Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2005   #1
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

Default Rod Gardner a Texan?

What do you guys think about that? I was just on ESPN Insider in rumor central and they saying that the Texans might get him for a solid #2 WR to be opposite AJ.
Old 01-18-2005   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Does the rumor include something about him being a cap casualty? ... because he's still under contract through the end of '05 and not a free agent.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we going to turn into the Rockets and get players from bad teams .Their on bad teams for a reason.
I don't know how long we'll be protected by the expantion label before we're judged by wins and losses.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #4
ginessey
Rookie

I think Rod Garder would go great in Houston and he would be a perfect weapon for Carr. He would be a whole lot better than Corey Bradford who is our number 2 and he only had 27 catches for 399 yards and he played in all the games, that's sad. Rod Gardner has had over 50 catches all but his rookie year when he had 46. If the deal does workout and he doesn't want some god awful amount of money, I think it will perfect.
ginessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Does the rumor include something about him being a cap casualty? ... because he's still under contract through the end of '05 and not a free agent.

No, but I remember reading an article saying the Redskins were looking to trade him for a mid round pick.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #6
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

In my opinion there are just some receivers who are meant to be #2 receivers. I could give you names, but I'm tired. I will say though that Rod Gardener is 1 of them.

I think that is something we are going to have to look at this offseason, is finding a #2 receiver, wether its in the draft, free agency, or maybe its someone already on the team. But not having one I think is hurting this offense more than you think.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Gardener is a pretty good WR, he has decent hands as well as speed. But he does drop some catchable balls.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2005   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Are we going to turn into the Rockets and get players from bad teams .Their on bad teams for a reason.
Funny, and I thought the worst teams in the league got the best players in each draft. Go figure, all those top draft slots hold off for the super bowl teams to take the good ones.

Gardner was a 1st round 15th overall pick. Haven't watched enough Skins football to know the reason, but his yards per catch and yards after catch have gone down every year. That said, he also has caught at least 600 yds each year and had over 1000 his 2nd year. Big red flag (in terms of all the complaining potential) he had 9 dropped passes this year and 8 last year--FYI, AJ, Armstrong, Bradford and Gaffney combined for 8 dropped passes this year. But as AJ has shown that may be something that coaching and hard work can improve.
Old 01-18-2005   #9
SESupergenius

The Patriots must be kicking themselves for getting Corey Dillon from the bad Bengals.
Old 01-19-2005   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

gardner is a solid reciever...keep in mind several of his nine drops this year were due to the old QB throwing to him in double coverage and were hella hard catches to make to begin with...if we can get gardner for 3rd or 4th round pick i wouldn't complain one bit but i would hope that unlike the greg robinson deal we actually keep the guy longer than one season
Old 01-19-2005   #11
sportsrock37
waterboy

Rod Gardner is a very servicable WR. I have a feeling that he will really break out with the Skins this year. It's his contract year and he will want to prove that he's not a bust. The reason for his bad production this year is the Skins pitiful pass offense. The bulk of the passing went to Coles, so it didn't give Gardner enough chances. He would be a good addition for the Texans and I would want a 2nd or 3rd at worst for him.

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/
sportsrock37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how one can look at Gardner's & Gaffney's numbers are see any big difference in Gardner's favor. I can't see a reason why Armstrong can't be as or more effective than Gardner. And comparing a Gardner acquisition to the Pats getting Corey Dillon? Dillon was a 6-time 1000 yard rusher & former Pro Bowler. Gardner's just a guy who was once a 1st round draft pick. Think a younger version of JJ Stokes. Even mid round picks are worth more than that.
Old 01-19-2005   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Gardner isn't worth any more than a 3rd. No way we give up a 2nd for this guy, and I doubt that we pursue him and give up any decent pick. He is not all that fast but he has an NFL body. He is a physical player for a WR.
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #14
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything we need a wide receiver with speed to replace Bradford.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #15
SESupergenius

If the don't sign Bradford and do not sign a FA or draft one then we go into the season with Johnson, Gaffney, and Armstrong. Please take off your rose colored glasses and see that that lineup just won't cut it. I am not sure however that Gardner is any better than Bradford, but from what we've seen so far from Bradford we can't be missing much.
Old 01-19-2005   #16
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

I dont know if this has been brought up yet, but lance was speculating about the texans going after travis taylor as a secondary wr. though he has underachieved in ball control baltimore, a change of scenery could do him good. i think he is a free agent, and would probably come cheaper than gardner as far as money and draft picks.

who would you rather have?

Taylor: 6-1 210lbs
Gardner: 6-2 213lbs
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #17
Gilly
Rookie

Default Gardner or taylor

either would be a major improvement over bradford. We need a solid #2 in order for AJ to take his next step toward greatness. And a FA wr would allow us to beef up the O-line through the draft.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #18
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

The Texans need a good #2 that is a legitimate threat. Consider some of the better offenes in the league. Indy has Wayne and Stokley. St. Louis has Isaac Bruce (I am pretty sure Holt is the #1 now.) Marcus Robinson for the Vikings. I just think it is time to move a young speedster.
Old 01-19-2005   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I think the bottom line is simple. Gaffney and Armstrong are set in the slot. We will likely look to replace Bradford with someone. I would be shocked if it is not a speed guy. In today's NFL you need 3 solid WR's because the 3wr sets are the dominant offensive sets in the league. We have two of the three positions ready to go. We just need to replace Bradfords role in the offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the article from the Tampa paper on Gardner:
http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBRHOEI04E.html

Taylor had injury problems this year - groin and back - that kept him out of 5 games.

Gardner costs more than Taylor and is in his contract year. One year rental at $1.45 mil instead of commiting three or more years to the guy?

Neither guy makes me go wow, but I think both could be servicable #2's. Maybe a change of scenery will help one or both. They are both playing in offenses that are near the bottom of the league.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read