Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-20-2005   #21
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

with all the wheeling and dealing that happens on draft day.. a possible package could be:

2005 1st
2006 1st

for our

2005 1st
2005 3rd (from dallas)

this would be more than fair I would think.. and one of my biggest complaints with our drafting.. really my ONLY complaint cause we have done awesome.. is that we have never stockpiled picks. Nothing beats going into a good draft with your pick of the litter... and next year looks like its gonna be a good draft.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #22
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I think the offensive line is not going to change. Wand played well in his first year. Pitts did well his first year in the new position minus alot of penalties, and the right side was solid. We need more interior line help than on the outside, and no one spends a top 15 pick on interior lineman.

The only pick that will help the pass and run game will be getting a TE. If you can go with Miller at 13 or trade down just a couple spots to assure someone of Rolle. but it would be hard to give Carolina the chance at Miller.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this must be a much better draft than 2003, if your telling me that Elton Brown is the 24th rated player compared to Jorden Gross selected #8? Yes I have noticed (I use Huddle) that EB is rated the #1 Guard but @ positon 33, that the next #1 rated position is the Center @ 77, followed by Punters @ 92, Kickers @ 98 & Fullback @ 222. what does it all mean **** I don't know?

thanks DC_ROCK for the help with the pics, just testing.....

Last edited by beerlover; 01-20-2005 at 10:36 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #24
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
pretty good mock...I was shocked to see Rolle available at 13...He doesn't address our most pressing needs, but it would be hard to pass up that much potential at that pick...
WOW! You guys are willing to use the 13th pick in first round on a guy the mock draft suggests may not start for 1-2 years? We must be stronger than I thought. I like what I hear about Rolle, but isn't dline a bigger need? I strongly believe Payne will be gone as someone will pay him more than the minimum Texans will offer.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
I strongly believe Payne will be gone as someone will pay him more than the minimum Texans will offer.
What in the world would make you think the Texans will only offer Payne minimum? Casserly said the 1st priority of the off-season was resigning Texans' free agents. The Texans for good or bad have shown a willingness to look past injuries--remember Walker signed his possibly too big contract after missing the majority of 2003. Also, Payne's injury is getting overblown. The surgery he is having is the same one Walker had during the off-season before his 2002 Pro-Bowl season. I'm betting on a 3-4 year contract for Payne at about $3 mil per year.
Old 01-20-2005   #26
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
What in the world would make you think the Texans will only offer Payne minimum? Casserly said the 1st priority of the off-season was resigning Texans' free agents. The Texans for good or bad have shown a willingness to look past injuries--remember Walker signed his possibly too big contract after missing the majority of 2003. Also, Payne's injury is getting overblown. The surgery he is having is the same one Walker had during the off-season before his 2002 Pro-Bowl season. I'm betting on a 3-4 year contract for Payne at about $3 mil per year.
I'd jump at $3m as being good for Texans but I think others will offer more. The minimum suggestion was the response I got from Charlie Pallilo today when I suggested Payne will be gone. Your note about Walker seems to comfirm my point. Subtract Payne's injury games and all I can say is he had 2
solid years. I think we need powerful addition to dline rather than a solid player. I've heard radio callers say, Walker, Payne and Smith played well below expectations most of this season.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've heard radio callers say, Walker, Payne and Smith played well below expectations most of this season.
Listen to radio callers long enough and you will hear someone say Matt Stevens was an excellent FS and that AJ is a bust.
Old 01-20-2005   #28
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
WOW! You guys are willing to use the 13th pick in first round on a guy the mock draft suggests may not start for 1-2 years? We must be stronger than I thought. I like what I hear about Rolle, but isn't dline a bigger need? I strongly believe Payne will be gone as someone will pay him more than the minimum Texans will offer.
The fact that Rolle wouldn't start is not neccesarily a bad thing. Rookies rarely succeed in their first year anyway. It is possible they move him to safety but I doubt it.

If there's a guy like Rolle on the board at 13, I see no way you can pass him again.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #29
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

People need to understand that Robinson's success as a rookie corner (minus a couple early games) is not the norm. If AG can still go then there's nothing wrong with a rookie CB starting out in a S or nickel situation for his first year. (Eugene Wilson for the Patriots)

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #30
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
People need to understand that Robinson's success as a rookie corner (minus a couple early games) is not the norm. If AG can still go then there's nothing wrong with a rookie CB starting out in a S or nickel situation for his first year. (Eugene Wilson for the Patriots)
I think I just said that hahha
Old 01-20-2005   #31
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea I know, I was backing it up/adding to it with another post since I was bored.
Old 01-20-2005   #32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Rolle fell to #13, I'd s*** my pants... and if we didn't take him, I'd faint.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #33
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be the only guy on the board who thinks so.. but I think Faggins could handle being a starter for us until Rolle was ready... if Faggins doesnt become a better CB in the long run. (this is assuming that Glenn either completely loses his talent, or retires)

as for us taking Rolle being a bad move cause it doesnt fit our needs.. im still not 100% there but im starting to wrap my mind around the concept that it really doesnt matter WHAT we need in the draft.. drafting the BPA is the best route to go. Obviously we may think twice if Aaron Rodgers was available to us.. since we really really dont need him.. but other than that.. i think any player at any position is fair game, so long as they are a sure thing.
Old 01-20-2005   #34
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan281
If Rolle fell to #13, I'd s*** my pants... and if we didn't take him, I'd faint.
****ting your pants and then fainting could be really bad when you finally do wake up...

Old 01-20-2005   #35
Grid
Hall of Fame

Hey Texansfan88.. any way that Anttaj Hawthorne falls to us? I think he would be an awesome pick.
Old 01-20-2005   #36
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

Oh yeah that is a BIG chance Hawthorne being on the board when we draft. Should we get him at #13........I don't think so. He probably will be up until the late teens, early twenties.

I think there is a decent chance Rolle being up at #13. With Adam Jones fastly becoming the best CB, Rolle should be the #2 CB taken, and the only team that has the possibilty of taking him before #13 is Dallas. What they do, well it will either be Rolle or whoever DL is available. Thomas Davis could also be an option for them with Woodson officialy gone.

If Rolle is still available, then yeah I think we will be making a lot of phone calls and using up all of that 15 minutes. I'm wondering also if Faggins can't be Glenn's replacment, I mean this guy is improving so much.........If we trade down, then I think we should want more than what this pick is worth, something like the Titans did to us
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #37
Grid
Hall of Fame

yah looking at this draft I see he isnt taken until 20.. didnt check that beforehand. Honestly in alot of the mocks ive looked at lately ive seen him fall before 13.. or right around 13. Personally.. I think that if his personality is right.. he may be the best Dlineman in the draft for a 3-4.
Old 01-20-2005   #38
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Hey Texansfan88.. any way that Anttaj Hawthorne falls to us? I think he would be an awesome pick.
Hey Grid,

I talked to Anttaj the other day and he said that the Cardinals are drawing a whole lot of interest in him (a trade down possibly)

Hawthorne started on my board back in June as the #1 prospect and has just kept taking a nose dive with his overshadowed play by Erasmus James.

At this point, I think he'd be a reach at 13, but a very valuable pick at say 19, in which the Texans might try to work something with the Rams if say Jammal Brown was available. (Panthers at 14 would take him if he was there)

I don't want to see Taj in a Texan Uni though. He's a great 4-3 DT, but I don' think he'd fit in well as a 3-4 lineman. Sure, size isn't the issue, it's the fact he would have to learn a new position and find out what it's like to try to break a double team...every play.

Last edited by texansfan88; 01-20-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2005   #39
AndreJ
All Pro

I was just on ESPN's website in the NFL 2005 draft section and they haad a comment suggesting that Antrelle Rolle would really help Kansas City's defense. So he could very well fall as low as us. We pick thirteen and i believe KC has either 14 or 15. So we could steal one away from them.
Old 01-20-2005   #40
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
I was just on ESPN's website in the NFL 2005 draft section and they haad a comment suggesting that Antrelle Rolle would really help Kansas City's defense. So he could very well fall as low as us. We pick thirteen and i believe KC has either 14 or 15. So we could steal one away from them.
Did anyone even read my mock draft? lol

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read