Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-06-2009   #41
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Site Donation FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
There might be a way to do that through Paypal I will check. Thank you scourge and everyone else that has been supporting us financially!

The auto goal meter is set up at a $150 per month goal. It takes a little more than $300 a month to run this place and I was splitting the goal between us and the Titans site. Three months ago we exceeded our $150 goal to the point where our goals were met in advance each month until now. Hence no goal meter the last couple of months until this month (hence the goal meter kicking in for July).

We are still not making the $300 per mainly because of the Titans. It's no knock on them (despite them being Titans fans ), it's just that they don't have the same membership numbers we have and are still getting that thing off the ground.

I might need to adjust the goals since we can pull more weight than them. If I do this I want all to know in advance why and that it isn't because our expenses have gone up.
What!?! My donations are carrying the Titans?!?!
hmmm.... I don't think I like that.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-07-2009 at 08:05 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
We are on a dedicated server. We've tried cheaper hosting solutions (lower end servers) in the past and have had problems because a busy board is a bandwidth hog. Some of the old timers here will remember some of those issues. I haven't found a shared server solution that would take us either because they don't want boards due to the the above issues I mentioned.

I have talked to several other NFL fan site hosts (some with less traffic than us) and they have had similar issues and had to upgrade as well because of their boards. The NFL has even had problems with their boards especially during the season (crawling, crashing, etc). Some teams have gotten rid of them altogether because they are a headache.

The dedicated server we are on now should never give us issues and hasn't since we moved in here. It is lightning fast. Maybe it is a little overkill but as long as people contribute and I can keep affording to make up the difference it's worth it to be here. However as I have mentioned before if someone has any cheaper hosting solution ideas I am open to hear about them as long as we don't compromise the quality of the experience here.
What we now have seems to be working fine and you should not have to make up the difference or even pay anything imo. Just you hosting is enough. 60 posters regardless of what team they follow can give $5. This site should be cruising in the black with enough cash left over for you to consider other things for board. Texans fans on this board are good people and we can do this. Titans contributions should be gravy.

Come on folks. Spring for $5!
Old 08-07-2009   #43
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Just sent you guys $20. That could have bought a lot of beer, so I hope you appreciate it. Just kidding. LOL

The donation tab is easy to use, and much better than writing out a check and mailing it. Glad to help out this board, I like it here.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #44
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

had a change of heart and sent $10.

adding Tapatalk to the server swayed me.
Old 08-10-2009   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like we might have to do a TBN or Jerry Lewis style telethon. I think I can get Shakira to perform. SHe owes me. See, I caught her hips telling a lie.
Old 09-01-2009   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

I realize it is the first day of the month, but just a reminder we need to keep this message board cruising on premium gasoline. Some of the new posters may not have read this thread about how we get to keep having fun and exchanging ideas and complaints about Texans and other things. So, everybody get your donation in. Don't want to see no begging and pleading from Hook'em. This dude has graciously given his time and money to start and keep this board running. Let's take a load off him and DONATE! Steve
Old 09-21-2009   #47
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Just FYI as well, honestly we should look at different servers if it's really $300 a month, that's a very high rate for what this site generates IMHO. I could be wrong here cause I haven't seen the site bandwidth/stats requirements. I have built several ISP's in my career, so I'm very familiar with it.

$300 just seems like a lot a month to keep up. Also we should have a site donation check so we know how far behind, and how much we need so we can remember when we need to donate.

FYI: I'm not throwing stones cause running a site is a thankless jobs but I do think we should look at alternative hosting options.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2009   #48
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry to take so long, but I will try to be a monthly contributor if possible.....

economy sucks!
Old 11-03-2009   #49
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Can you setup a subscription for $5/$10 every 3 months through paypal? Easier for those of us to donate instead of trying to remember each month.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #50
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Should be done for this month, once processed. So, y'all can take down the auto goal meter, now. (at least for November).

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 11-04-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #51
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we donate toward an NFL starter-caliber center? I'd pitch in about $300 bucks toward that and call my X-Mas shopping "Done."
Old 11-15-2009   #52
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

you're welcome
Old 12-30-2009   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

December donation is in.
Old 12-30-2009   #54
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the reminder. Mine just got sent in.
Old 12-30-2009   #55
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Thanks for the reminder. Mine just got sent in.
ditto
Old 01-16-2010   #56
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Your welcome.

Jan. sent in
Old 04-08-2010   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Badboy for the reminder. I only donate a few times a year... Then again, I typically donate more than $10.00, $20.00 or even $30.00 at a time.
Old 04-12-2010   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Thanks Badboy for the reminder. I only donate a few times a year... Then again, I typically donate more than $10.00, $20.00 or even $30.00 at a time.
We all appreciate you TB but of course we like you money better! It is easy to forget about the doantion to keep this MB cruising, so I will post a reminder occasionally, usually right after I remember to send mine.
Old 04-13-2010   #59
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
To the TT board or to the gals at the Gold Cup?
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #60
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
To the TT board or to the gals at the Gold Cup?
Both my brother!!!

But on a serious note, I wanted to bump this considering ALL the new members that joined for the Draft. Keep in mind the purveyor of this site, Kevin aka Hookem, maintains the server out of his own house. He owns, and with the administration and moderating of a bunch of great folks, you nOObs will realize this is the best Texans board - evah!!!

DONATE!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read