Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-29-2009   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Walter's again

I have a feeling Smithiak are going to take Butler @ 15.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #22
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm just not all that thrilled about Matthews this high - I keep hearing things like he isn't all that fast so can't cover TEs or RBs. Like I said, you guys know this stuff better so if that's wrong....
Isn't fast? Incorrect, there are a lot of things you can say about him but slow isn't one of them. Inexperienced in coverage, definitely. Slow, not at all.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
1st round I'd go with the versatile OL Michael Oher.
2nd round I'd love to go after Wood/Unger but with taking Oher in the 1st I'd take CB Alphonso Smith here.
3rd round beef up the secondary some more and keep S Rashad Johnson.
4th round-a address RB with Andre Brown.
4th round-b address OLB with a guy like Jason Williams or Mortty Ivy (probably too early though)
I wouldn't mind at all for that to come down.

Another scenario is that if all those guys in the D-backend would have been available, I would love to trade down and take care of it once and for all.

47. William Moore
54. D.J. Moore
55. Alphonso Smith
77. Rashad Johnson

With Eugene Wilson's 3-yr contract, we would have an awsome 5-man D-backfield, putting RJ or Moore alternating at nickel back/rover.

Shoot, we still have enough points (based upon the trade value chart) to get another guy like Pat White, Duke Robinson, Paul Kruger, Jonathan Luigs, Lawrence Sidbury, Herman Johnson, Phil Loadholt, Rashad Jennings, Philip Hunt, Shonn Greene...

Wouldn't that be something!?!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #24
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I think taking Clay Matthews is a huge mistake no matter how well he has worked out. This guy didn't even start for the Trojans he came into the games when they would go to there 3-4 package and he was only in to rush the qb. If we decide to take a an OLB it should be Brian Cushing who has been the starter for at least 2 full seasons maybe 3. Lets take a look at both players stats during there career at USC.

Brian Cushing:

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 243 | 40-Time: 4.74
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2005 8 23 0.5 0.0 3 0
2006 13 57 13.5 4.5 1 0
2007 10 25 2.5 1.0 2 0
2008 13 73 10.5 3.0 6 1
Total 44 178 27.0 8.5 12 1

Clay Matthews Jr.
Outside Linebacker | Senior | USC Clay Matthews
Height: 6-3 1/8 | Weight: 240 | 40-Time: 4.67

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2004 RS - - - - -
2005 11 8 0.0 0.0 1 0
2006 13 15 1.5 1.0 0 0
2007 13 17 3.0 0.0 1 0
2008 13 56 9.0 4.5 2 0
Total 50 96 13.5 5.5 4 0
All those stats mean is that some guys develop later than others...

Look, It's easy to see why Smithiak & others are infatuated with Mathews enough to take him higher than everyone thinks he should go. He walked on to USC's campus (after rejecting his only scholarship offer to Wyoming or some place like that) admittedly "not ready" to do anything. But he got better each year by being a special teams Hall of Famer until Carroll couldn't justify keeping him out of the starting lineup any more.

He's versatile, has a chip on his shoulder as he wasn't highly recruited coming out & most of all, he's a worker. Judging by how he looked at the combine, We probably haven't seen how much better he can be either. These type of guys are a coach's dream.

My guess is that teams could be thinking he's Brian Urlacher-light for OLB's........ if he gets his coverage skills together. Did i also mention he's got a great pedigree?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #25
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I think taking Clay Matthews is a huge mistake no matter how well he has worked out. This guy didn't even start for the Trojans he came into the games when they would go to there 3-4 package and he was only in to rush the qb. If we decide to take a an OLB it should be Brian Cushing who has been the starter for at least 2 full seasons maybe 3. Lets take a look at both players stats during there career at USC.
Yup. Experience and production won't ever favor Matthews' college resume over anyones. That's college though. In projecting potential I think Matthews' is in line if not exceeding his peers....well, except Curry.

But if we're passing Matthews for another backer I'm going James Laraunitis AND Maualuga before Cushing.
Old 03-30-2009   #26
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Yup. Experience and production won't ever favor Matthews' college resume over anyones. That's college though. In projecting potential I think Matthews' is in line if not exceeding his peers....well, except Curry.

But if we're passing Matthews for another backer I'm going James Laraunitis AND Maualuga before Cushing.
Career comparison:

James Laurinaitis 375 tkls 24.5 TFL 13 Sacks 9 INTS

vs

Brian Cushing 178 tkls 27.0 TFL 8.5 Sacks 1 INT
Clay Mathews 96 tkls 13.5 TFL 5.5 Sacks 0 INT
total 274 tkls 41.5 TFL 14 Sacks 1 INT

That's right. 101 more tackles, 8 more INTs, and just 1 less sack than Cushing and Mathews combined. He's the only linebacker between Curry and the second day that can actually cover as well.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #27
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's the only linebacker between Curry and the second day that can actually cover as well.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2009   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So are we going to take Laurinaitis to replace Demeco or Adibi? I thought most of us that were looking for an OLB were looking for a SLB. Laurinaitis and Maualuga don't really fit that bill. Matthews is being talked about because, supposedly he is the most likely to fit that role the best.

I wouldn't doubt Laurinaitis could have success in the NFL (definitely found it in college) but I would be very skeptical of him having success at SLB for our team.

I see Laurinaitis going to one of the 3-4 teams but seriously, how many LBs are these teams going to have to pick!!? Maybe he's a MLB/WLB in the 4-3. I'd rather sign Cato June to battle Adibi and not have to worry about this position in the draft. Focus it elsewhere.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #29
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
That's why most folks have him & his 4.80 projected inside ....in both schemes ? Mind boggling.
He ran a sub 4.7 at his pro day on fieldturf, and plays faster than he times. Football speed > track speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
So are we going to take Laurinaitis to replace Demeco or Adibi? I thought most of us that were looking for an OLB were looking for a SLB. Laurinaitis and Maualuga don't really fit that bill. Matthews is being talked about because, supposedly he is the most likely to fit that role the best.

I wouldn't doubt Laurinaitis could have success in the NFL (definitely found it in college) but I would be very skeptical of him having success at SLB for our team.

I see Laurinaitis going to one of the 3-4 teams but seriously, how many LBs are these teams going to have to pick!!? Maybe he's a MLB/WLB in the 4-3. I'd rather sign Cato June to battle Adibi and not have to worry about this position in the draft. Focus it elsewhere.
There's no reason JL can't play any LB spot in the 4-3. He can cover, blitz, and stuff the run. What more can you ask from a guy? I don't think he's physical enough to play inside in a 3-4 with less protection from the DTs. He can take on blockers, but isn't eager to do so. Playing over the A gap he's going to be doing that a lot.

I think we have our starting OLBs. Just pointing out that if we're serious about taking one in the first then I'd rather take the guy who's had a monster career, and the skill set to be a 4-3 linebacker over the 3-4 OLBs from USCs 4-3/3-4 pseudo-hybrid.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #30
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
He ran a sub 4.7 at his pro day on fieldturf, and plays faster than he times. Football speed > track speed.

There's no reason JL can't play any LB spot in the 4-3. He can cover, blitz, and stuff the run. What more can you ask from a guy? I don't think he's physical enough to play inside in a 3-4 with less protection from the DTs. He can take on blockers, but isn't eager to do so. Playing over the A gap he's going to be doing that a lot.

I think we have our starting OLBs. Just pointing out that if we're serious about taking one in the first then I'd rather take the guy who's had a monster career, and the skill set to be a 4-3 linebacker over the 3-4 OLBs from USCs 4-3/3-4 pseudo-hybrid.
I agree that Laurenitis could play OLB. He has to be in consideration. I have been saying this for weeks.
Old 04-08-2009   #31
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Walter updated to round 5.

1. Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
2. Max Unger, C/G, Oregon
3. Rashad Johnson, FS, Alabama
4. Andre Brown, RB, N.C. State
4. Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan
5. Henry Melton, DE, Texas

Here is who I might have taken:
2. Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan
3. Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
4. Zack Follett, OLB, California
4. Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech
5. A.Q. Shipley, C, Penn State

Ok, your thoughts?
Who would YOU take in these spots?
Remember, no trading down. You need to take a player that would be there according to Walters!
Have fun with it!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #32
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83034 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post

Ok, your thoughts?
Remember, no trading down. You need to take a player that would be there according to Walters!
Have fun with it!
I actually like the mock picks better. I love the Max Unger pick and would be excited as hell if we got him. You can make a case that Center is this team's biggest need. Our center is very poor.

I also like the Rashad Johnson pick.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #33
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ok, your thoughts?
Have fun with it!
I love that mock, especially Melton.

He will be a solid player in the pros and his upside is potentially huge. Elite athlete.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #34
TimeKiller

Quote:

I'd be fine with either of these outcomes.

At http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...nry-Melton.php it says his uncle, Ray Crockett, was a captain for the back-to-back champion Broncos teams. Possible Denver connection but it also mentions he had a run-in with the law (DWI) a year or two ago. Played as a RB at first so athleticism is probably pretty good. Weird switch from RB to DE, he must've bulked up a bit to get to 6'3'' 270

Last edited by TimeKiller; 04-09-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2009   #35
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually like Walter's pick and would be good with it. Would love to see an upgrade at GR or C, whichever Ugner would win.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #36
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...nry-Melton.php it says his uncle, Ray Crockett, was a captain for the back-to-back champion Broncos teams. Possible Denver connection but it also mentions he had a run-in with the law (DWI) a year or two ago. Played as a RB at first so athleticism is probably pretty good. Weird switch from RB to DE, he must've bulked up a bit to get to 6'3'' 270
That's the best part.

He was a 275 lb running back coming out of high school. Problem is, he thought he was Jamaal Charles when he should have been trying to run like Jorvorskie Lane.

There's really no excuse for a 275 lb RB to be bouncing plays outside on the goal line if there is a hole in the middle.

So he lost his job and got moved to DE. He only has two years of experience there but had 4 sacks and 10.5 TFL in his only year as a starter.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #37
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, but what UT player hasn't had trouble with the law?
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #38
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I actually like the mock picks better. I love the Max Unger pick and would be excited as hell if we got him. You can make a case that Center is this team's biggest need. Our center is very poor inside the twenty and on short yardage.

I also like the Rashad Johnson pick.
Fixed it for you.

Quote:
there's no reason JL can't play any LB spot in the 4-3.
4.8 forty and stiff hips say he'll never make the jump to SAM or Will. Unless Jesus miracles the guy and fixes those hips for him by September....he's destined to make his living on the inside on the next level...

Do you watch these guys work out at all Mussop & cheese ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read