Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-01-2009   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Heres how I see our first round game plan

Kubiack
As far as where we might get that back, well, you dont know that until you evaluate the draft and set your board and see how many good ones you have rated to go in what round Kubiak said. if there are eight backs you really like, then you know youll probably have to go in the first three rounds to get one.If there are 15, then you might be able to wait until the fourth or fifth rounds.

This IMO is a good tell on how we aproach the draft.

Texans owner Bob McNair:
there are a lot of linebackers available. We ought to be able to get another good linebacker. We would like to strengthen our defensive secondary some more, too. Mainly, the defense is what well be looking for, but at the same time we need to have a big, strong running back to complement Steve Slaton

We would love to see some of the highly rated players fall down to us. You never know will can happen. One of the good things about it, though, there is more depth in the linebacking corps this year than there has been in other year, and we need some more help there. There is a very good possibility that there will be an impact player available. I think also there are some good defensive backs out there, too. We'll be looking at that. I think we will be able to get that impact player; I hope we will in that first pick.

We were able to trade down and we picked up another pick. If we can do that, we certainly would. There is a possibility with the depth at some of the positions that we might be able to do that and still get the player that we want.

After reading these quotes its obvious that Secondary, LB and RB are our priority's early in this draft. "there are a lot of linebackers available. We ought to be able to get another good linebacker. We would like to strengthen our defensive secondary some more, too. Mainly, the defense is what well be looking for, but at the same time we need to have a big, strong running back to complement Steve Slaton.". And after doing a little calculating I think we can figure out our game plan for our first pick.

First off we are going to wait and see if any of the top impact players fall to us. "We would love to see some of the highly rated players fall down to us."

Next move Draft Impact player that falls to us.
Players that fit that criteria. I can see 2 players that are rated to go before 15 that could fall that play the positions listed.
Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State top ten player Impact
Chris Wells, Ohio State Top ten player impact

I cant see a impact LB that could fall that fits. Maybe Cushing but I dont know if I would classify him as a faller if available at 15.

Next move, if none of the top players fall to us its time to look for a trade down. "We were able to trade down and we picked up another pick. If we can do that, we certainly would.".

So IMO we are either going to go with whomever falls between Wells or Jenkins (obviously Jenkins being higher rated) or if not available try and trade down and take the best LB, S or RB available that fits our needs. That being Cushing or Mathews and I wouldnt count out Darius Butler, James Laurinaitis, Donald Brown or Alponso Smith depending how far we trade down.
Old 04-01-2009   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Heres how I see our first round game plan

Or in other words, we have no clue what they will do. As we do not know if anyone Texans want will drop, or someone they do not want is there at #15 and a team or more below us wants that player and offers a sweeeet deal, or there is no one there we want & can trade down and still get a guy we can use later so we can say we did not over reach. Also, often a team will reach out and draft someone and we scratch our heads as to why. I am really hoping that happens above us this year.
Old 04-01-2009   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why everyone just thinks we are going to trade down as if there are tons of teams clamoring to trade their picks to move up this year. This isn't a real deep first round draft to where a lot of teams will want to trade up and give up a 3rd rounder like they did last season. If we do trade down, I doubt any team will give us a 3rd rounder to do it. We'd most likely be getting an extra 4th. I highly doubt that we'll be trading down this season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't know why everyone just thinks we are going to trade down as if there are tons of teams clamoring to trade their picks to move up this year. This isn't a real deep first round draft to where a lot of teams will want to trade up and give up a 3rd rounder like they did last season. If we do trade down, I doubt any team will give us a 3rd rounder to do it. We'd most likely be getting an extra 4th. I highly doubt that we'll be trading down this season.
Unless someone falls like one of the top OT or a QB?

Also, whatever trade happens for Cutler will certainly change what happens.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've posted the same thoughts in the past and the closer we get to the draft, the stronger I feel that 1st round trades will be scarce.

I'll still hold on to some hope that a team finds a player worthy enough to garner a trade
Old 04-01-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I've posted the same thoughts in the past and the closer we get to the draft, the stronger I feel that 1st round trades will be scarce.

I'll still hold on to some hope that a team finds a player worthy enough to garner a trade
I just don't see why a lot of teams in the back of the 1st would want to do it this season. People act like since we did it last season that it's just this easy ordeal that you can pull every season and yank someone's 3rd rounder. It's possible, but not that likely this season with so many different guys in the first that have question marks here and there. This isn't a deep 1st round draft at all in my opinion and I think there might be several teams wanting to trade down just like we might because a lot of the late 1st round talent could just as easily be as good as the early 1st rounders, so I imagine that if the Texans are wanting to go this route again, there will also be a lot of other teams as well. And with that being said, I think the most that teams will be willing to give up to move up might just be a an extra 4th rounder.
Old 04-01-2009   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't see why a lot of teams in the back of the 1st would want to do it this season. People act like since we did it last season that it's just this easy ordeal that you can pull every season and yank someone's 3rd rounder. It's possible, but not that likely this season with so many different guys in the first that have question marks here and there. This isn't a deep 1st round draft at all in my opinion and I think there might be several teams wanting to trade down just like we might because a lot of the late 1st round talent could just as easily be as good as the early 1st rounders, so I imagine that if the Texans are wanting to go this route again, there will also be a lot of other teams as well. And with that being said, I think the most that teams will be willing to give up to move up might just be a an extra 4th rounder.
Hell, I'd still do it for a 4th, depending how many spots we're moving back.
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2009   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see it as sort of like the the Jay Cutler trade talks or some of the basketball trades. I can take the guy you did little with and make him better player. It only takes 2 teams interested in Cutler and the price goes up. Same with the draft. A team thinks they will hit it rich if they take a guy that will go before their pick. Let's say you are sitting @ #25 and are convinced a DE will change your life style. The really high rated guys are gone by your pick but you could get Michael Johnson at #15. Your defensive gurus tell you he can become "sliced bread" under their tutelage. Hey the kid went to college in your state! You just might do a deal.

The Brown trade involved the Ravens wanting a QB named Flacco from Delaware of all places. That got us a starting LT, Moldin who some think may end up being the best CB on the roster and D Barber that might be the starting SS. And a QB may just be there at #15 for someone to say, "Gotta have him."

My 1st wish? Raji at #15. Next wish? A one anna three anna 6.
Old 04-01-2009   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hell, I'd still do it for a 4th, depending how many spots we're moving back.
I don't think a 4th would really be worth it. Now if we're going to pick up Mathews in the 1st, then hell do it for the 4th because I don't think Mathews is worth a 1st round pick let alone the 15th pick.
Old 04-01-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I don't think a 4th would really be worth it. Now if we're going to pick up Mathews in the 1st, then hell do it for the 4th because I don't think Mathews is worth a 1st round pick let alone the 15th pick.
Yeah, that's really my point. Most of, if not all of the true top 1st round talent will be gone by 15 anyway. So, why not get a 4th and possibly a 6th to trade back to where the player would be a little more worthy of his draft spot.

Eh, all this mocking, guessing and hoping is beginning to suck. The next three weeks are going to max out the suckatude scales. Good Lawd!
Old 04-01-2009   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60123
Old 04-01-2009   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Or in other words, we have no clue what they will do. As we do not know if anyone Texans want will drop, or someone they do not want is there at #15 and a team or more below us wants that player and offers a sweeeet deal, or there is no one there we want & can trade down and still get a guy we can use later so we can say we did not over reach. Also, often a team will reach out and draft someone and we scratch our heads as to why. I am really hoping that happens above us this year.
For some reason everyone wants to say we are staying put and drafting player A or we are trading down and drafting player B. Its not that simple. RB, Secondary and LB seem to be our main goal in this draft. I beleive we have targeted 2 players that could be labled impact players that fill those positions. Dont see a LB rated that high that I would consider an impact or upper level type player. If neither of those players are available we will TRY and trade back and regardless of whether we do or not we will take the highest player on our board which I believe will be between these players.

Cushing or Mathews or Darius Butler or James Laurinaitis or Donald Brown or Alponso Smith.

Every move we make depends on what happens in front of us. Every move is considered. That is a game plan. Its just more complicated than what people want it to be.
Old 04-01-2009   #13
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

There's certain players someone might trade up to 15 for. Sanchez, Percy Harvin, Andre Smith.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
For some reason everyone wants to say we are staying put and drafting player A or we are trading down and drafting player B. Its not that simple. RB, Secondary and LB seem to be our main goal in this draft. I beleive we have targeted 2 players that could be labled impact players that fill those positions. Dont see a LB rated that high that I would consider an impact or upper level type player. If neither of those players are available we will TRY and trade back and regardless of whether we do or not we will take the highest player on our board which I believe will be between these players.

Cushing or Mathews or Darius Butler or James Laurinaitis or Donald Brown or Alponso Smith.

Every move we make depends on what happens in front of us. Every move is considered. That is a game plan. Its just more complicated than what people want it to be.
There you go again (he said teasingly) saying LB and secondary and RB are our main goal. I do not accept that. Most agree that a RB can be selected day two to fill a need position. 2ndary and lb are not our goal imo.
Old 04-02-2009   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
There you go again (he said teasingly) saying LB and secondary and RB are our main goal. I do not accept that. Most agree that a RB can be selected day two to fill a need position. 2ndary and lb are not our goal imo.
What do you think our main goal is?

Everything I have read and seen tells me this is the direction we will be going in. I really dont care who we draft so long as we get the best value out of every pick we can. No one here is a bigger proponent of BPA but I actually think this isnt a bad strategy for this draft. This draft is unique in that I think its ok to predeterman certain positions you want filled in the top 3 rounds because the talent level is so even from the middle of the first round through our pick in the 3rd round.
Old 04-03-2009   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

They have said over and over and over again...they like their DBs. they like them. All of them. If there were one worthy and they believed beyond doubt he could unseat a starter.....they will take the guy.....but from my tree that guy is not on the board who is going to come in and unseat a starter out of camp..not one. The difference in prospects from the first round guy to the forth round guy is negligible. Do you understand now ?
Old 04-03-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Here's how I see our 1st round going.

Who frickin knows
Old 04-03-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's how I see our 1st round going.

Who frickin knows
At least we will be keeping the other 31 on their toes.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #19
Polo

Wells or Moreno
Old 04-03-2009   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

what's mussup? some deep thinking on your part worthy of rep

your using what little info is out there & running with it. as fans thats what we do, as draft geeks it makes our jobs harder. the Texans are being very quiet, trying to focus on needs via free agency in the weeks leading up to the draft so they can take bpa, whoever falls to them & beleive me despite all the negative comments like "this draft lacks 1st rd. talent @ the back-end" or "all impact players will be gone by the 15th pick" NOBODY IS GOING TO KNOW FOR SURE UNTIL TWO OR THREE YEARS LATTER.

to me its knowing who fits your system & best suited to impact either the offense or defensive side of the ball. that with each pick you can addrress needs while upgrading overall talent of team. one HUGE factor we do not have the inside scoop on is Texans on current roster with future contracts on hold so from that angle its all speculation on our part.

for me, evaluting talent & what the Texans do is finding the best football player possible who can impact this team & provide stablity at a position of need. you increase value by trading back & still getting your guy in the first round, thats proven & we know Rick Smith is capable. Teams with real firepower to make DRAFT DAY MOVES are Denver (12/18) Philly (21/28) & Detroit (1/20). It would not surprise me with those teams picks (18,20,21) they could be competeing for the same player @ #15 which gives Texans leverage to pull a sweet deal.

Lets just take Philly, they've got to be feeling some pressure to make something happen come draft day. A desired player @ psoition of need like RB (Wells) or OT (Oher) could drive them to trade-up. 21 down to 15 is worth 350 points on the draft pick value chart. their 2nd rd. pick is worth 410 points which means the Texans would have to throw back one of their 4th rounders but I would do it.

with the 21st pick in the 2009 draft the Houston Texans (via Eagles) select CB/S Sean Smith, Utah.

Texans address the back-end in first & now have two 2nd rd picks plus at least one pick in every round thereafter
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read