Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-29-2009   #1
CharloTex
Veteran

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 15991 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Humor me, what's your response?

Fast forward, it's 2:15 pm on Saturday, April 25th, you're glued to the TV and it is anounced that the Houston Texans, with the 15th pick select _______. After you utter "wtf!" or start singing 'things that make you go hmm', what is your immediate knee-jerk, over-reacted, ill-prepared response that you'll soon be defending to your fellow message boarders (for the rest of the year)? Conversly, if you're a connoisseur of silver linings, what is your half-baked, I-do'-know-maybe, rose-colored-glass-half-full justification? Then, who do we target in round 2.

1) Malcom Jenkins
2) Peria Jerry
3) Rey Maualuga

My reactions ...
1) Jenkins: I'm surprised he fell to us but he'll fill one or the other of two needs and we instantly have excellent depth in the backfield. We need the OLB in the 2nd.
2) Jerry: There's gonna be some mean competition in the trenches - it's gonna be one heck of a fresh rotation. We need the OLB or FS in the second.
3) I guess they're moving Ryans to the outside - I hope he's on board with it. If so, That's one hell of a LB corps. Let's get a DB or RB in the 2nd.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #2
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Humor me, what's your response?

Just to let you know, you posted this question twice...

If Malcolm Jenkins falls to us then I'd say Okay, guess it sucks for Moulden because he will probably never start.

If its Jerry then I'd throw my remote at my TV and call the Texans FO and demand to speak with Kubes and the gang and ask them why the hell we need another small size DT.

If its Rey Mauluga then I'd want him to play OLB or DE but not MLB because thats Ryans spot as long as he stays a Texan.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #3
CharloTex
Veteran

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 15991 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Texan4Ever;1150437]Just to let you know, you posted this question twice...

Thanks for responding.

Just to let you know, you have mustard on your face.

Mods, please fix.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #4
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

I would grab Jenkins, not only does he have the best value but he is versatile and can play S. He could even be moved to Safety which would give us a good coverage duo in the Safety positions, and Wilson and Jenkins are both strong in Run Support.

In the second you could probably grab Paul Kruger, third Andre Brown, fourth Daniel Ellerbe, Chase Coffman, fifth Ryan Palmer, sixth Graham Cano, seventh Lance Louis
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
I would grab Jenkins, not only does he have the best value but he is versatile and can play S. He could even be moved to Safety which would give us a good coverage duo in the Safety positions, and Wilson and Jenkins are both strong in Run Support.

In the second you could probably grab Paul Kruger, third Andre Brown, fourth Daniel Ellerbe, Chase Coffman, fifth Ryan Palmer, sixth Graham Cano, seventh Lance Louis
Good stuff but I don't see Coffman making it out of the third. He would be a major steal in the fourth.

Palmer probably shouldn't be drafted. We could get a better CB at that spot.

Why Gano? Brown looks to have plenty left in the tank.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take Rey but it would be close between him and Jenkins. I think we have enough talented CB's to take one in a later round and be fine. But our LB core needs a shot in the arm. I dont care what they do with Rey or DeMeco, I just want to get them talented players.

OG/OC Max Unger in the 2nd.
RB Shonn Greene in the 3rd.
SS Chip Vaughn in the 4th.
WLB Dannell Ellerbe in the 4th.
DE Henry Melton in the 5th.
CB Ellis Lankser in the 6th.
FB Tony Fiammetta in the 7th.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #7
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If this team takes any of the three guys you listed then Smith should be fired before the next draft.

Jenkins is a cover 2 prototype CB, that is not what the Texans are expected to be running. Oh he plays safety, so what, there is not one safety in this draft worth #15.

Jerry is undersized, and he can not hold anymore weight. In fact he might be a better fit at DE with a loss of weight. Do we really need another undertackle?

Rey Rey, showed at the senior bowl he has to attach from the middle, and unless you are moving Ryans we have a MIKE. Plus he is best suited for the 3-4.

Like I said if this GM does not have a clue then he should be let go.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2009   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
If this team takes any of the three guys you listed then Smith should be fired before the next draft.

Jenkins is a cover 2 prototype CB, that is not what the Texans are expected to be running. Oh he plays safety, so what, there is not one safety in this draft worth #15.

Jerry is undersized, and he can not hold anymore weight. In fact he might be a better fit at DE with a loss of weight. Do we really need another undertackle?

Rey Rey, showed at the senior bowl he has to attach from the middle, and unless you are moving Ryans we have a MIKE. Plus he is best suited for the 3-4.

Like I said if this GM does not have a clue then he should be let go.
Maybe you should re-read the original post. Judging from your response you obviously did not understand the question.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

My reponse? "Boy Texanstalk.com and houstontexans.com message boards are blowing up right now!"
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If Malcolm Jenkins falls to us and we don't run up to the podium and push away anyone in the isle....I'd be shocked.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If Malcolm Jenkins falls to us and we don't run up to the podium and push away anyone in the isle....I'd be shocked.
Like Malcom Jenkins much?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharloTex View Post
Fast forward, it's 2:15 pm on Saturday, April 25th, you're glued to the TV and it is anounced that the Houston Texans, with the 15th pick select _______. After you utter "wtf!" or start singing 'things that make you go hmm', what is your immediate knee-jerk, over-reacted, ill-prepared response that you'll soon be defending to your fellow message boarders (for the rest of the year)? Conversly, if you're a connoisseur of silver linings, what is your half-baked, I-do'-know-maybe, rose-colored-glass-half-full justification? Then, who do we target in round 2.

1) Malcom Jenkins
2) Peria Jerry
3) Rey Maualuga
1) delighted.. automatically we have a top cb duo and depth & competition is nice. take rashad johnson in the 2nd/ 3rd depending on where they grade him and we have a nice secondary
2) id be ok. he seems like a good DT but you'd hope we have enough their without him..amobi, deljuan, travis, cody & bulman even should be enough.
3) ugh.. wouldnt be too happy but id see what roles hed be playing before judging
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny is correct on this player. Jenkins was considered best CB coming out of college last 2 years. I remember all the groaning when he decided to stay in school another year.
He should be one of two players to be ready to go imo, the other being Raji. Personally, I'd play him at FS and keep our CBs intact.
Old 03-30-2009   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharloTex View Post

1) Malcom Jenkins
2) Peria Jerry
3) Rey Maualuga

1-Okay with it. Not sold on the player but appreciate the selection of position.
2-Fail. Amobi or TJ or both have failed. This is another in line to fail. Fail.
3-Something went wrong but I like the player.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I agree. Too talented to pass up at 15.
Old 03-30-2009   #16
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Good stuff but I don't see Coffman making it out of the third. He would be a major steal in the fourth.

Palmer probably shouldn't be drafted. We could get a better CB at that spot.

Why Gano? Brown looks to have plenty left in the tank.
Yeah, likely won't make it out of the third but this is a solid TE class, I have Nelson, Pettigrew, Casey, Cook, Ingram, and possibly Beckum in front of him. Stranger things have happened.

As far as Gano, go check out the FSU bowl game where he nailed Wisconsin? inside their own three yard line 3 or four times with the coffin corner punt. He's to push Turk but he can also pk so that is some added value.
Old 03-30-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, likely won't make it out of the third but this is a solid TE class, I have Nelson, Pettigrew, Casey, Cook, Ingram, and possibly Beckum in front of him. Stranger things have happened.

As far as Gano, go check out the FSU bowl game where he nailed Wisconsin? inside their own three yard line 3 or four times with the coffin corner punt. He's to push Turk but he can also pk so that is some added value.
It's a strong class but I think Coffman gets overlooked. I have him 4th on my list behind Pettigrew, Cook, and Nelson.

I watched the FSU-Wisconsin game and I was very much impressed with Gano. But I think he will be drafted as a kicker not a punter.
Old 03-30-2009   #18
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
It's a strong class but I think Coffman gets overlooked. I have him 4th on my list behind Pettigrew, Cook, and Nelson.

I watched the FSU-Wisconsin game and I was very much impressed with Gano. But I think he will be drafted as a kicker not a punter.
I think he will be drafted as a punter. ESPN has him as a punter; CBS Sports had him as a K. After that performance I see him as a P.

Not really sure what you are saying about Coffman, (1) its a strong class and you think he will get overlooked becuase of this; or (2) do you think even though its a strong class he won't get overlooked?
Old 03-30-2009   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think he will be drafted as a punter. ESPN has him as a punter; CBS Sports had him as a K. After that performance I see him as a P.

Not really sure what you are saying about Coffman, (1) its a strong class and you think he will get overlooked becuase of this; or (2) do you think even though its a strong class he won't get overlooked?
I think Coffman is being overlooked by the internet gurus because his name hasn't been in the news recently. He is just a solid player who doesn't really stand out, just gets his job done.

He will go earlier than a lot of people expect. As early as the second round I would guess. Probably in the early third though.
Old 03-30-2009   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Maybe you should re-read the original post. Judging from your response you obviously did not understand the question.
Oh I get it, and think if this GM picks any of those guys, then we have a problem. That is my reaction. I do not care who he drafts in round 2 if he blows the 1st round so badly.

Hey Vinny looks like we disagree on the cover 2 CB/Safety guy from OHio ST.

Not the 1st time nor will it be the last we disagree on a player.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read