you would still reach for Green (a 3rd rd prospect) based on the sole fact that he is a "big-body" back despite the fact that he has had numerous red flags, been academically ineligible, etc, etc.? Am I wrong here?

- The Immortal Bo
Old 04-08-2009   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
So even though McCoy is rated as a higher prospect, has not had any red flags, and even you yourself said he would probably excel in the ZBS you would still reach for Green (a 3rd rd prospect) based on the sole fact that he is a "big-body" back despite the fact that he has had numerous red flags, been academically ineligible, etc, etc.? Am I wrong here?
For what it's worth, I'd also take Green before McCoy. I think McCoy's stock has taken a significant hit due to some very poor workouts. Particularly his high jump and long jump hint at a serious lack of explosiveness. Green on the other hand, ran his 40 yard dash in the low 4.5s. Considering his size and strength, that's a great number for him and has calmed my concerns about his being able to run the zone stretch play.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
For what it's worth, I'd also take Green before McCoy. I think McCoy's stock has taken a significant hit due to some very poor workouts. Particularly his high jump and long jump hint at a serious lack of explosiveness. Green on the other hand, ran his 40 yard dash in the low 4.5s. Considering his size and strength, that's a great number for him and has calmed my concerns about his being able to run the zone stretch play.
I personally would rather have McCoy, but at least you gave some good reasons for your choice dale. If he had put up some numbers, or stats, etc. then I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but taking one RB with possible character issues over another RB based on the sole fact that he is a "big-body" back is ridiculous.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 04-08-2009   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't be excited, but wouldn't be pissed off either. Would rather have a linebacker or secondary player.

Quote:
I like it. I think we could get a really good OL here and still get a great compliment for Slaton in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Quote:
Great pick. I think Freeman is overlooked but will be a great pro.

Quote:
Another great pick for the Texans. I like the idea of getting Martin FS or Vaughn SS here in the 4th.

Quote:
Not crazy about this pick. Would have rather fill this hole in 2nd or 3rd round.

Quote:
Good pick.

Quote:
Not a big Harrell fan. I guess its my UT side coming out. :P

Quote:
Never heard of him.

Good overall job. I bet it was hell making all those picks.

I would like to see us get the following:

R1 Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
R2 Max Unger, OL, Oregon
R3 James Casey, TE, Rice
R4 Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest
R4 Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
R5 Henry Melton, DE, Texas
R6 Ellis Lankster, CB, West Virgina
R7 Tony Fiammetta, FB, Syracuse

Trading down for Matthews would make some of the others seem like more of a reality, because round 2-4 could all be gone by the time we pick.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I haven't heard any of that. Bah is the first one that told me that, and so what if he didn't interview so well? And? There hasn't been any horrible things reported about Greene anywhere. And since when does Greene or any other player for that matter need to make his grades to play in the NFL?

And how in the hell would Greene be a "reach?" You might want to actually go watch some of his highlights before calling the guy a reach because by the way you're talking about the guy you don't sound like you've hardly watched any film on him at all. And he isn't a 3rd round prospect either so I don't know where you got that from. Just about everywhere I have looked or read he is expected to go in the middle of the 2nd round exactly where we are in the draft and the round I would like us to draft him at.

And yes, I want the Texans to get a guy who is a very good compliment to Slaton that has strengths that Slaton doesn't have as much. Greene has those strengths. He might be the best pounder in between the tackles in the entire draft actually. He isn't a burner or anything with great speed, but he is very good up the middle and in the trenches fighting for tough yards. That is what we need right now. A guy who can get those short yardage first downs for us and those GL carries that we failed at last season.
Old 04-08-2009   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I personally would rather have McCoy, but at least you gave some good reasons for your choice dale. If he had put up some numbers, or stats, etc. then I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but taking one RB with possible character issues over another RB based on the sole fact that he is a "big-body" back is ridiculous.
What character issues? Please show me some link or some sort of multiple stories that have claimed Greene has all of these character issues that you keep claiming.
Old 04-08-2009   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I see no CB,therefore i can't get behind this mock...

Last edited by Mr teX; 04-08-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read