Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-07-2009   #1
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Winslow Gets Record Deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4047667

"Winslow, according to his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, agreed to a six-year, $36.1 million deal that includes $20.1 million in guarantees. With incentives, the deal could grow to $42.1 million."

Wow. For a guy that has had trouble staying healthy and hasn't been a great locker room guy that is a ton of money. If I am Owen Daniels the bar has been set.
Old 04-07-2009   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Winslow Gets Record Deal

'Cause he's a soldja!!
Old 04-07-2009   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4047667

"Winslow, according to his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, agreed to a six-year, $36.1 million deal that includes $20.1 million in guarantees. With incentives, the deal could grow to $42.1 million."

Wow. For a guy that has had trouble staying healthy and hasn't been a great locker room guy that is a ton of money. If I am Owen Daniels the bar has been set.
The Bucs have lost their minds. They really have. I hate just about everything they have done in the offseason.

Dude has microfracture knee. 20 mil guar for microfracture man?

I'd be interested to see more about the deal.
Old 04-07-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always been a big Winslow fan and think he is mos talented TE in the passing game in the entire league. However I agree with Texans Chick that he has had a lot of injury issues with the broken leg and motercycle accident. That is way to much guaranteed mula to give to a guy with that kind of history. Plus, Winslow isn't a blocking TE either so they're paying all of that dough to a one dimensional TE. He is great at that one dimension, but I'd rather have a guy like Witten and Daniels who can both block well and be a play maker in the passing game.

I don't agree with the poster that said the Bar is set now or anything like that though. If Daniels is trying to make out with cash like that just because Winslow did then I'd let him walk in a second. I don't think Daniels will do that either though.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if Winslow continues his game, injuries, weird health issues, big mouth and all it would be pretty easy to make a case for paying a TE who does everything and more. OD could be a bank breaker...or....like his team leader he could take a deal that doesn't kill a team while still making millions of dollars.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't agree with the poster that said the Bar is set now or anything like that though. If Daniels is trying to make out with cash like that just because Winslow did then I'd let him walk in a second. I don't think Daniels will do that either though.
Whether we keep him or let him walk is irrelevant, the bar is set for Owen. Someone will pay him similar money. Daniels is a young pro bowl TE with much less baggage than Winslow. I didn't think Dunta or DeMeco would do what they are doing but thats the way it is.
Old 04-07-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whether we keep him or let him walk is irrelevant, the bar is set for Owen. Someone will pay him similar money. Daniels is a young pro bowl TE with much less baggage than Winslow. I didn't think Dunta or DeMeco would do what they are doing but thats the way it is.
No one is going to turn around and pay Daniels the same amount of money just because Winslow got a ridiculous deal where he is over paid. You're just jumping to conclusions and assumptions here.
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2009   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

5 years $25 mil. should be enough for the Weatherman.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #9
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No one is going to turn around and pay Daniels the same amount of money just because Winslow got a ridiculous deal where he is over paid. You're just jumping to conclusions and assumptions here.
Dallas Clark got an eerily similar deal a year ago at 6 years 36 mil. Owen still has this season to play under his one year tender. If there is no CBA in place that buys us another year or two. If there is a CBA in place he will be a FA and will have had another highly productive season under his belt. I don't think I would fault our FO if we paid him this kind of money at this time next year. If it is between giving Dunta his 23 mil plus in guarantees or giving Owen a similar deal to Clark and Winslow I would probably side with Owen.
Old 04-07-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Dallas Clark got an eerily similar deal a year ago at 6 years 36 mil. Owen still has this season to play under his one year tender. If there is no CBA in place that buys us another year or two. If there is a CBA in place he will be a FA and will have had another highly productive season under his belt. I don't think I would fault our FO if we paid him this kind of money at this time next year. If it is between giving Dunta his 23 mil plus in guarantees or giving Owen a similar deal to Clark and Winslow I would probably side with Owen.
It just depends on how well Dunta plays. If Dunta plays like a top 5 CB I'd rather lock him down for several years then to try and find another good CB.

I don't want to have to pay any TE any money like that. You can find to many of them that can play pretty well in the passing game or block well. The Bucs simply over paid for a guy that is mainly a slot WR. TE's that don't block at all aren't near as valuable.
Old 04-07-2009   #11
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

HAHA....dumb

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #12
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
'Cause he's a soldja!!
Screw that, I'd want a whole battalion of Winslows for that money!

Shocking huge amounts of money getting thrown around. I'm afraid I just don't get the give Kellen Winslow hell loads of money philosophy of the Bucs.
mattieuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not entirely accurate.

Every time a new deal is signed it sets the market for the next one.

Any TE of relative skill to Winslow will now be aiming for that number. They may not reach it, but their agents will be aiming higher than they would have before the Winslow deal.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #14
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Quote:
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...exans_contract

"Herman said a barometer in these negotiations will be the contract extension tight end Kellen Winslow received from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

Still think I'm just jumping to conclusions? (Office Space flashback)
Old 04-08-2009   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The Bucs have lost their minds. They really have. I hate just about everything they have done in the offseason.

Dude has microfracture knee. 20 mil guar for microfracture man?

I'd be interested to see more about the deal.
It's just another sign that the Mayans may be on to something, since this is another obvious sign of the Apocalypse. Winslow has done nothing in this league. Nothing but take money.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a pure "market guy". Accordingly I don't believe pro jocks, actors,
fortune 500 CEOs, etc. are overpaid or underpaid. They are paid what the market perceives their intrinisic value to be. And these individuals are compensated on their expected future earnings contribution to their firm/employer, not historical, at the time they negotiate a new contract.
Now understand not all markets are equal, i.e., some markets are open and competitive and others are subsidized or regulated or manipulated.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm a pure "market guy". Accordingly I don't believe pro jocks, actors,
fortune 500 CEOs, etc. are overpaid or underpaid. They are paid what the market perceives their intrinisic value to be. And these individuals are compensated on their expected future earnings contribution to their firm/employer, not historical, at the time they negotiate a new contract.
Now understand not all markets are equal, i.e., some markets are open and competitive and others are subsidized or regulated or manipulated.
I do not begrudge what anyone gets paid because I am not a commie.

But the Bucs were stupid for giving Winslow #1 TE money when there are TEs who are more productive than him and stay on the field longer than him and don't have the catastrophic injury history that he does.

The Bucs have lost their minds. In a salary cap league if you pay that much money to a grumbly tight end that doesn't have the production to justify it and has that injury history, you are asking for HUGE trouble. And they had to give up two draft picks for the privilege.

This contract is the joke of the offseason. A bigger joke than the Raider contracts because at least those guys stay on the field.
Old 04-08-2009   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...exans_contract

"Herman said a barometer in these negotiations will be the contract extension tight end Kellen Winslow received from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

Still think I'm just jumping to conclusions? (Office Space flashback)
Yep I still do. I'll wait and see how this turns out and where it goes before I get all up and arms over this. Like Bah pointed out their agents might aim high or even higher but that doesn't automatically mean that the rest of the league is going to pay this same amount of money that Winslow got. It only sets the bar if the rest of the teams around the league are all willing to do the same. Maybe they will be, but I don't think that will be the case just because Winslow got this deal. I'll wait until I see two other TE's get similar extensions or free agent deals first. It could happen and if so that is really bad for the NFL, but I'll wait and see what Daniels does and what a few other TE's get before thinking that this is all of a sudden going to be the new market.
Old 04-08-2009   #19
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Just wait until the salary cap is gone..............
Old 04-08-2009   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I had no clue Winslow could sing......who signed him, what genre? Sorry that was my first thought when I saw the thread title.

But yeah, this is bad deal.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read