Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-05-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Have NFL Top Draft Picks Become.......

........a burden rather than a blessing. [I have submitted this thread to this forum instead of the 2009 Draft forum because it is a general question involving all NFL teams each year.......with more and more potential impact. If the Mods feel it would best be moved, so be it.]

I've heard for many years this same concern........and each year, there are more and more teams trying to trade out of the top picks, especially the #1 pick. This year is no exception with Detroit. The top pick teams are not those one pick from a great team. They usually need several key players to make them even competitive. Once the #1 pick is paid the mind-boggling guaranteed $$$$$$$, teams limit themselves on bettering themselves through other options............yet there are no guarantees to the team that player will be immediately productive, let alone EVER! It almost appears that happless teams have more potential to be overall penalized, not rewarded with this poorly thought out system having been allowed to evolve and "escalate" into a monster. I guess their reward comes next year when they are forced back to the trough of another high pick.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #2
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Have NFL Top Draft Picks Become.......

I think this is one of the biggest reasons that the NFL owners opted out of the collective bargaining agreement.

Under the current structure, I would consider it a real curse if the Texans ever again earned anything higher than the 10th overall draft pick, for financial reasons alone.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The system is broken.

This is why the majority of owners are wanting to have an uncapped year in 2010.

They are trying to force the NFLPA into a rookie wage scale among other things.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL needs to step in and solve this problem with Rookie salaries. What concerns me also is the fact that former top picks are given a $hitload of money and then if they turn into complete draft busts...that puts the team back 3-4 years. Do you wanna' know why the Lions have been unable to compete?

It's because they have drafted so many busts that they've spent money on and now are no longer with the team. I feel that teams are "robbed" of there money and more importantly the fans themselves. I also blame part of the problem on sports agents.

Maybe there is one solution, this is a little far fetched but maybe the pre-season and regular season can be pushed apart by a few months. Sign Rookies for the preseason and have them play during games, rate there performances, and then when the regular season starts a few months later you can sign them to a long term contract.

I think the FO and GMs need to wise up and add certain clauses to there contracts for Rookies and other players. Put things in like, "If you are sent to prision or get caught for illegial dog fighting then you have to return such-and-such amount of your salary back to the team and forfit your signing bonus, etc etc."
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

We could see teams just letting the clock expire on their top picks to soften their "hit."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Do a better job scouting would be a start.

I would have never taken David Carr, Alex Smith and Reggie Bush and I never played a down of organized football. It ain't rocket science.
Old 04-06-2009   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it depends on the players coming out that year.

When you have a year with 2-3 franchise players at the top of the draft then the media ask coaches if they are loosing games on purpose to get the #1 pick so they can take player X. But when we have a year like this, with no consensus #1 pick, then we have discussions about how much the player is going to get.

I don't remember alot of griping about how much the Texans were going to have to pay Mario Williams #1 money.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2009   #8
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

My answer to the question is a resounding YES!!!

The NFL desperately needs a rookie wage standard. I do not understand why the players union would be against it. Having an untried rookie being the top paid player at his position is ridiculous. I guess it inflates salaries for the veterans, but I hate it. I also strongly believe it contributes to the number of high level 1st round busts. Some people have the drive to push hard no matter what the distractions, but not everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I don't remember alot of griping about how much the Texans were going to have to pay Mario Williams #1 money.
People were too busy gripping about taking him period. LOL. But seriously, we would have had to shell out a hell of a lot more money signing Bush or VY. We did the NFL a favor that year from a salary standpoint.

Last edited by GlassHalfFull; 04-06-2009 at 08:20 AM.
GlassHalfFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We could see teams just letting the clock expire on their top picks to soften their "hit."
It would be too obvious if some team tried this.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I think it depends on the players coming out that year.

When you have a year with 2-3 franchise players at the top of the draft then the media ask coaches if they are loosing games on purpose to get the #1 pick so they can take player X. But when we have a year like this, with no consensus #1 pick, then we have discussions about how much the player is going to get.

I recall several posters talking about the reason the Texans could not trade down was because the amount of money that the first pick is guaranteed.

It was the year that Casserly claims that he called a GM about trading down and that GM asked Charlie "what else besides the first pick are you going to me to move up?"
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote "yes" to a rookie salary cap.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #12
Polo

Top picks are only a burden when you don't draft right...

Mario isn't a burden nor is AJ...
Old 04-06-2009   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
It would be too obvious if some team tried this.
Perhaps obvious is what's needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Partially true. Some years there just aren't that many players worth that kind of money. And some years, even when you do take the guy that you feel is worth that kind of money, most of the other teams, the media, and your own fans vilify you for daring to take a guy who wasn't "worth" the #1 pick. See your example, Mario.
Old 04-06-2009   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
........a burden rather than a blessing. [I have submitted this thread to this forum instead of the 2009 Draft forum because it is a general question involving all NFL teams each year.......with more and more potential impact. If the Mods feel it would best be moved, so be it.]

I've heard for many years this same concern........and each year, there are more and more teams trying to trade out of the top picks, especially the #1 pick. This year is no exception with Detroit. The top pick teams are not those one pick from a great team. They usually need several key players to make them even competitive. Once the #1 pick is paid the mind-boggling guaranteed $$$$$$$, teams limit themselves on bettering themselves through other options............yet there are no guarantees to the team that player will be immediately productive, let alone EVER! It almost appears that happless teams have more potential to be overall penalized, not rewarded with this poorly thought out system having been allowed to evolve and "escalate" into a monster. I guess their reward comes next year when they are forced back to the trough of another high pick.

It is a burden when those once in a lifetime athletes aren't littered at the top..... like this year. You didn't hear all this whining & trade down talk in 2001 / 2006 when teams had the chance to pick up the "super talents" Vick, Bush & Young () & Tomilinson. It's all relative to what kind of talent is up there.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #15
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Its an interesting one. I think the past few years have seen a few teams paying out huuuuge amounts of $ to players who just aren't that good in the NFL. Call it weak draft classes, call it bad decisions in who to draft, whatever, but the trouble is the high profile busts, and the amount of money that costs makes teams damn scared.

Another key issue if plug in and play. Teams parting with top ten draft money want that money to get them playing time straight away. A rookie out the draft equates to a good solid starter veteran, in monetary terms. Teams don't really want to wait a year or two of playing a player in situations, or as a backup when they are investing so much of their money in the first round of the draft.

The answer my friends is simple. If you get stuck with a top ten pick, hype up the best kicker coming out of college, and give him a cheap 6 year contract, and save yourself the money of having to pick the next big bust.

Quote:
It is a burden when those once in a lifetime athletes aren't littered at the top..... like this year. You didn't hear all this whining & trade down talk in 2001 / 2006 when teams had the chance to pick up the "super talents" Vick, Bush & Young () & Tomilinson. It's all relative to what kind of talent is up there.
True that. There is one player in this draft that makes me think, 'damn that kid is something else'. That man is Aaron Curry.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #16
Polo

If you don't think any of the top players are worth the top pick, then let the time expire and make your selection when you think the time is right...
Old 04-06-2009   #17
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69048 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Once I saw Jake Long was getting 30.5M guaranteed on a 57M 5 year deal, I knew a rookie cap was a done deal, whether the players want it or not. When a rookie is making a similar bonus to the league's top QBs and RBs, they have to fix it, or the monster becomes too big.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #18
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Partially true. Some years there just aren't that many players worth that kind of money.
I think that every year there are atleast 10 players worth the top ten picks...

Sometimes those players go undrafted, or aren't picked until the seventh round, but every year there are players that are top ten worthy...It's up to the teams to find those players...

For instance...It would have been dumb to take Tom Brady #1 overall, but as it stands today he would have been worth the pick...The salaries are too high for those picks, but there are always players in every draft that are top ten worthy and will eventually stand out from the pack...

One of the more difficult things for teams to track is where other teams value players....Slaton was probably worth a 1st or 2nd rounder, but it wouldn't have been smart to take him there when we could have gotten him in the third...
Old 04-06-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

IMO, if a team's picking in the top 5, odds are they suck in the trenches. I've never been a fan of teams taking QB's in the top 5 because they'll likely have to start too early behind an OLine that likely sucks.

The Lions should take one of the OT's at #1 overall instead of the QB.
Old 04-06-2009   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Once I saw Jake Long was getting 30.5M guaranteed on a 57M 5 year deal, I knew a rookie cap was a done deal, whether the players want it or not. When a rookie is making a similar bonus to the league's top QBs and RBs, they have to fix it, or the monster becomes too big.
I don't think the veteran players would necessarily be against a rookie cap, and they are the ones that vote. The rookie salaries reduce the cap room for the vets.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read