Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-19-2005   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O line ideas, draft and small shift

I have seen many mocks having alex barron falling to at least us. He is deffinitly the best O linemen in the draft. would anyone be opposed to us drafting barron and moving wand to RT or RG whichever one weigert plays.
Pitts
Barron
Mikiny...im hoping for a 3rd round pickup....maybe brown?
Wade (or Wand)
Wand (or Wade)

i think wand will be a good nfl player, but i dont know if i trust him w/carr's blindside. strong side i do already.

how does that idea sound to everyone?
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

if we pick up some quality d line FAs and get a good pass rusher, then no.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #3
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
...i think wand will be a good nfl player, but i dont know if i trust him w/carr's blindside. strong side i do already...
I think you are a little too anxious and premature on your opinion of Wand. In his first year as a starter, Pitts gave up 15.5 sacks while having 9 penalties. He improved to only 5.75 sacks but with 17 penalties his second year. This year, his first as a starter, Wand gave up 12.5 sacks with 3 penalties. I expect him to make significant improvement next year. As a point of veteran comparison, this year McKinney gave up 4 sacks with o penalties, Wade gave up 6 sacks with 3 penalties and Weigart gave up 4.5 with 3.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

why get rid of Wiegert? am i the only guy who remembers DD picking up huge yardage as he ran behind wiegert in 2003?

Wiegert, Wand, Pitts, and Wade.. these guys are all fine.. they are capable and potentially dominant. McKinney may need an upgrade and I like Jason brown in the 3rd.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

hold on hold on.. McKinney gave up 4 sacks with 0 penalties and we are ready to crucify him? Ive been going off of everyone elses opinions on him.. if that is all he gave up.. why are we so anxious to get rid of him? other than his "We are the greatest Oline in the world" comments.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #6
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I think the comments were the main thing, although giving up sacks doesn't tell all, his run blocking isn't top notch, and although he doesn't always give up sacks, there are times he is beaten. Finding someone in the draft who can challenge him for his spot in the next couple of years is a smart move.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #7
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
hold on hold on.. McKinney gave up 4 sacks with 0 penalties and we are ready to crucify him? Ive been going off of everyone elses opinions on him.. if that is all he gave up.. why are we so anxious to get rid of him? other than his "We are the greatest Oline in the world" comments.
Despite the general opinion of this board, McKinney is generally considered by scouts to be one of the top centers in the league, usually ranking about #10. He is a finese style player, smart, steady and dependable. But he is not elite and the position could be improved. Jacquescas is right on.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2005   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yeah it's been a popular thing on this board to blame mckinney for a lot of the problems with the o-line...here's how i see our o-line

wade: our best o-lineman right now...had some injury problems and was getting used to our new zone blocking scheme...next year look for him to be one of the top 5 tackles in the game

weigert: maybe our best run blocker but is often injuried and is only average in pass protection...seems to have problems with stronger DT's in pass protection

mckinney: solid center how seems to have his bad games against jacksonville...go figure everyone else does too...needs to use more leverage against those bigger dt's

pitts: had a rough start to the season getting used to LG...maybe our second best run blocking when you look at the fact that most of DD's touchdowns came from running behind pitts...needs to refine his pass blocking while being a LG

wand: ok everyone likes this guy...i don't...i think he needs to seriously get stronger...needs to be able handle guys like freeney by himself because that's his job...also...he seemed to have some trouble recognizing stunts by the d-line and linebackers so needs to spend more time the film room

that's the way i see our o-line...personally i'm old school thinking in the draft we need to bring in atleast 3 new guys for the o-line...i like brandon evans last year and hope he can upseat someone like milford brown or fred weary
Old 01-20-2005   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
I think you are a little too anxious and premature on your opinion of Wand. In his first year as a starter, Pitts gave up 15.5 sacks while having 9 penalties. He improved to only 5.75 sacks but with 17 penalties his second year. This year, his first as a starter, Wand gave up 12.5 sacks with 3 penalties. I expect him to make significant improvement next year. As a point of veteran comparison, this year McKinney gave up 4 sacks with o penalties, Wade gave up 6 sacks with 3 penalties and Weigart gave up 4.5 with 3.
any idea what Pitts sack give away for 04 was? see you have everyone listed but him.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
any idea what Pitts sack give away for 04 was? see you have everyone listed but him.
Pitts gave up 6 sacks (5.75 last year) with 7 (8 last year) false starts and 3 (7 last year) holding calls.
Old 01-20-2005   #11
Joeymousepad
Rookie

[quote=Bottle-O-Bud]You got to know your facts men!!!!

Here they are accorrding to Bottle:

1) Wand IS OUR LT! Simple! nuff said. We did not start him 16 games just to replace him. Less he totaly F's up his off season work out.

2) Pitts IS OUR LG! Capers always believed Pitts was a natural guard. He is not going back to LT with his questionable feet. He will learn the zone....

Sure they're good and people like them but if something better comes along we have to take it. Wand is good I agree but he'll never be a Pace or even wade. However people feel that Jammal and Barron will be franchise type LTs.
Old 01-20-2005   #12
Joeymousepad
Rookie

Also Elton will definatly be better than pitts and if selected will probably start at LG.
Old 01-20-2005   #13
astrofan
Veteran

Dylan Gandy from Pflugerville is a much better center than anyone available in this draft
the instant he signed he would be our best pass protector
he can also play either guard position well and he has longsnapper experience
(actually, he is from Harlingen, but played his highschool ball for Pflugerville)
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read