Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-06-2009   #1
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Titans Sign Broncos QB Patrick Ramsey

What is the deal here?

Is he expected to be a #2 under Collins, or a #3 Vince Young? Certainly they haven't given up on VY at this point.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #2
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans Sign Broncos QB Patrick Ramsey

He's probably going to be number 3 behind VY kinda like what they did with Chris Simms last year.

Do you have a link? I'd like to read the article.
Old 04-06-2009   #3
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
He's probably going to be number 3 behind VY kinda like what they did with Chris Simms last year.

Do you have a link? I'd like to read the article.
Sure:

http://www.titansonline.com
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I think VY better wake up from his "dumb" state real quickly. There's no coincidence that the Tack's offensive coordinator is being reunited with his own familiar "grasshopper."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Check the Rivalry section
. Already there.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60241
Old 04-07-2009   #6
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...60/1002/SPORTS

Patrick Ramsey's role with the Titans is to be determined. The former first-round pick could be a threat to beat out Vince Young and take over the No. 2 quarterback job behind starter Kerry Collins. Or he could be another arm, the traditional role for a No. 3 quarterback. At the least, Ramsey is insurance in the event Young has a disappointing offseason and training camp. His goal, however, is to unseat Young. "They just told me to come in there and compete, and my idea is just to go in there and play the best football that I can and let the chips fall where they may,'' said Ramsey, who's heading into his eighth season. "Obviously they have an investment in each quarterback on the roster but at the same time I feel if I play well, good things can happen. ? "It is a good goal to go in there and win the second-team job. It's a great opportunity for me there, in an offense I'm familiar with. Hopefully I can fit in well.''

and then from Ben Maller's rumor page... Please note the "Ben's take" blurb at the end. I don't care for that - even if it is just rank speculation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

When the Tennessee Titans announced Friday afternoon that they had signed quarterback Patrick Ramsey to a one-year contract, the talk and speculation immediately centered not on what Ramsey might bring to the table. Instead, it fueled more speculation about the future of Vince Young and what role he will have with the Titans in both the short and long term. Those inside Baptist Sports Park say both publicly and privately that they have not given up on Young, whose rollercoaster career hit a low point in 2008 with his well-chronicled actions in the season opener and aftermath of that game. But the reality is, they haven't exactly given him a vote of confidence either, and the signing of Ramsey signals that Young will have to fight for anything he gets in 2009 and beyond. Ben's Take: Vince Young will end up playing for the Houston Texans before he exits the NFL stage right. -- Nashville City Paper
Old 04-07-2009   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...60/1002/SPORTS

Patrick Ramsey's role with the Titans is to be determined. The former first-round pick could be a threat to beat out Vince Young and take over the No. 2 quarterback job behind starter Kerry Collins. Or he could be another arm, the traditional role for a No. 3 quarterback. At the least, Ramsey is insurance in the event Young has a disappointing offseason and training camp. His goal, however, is to unseat Young. "They just told me to come in there and compete, and my idea is just to go in there and play the best football that I can and let the chips fall where they may,'' said Ramsey, who's heading into his eighth season. "Obviously they have an investment in each quarterback on the roster but at the same time I feel if I play well, good things can happen. ? "It is a good goal to go in there and win the second-team job. It's a great opportunity for me there, in an offense I'm familiar with. Hopefully I can fit in well.''

and then from Ben Maller's rumor page... Please note the "Ben's take" blurb at the end. I don't care for that - even if it is just rank speculation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

When the Tennessee Titans announced Friday afternoon that they had signed quarterback Patrick Ramsey to a one-year contract, the talk and speculation immediately centered not on what Ramsey might bring to the table. Instead, it fueled more speculation about the future of Vince Young and what role he will have with the Titans in both the short and long term. Those inside Baptist Sports Park say both publicly and privately that they have not given up on Young, whose rollercoaster career hit a low point in 2008 with his well-chronicled actions in the season opener and aftermath of that game. But the reality is, they haven't exactly given him a vote of confidence either, and the signing of Ramsey signals that Young will have to fight for anything he gets in 2009 and beyond. Ben's Take: Vince Young will end up playing for the Houston Texans before he exits the NFL stage right. -- Nashville City Paper
Thanks for the text of that article.

I'm not just saying this because I am anti-Titans, anti-VY, and anti-UT.

I am saying what I am about to say because I love football.

Here's what I am saying: There is no way VY will ever play for the Texans. His stock soared to incredible heights after winning the national championship. It wasn't a matter of whether or not he would rule the NFL, it was just an issue of "which team will be lucky enough to get him." Thus commenced an entire hyping campaign that the Texans somehow were able to resist its evil clutches.

If we avoided him, so openly and so blatantly, when his stock was in outer space somewhere near the Klondare region of the Nambian galaxy, then there would be no way this Texans franchise would scoop up the scraps and radioactive wreckage of the failed satellite known as Vince Young.

Nor will anybody else, by the way. He's a run-first QB, and he quit on the team and the fans, and he had a meltdown that was obviously covered up as "just a misunderstanding."

The writer is speculating because he thinks the Texans have a heart of gold and a fool's GM who would take that risk. There is no magic waiting to happen between the Texans and VY. Never was. And never will be. The Texans want to solidify that they know what they are doing, and that homer'ish fans of college programs do NOT. That, in of itself, is reason enough for the Texans to not pick him up at any point in time. Bud made this personal, and McNair is making sure it stays that way.
Old 04-07-2009   #8
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
There is no magic waiting to happen between the Texans and VY. Never was. And never will be. The Texans want to solidify that they know what they are doing, and that homer'ish fans of college programs do NOT. That, in of itself, is reason enough for the Texans to not pick him up at any point in time. Bud made this personal, and McNair is making sure it stays that way.
I believe that to be true, also.

So where does he land in 2011? Who's going to take a shot on Uncle Rico?

More speculation from Ed Thompson from Scout.com on Uncle Rico's future with the Tits:

Up until recently, I was having a hard time figuring out why Tennessee held onto quarterback Vince Young for another season.

Young, who is entering his fourth season in Tennessee will once again be backing up veteran Kerry Collins, who signed a two-year deal during the off-season that included a $4 million signing bonus.

But unless Young renegotiates his current six-year deal, this should be his last season in Tennessee.

After losing the starter's job last year to Collins, Young became a very expensive backup quarterback who hit the team's salary cap for roughly $ 3.9 million. With Young's struggles and his quarterback style being so much different than that of Collins, it seemed likely that the team would shop him around during the off-season.

But his current contract made that virtually impossible.

According to a source, Young's cap hit for this season is $4.6 million, including a $2.16 million base salary. Had the Titans decided to release him this year, they would have been responsible for roughly $7.4 million in dead money. While the fourth-year quarterback can also earn up to $5.7 million in " not likely to be earned bonuses" it's even less likely that he'll see any of that money while watching the action from the sidelines this season.

But in 2010, Young's cap hit more than triples to $ 14.2 million. While the Titans would have to accept a cap hit of $4.9 million next year by releasing him, they would avoid paying out the $7.5 million base salary commitment called for in Young's contract and a $4.25 million roster bonus.

Although it's likely that neither Collins or Young will be with the Titans heading into the 2011 season, don't expect to see Tennessee use a high draft pick on a young quarterback to begin grooming this year. After all, they're still paying a hefty price for the last young quarterback that they drafted in the first round of the 2006 NFL draft.
Old 04-07-2009   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans could use VY and it would be instant playoffs for them. I mean c'mon, the Titans have not missed the playoffs since drafting him. You can talk defense all you want but we all know VY has "it" and no matter if he is on the field or the sidelines he just wills his team to victory. Has the NFL ever seen a better cheerleader? ... (and we thought the Titans got rid of their male cheerleaders).

C'mon Bob do the right thing and make the move. Maybe that mattress guy (or was it furniture) can take out another ad.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are champions if for no other reason than avoiding TWO over-hyped, over-sensationalized NCAA football players at the same time.

Isn't it fair to say that about 80% of fans and media thought the Texans had just overlooked the Michael Jordan(s) of football?

We want our team to go to the playoffs. We want a title. But I think we did something almost as good: We withstood the artillery fire from those fans and media, crawled out of our fox hole and overran their front lines.

That stuff is going to last a long time. There's MAJOR talking heads at the sports media outlets who are easily on record as saying that the Texans were soooooooooo stupid. Soooooo dumb. "How can they do THIS?!?!?"

LOL.

If we make the playoffs, and continue building a solid team for the next few seasons, this is going to go down as a MAJOR "win" for the Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read