Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92829 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans' offseason report:

For the second consecutive season, the Houston Texans made a late-season run to finish 8-8 and just outside of the playoff mix. But instead of frustration, the excitement seems to grow with each passing season.

This team has a lot of young, talented players on the roster, on both sides of the ball. And while Houston seems fairly set at the starting positions, the team needs to improve its depth across the board. If they can stay healthy, this could finally be the year the Texans break into the playoff picture.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=531360
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' offseason report:

that was probably one of the more balanced reviews I've seen, and more or less in line with my thoughts right now. Well, except for one thing, I think another RB is more important than a matching reciever to deflect the coverage off AJ.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #3
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
that was probably one of the more balanced reviews I've seen, and more or less in line with my thoughts right now. Well, except for one thing, I think another RB is more important than a matching reciever to deflect the coverage off AJ.
Even WITH all the coverage he still rips em for 100yds a game. Amazing.
Old 03-26-2009   #4
Ckw

This is just really starting to irritate me. I truly do believe the only reason Kevin Walter doesn't get more respect is because he is a white guy playing a position dominated by black guys. So because he is white, he automatically is only good as a slot receiver? It just blows me away how many people obviously have not watched the games or even looked at the stats; Kevin Walter has been one of the better #2 WRs over the last two years. The film shows it; the stats show it.
Old 03-27-2009   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
This is just really starting to irritate me. I truly do believe the only reason Kevin Walter doesn't get more respect is because he is a white guy playing a position dominated by black guys. So because he is white, he automatically is only good as a slot receiver? It just blows me away how many people obviously have not watched the games or even looked at the stats; Kevin Walter has been one of the better #2 WRs over the last two years. The film shows it; the stats show it.
so explain the respect Wes Welker gets
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #6
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
He only said that there is a belief nowadays that white recievers can only play slot, due to the sucess of Wes Welker, Stokely, Curtis etc and not be a true wideout.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I don't get it. Welker and Walter are #2s. They're critical "move-the-chains" guys. The big name guys don't get the opportunities to make highlight reel plays if the #2 guys don't keep the chains moving. That's as critical to offensive success as having a big back to convert those 3 & 1s IMHO. If the press or the "great unwashed" fandom out there doesn't get that, then they don't know the game.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2009   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Since this is an off-season report thread, I thought I'd post this link on the Texans from CBS Sports here

Quote:

Will the Houston Texans be the 2009 version of the Arizona Cardinals? It will be tough in the ultra-competitive AFC, but the Texans certainly bear watching next season.

One of Houston's biggest needs? Keeping Matt Schaub healthy. (Getty Images)
This is a team on the rise. <--- Kiss of death??

Playing in one of the NFL's toughest divisions, the Texans have finished 8-8 the past two seasons. Now it's time to do better, which would mean the first playoff berth in franchise history.

"We were an 8-8 football team for the last two years, but I think we were a different 8-8 football team this year than last year," Texans general manager Rick Smith said. "And what I mean by that is I think I watched our team mature."

The Texans are one or two small pieces away from having one of the best young offenses in the league. With quarterback Matt Schaub, receiver Andre Johnson and running back Steve Slaton, they have three key skill players. Add in tight end Owen Daniels and a good offensive line, and this is an offense that should be expected to score a lot next season.

That's why the defense is the key to this draft. They added end Antonio Smith in free agency to go with Mario Williams, so the makings of a good pass rush are there. But they need help at outside linebacker, defensive tackle and in the secondary, both at corner and safety.
Mods pls relocate this post if this link has already been posted. Thx.
Old 03-27-2009   #9
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're just looking at what he wrote differently. I see it as him saying that Walter isn't as respected as say Welker because he isn't a slot reciever, going over the middle every play, but an actual wideout where there just isn't many white guys playing that position anymore and it's harder for him to gain respect because of that. I love watching Welker or Kevin Curtis from Philly play; they are crucial to their teams, but that isn't what he's talking about. They might be the #2 option on their respective teams, but they aren't a true #2 wideout, and that is what he was trying to say. At least that's what I inferred.
Old 03-27-2009   #10
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

what really impressed me was Mike Golic on NFL Live was asked whats the "cinderella team" for next year and he quickly said....HOUSTON TEXANS, ya know he's the shit and for him to give us props man it made me feel all funny inside lol.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he isn't a very good fit for the 3-4 hybrid the Cardinals have been playing. He's not big enough to play end in an odd front, and the alignments don't take advantage of his strength, which is his speed rush off the edge.
Said of A-Smith. I think having him and Bulman platooning off the edge with Amobi and TJ trying to speed past guys instead of holding blocks just might give opponents fits when trying to account for the freight train coming every play.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #12
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
He only said that there is a belief nowadays that white recievers can only play slot, due to the sucess of Wes Welker, Stokely, Curtis etc and not be a true wideout.
Exactly. There simply haven't been many white players that have succeeded at the #2 WR position thus a good player like Kevin Walter gets overlooked and always is seen as a backup or slot receiver.

Quote:
I guess I don't get it. Welker and Walter are #2s. They're critical "move-the-chains" guys. The big name guys don't get the opportunities to make highlight reel plays if the #2 guys don't keep the chains moving. That's as critical to offensive success as having a big back to convert those 3 & 1s IMHO. If the press or the "great unwashed" fandom out there doesn't get that, then they don't know the game.
But you have to ask, why don't the press get it? Obviously, something is clouding their judgment. As I stated before, the stats and the game tape show that Kevin Walter is a damn good WR and worthy of being a #2 WR. For some reason, most outsiders just don't realize it. Why is that? I honestly believe it is because he does not look like your typical starting WR.

Quote:
I think we're just looking at what he wrote differently. I see it as him saying that Walter isn't as respected as say Welker because he isn't a slot reciever, going over the middle every play, but an actual wideout where there just isn't many white guys playing that position anymore and it's harder for him to gain respect because of that. I love watching Welker or Kevin Curtis from Philly play; they are crucial to their teams, but that isn't what he's talking about. They might be the #2 option on their respective teams, but they aren't a true #2 wideout, and that is what he was trying to say. At least that's what I inferred.
You nailed it. He simply doesn't get the respect and as I stated above, certainly there is a reason for that. If you watch the games, you will notice just how many crucial plays Kevin Walter makes on a team with two Pro Bowl pass catchers in AJ and OD. But for some reason, the media as well as outside fans don't realize it.
Old 03-27-2009   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
what really impressed me was Mike Golic on NFL Live was asked whats the "cinderella team" for next year and he quickly said....HOUSTON TEXANS, ya know he's the shit and for him to give us props man it made me feel all funny inside lol.
I like Golic, but I hate the overuse of the term "Cinderalla" in sports.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #14
pbat488
gig 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I like Golic, but I hate the overuse of the term "Cinderalla" in sports.
If it comes true then I won't mind it so much
Old 03-27-2009   #15
Ckw

Quote:
If it comes true then I won't mind it so much
No joke about that. That would be awesome if we dominate this season. I truly expect a big step by Amobi, more greatness from Mario, typical Demeco and Dunta, and a dominant/elite offense. If I'm right about those things, this will be a fun season.
Old 03-27-2009   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I guess I see where you're coming from but I just don't understand how the press and fans can see that these guys are the reliable #2 option for their teams but not consider them to be the #2 receiver.

And when I think of classic #2 WRs, I think Steve Largent, Raymond Berry, Welker, Walter, Houshmandzadeh (sp?)

now I know some teams have their TE as the #2 option - the Colts, Chargers, and Cowboys come to mind right away. Heck, when HWWNBN was here our #2 option was the RB

But I say again, if the press and fans don't get that Walter is a solid #2, then they don't know the game.
Old 03-27-2009   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is just really starting to irritate me. I truly do believe the only reason Kevin Walter doesn't get more respect is because he is a white guy playing a position dominated by black guys.
This is really starting to irritate me. The only reason Kevin Walter doesn't get more respect is because he plays for the Houston Texans. If Kevin Walter played for New England, New York (either version), or Dallas...he would get plenty of respect. Whatever that really means to you. Race has zero, zip, zilch to do with it. That's as absurd a statement as Limbaugh's McNabb comment.

A) Kevin Walter is a white WR.
B) Kevin Walter is not respected.
C) All white WRs are not respected.

This is actually an example of a Wonderlic question. If A & B are assumed true, is C:

1) True
2) False
3) Not Certain

What's the correct answer?
Old 03-27-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
New England.
Old 03-27-2009   #19
Ckw

Quote:
I guess I see where you're coming from but I just don't understand how the press and fans can see that these guys are the reliable #2 option for their teams but not consider them to be the #2 receiver.

And when I think of classic #2 WRs, I think Steve Largent, Raymond Berry, Welker, Walter, Houshmandzadeh (sp?)

now I know some teams have their TE as the #2 option - the Colts, Chargers, and Cowboys come to mind right away. Heck, when HWWNBN was here our #2 option was the RB

But I say again, if the press and fans don't get that Walter is a solid #2, then they don't know the game.
I'm just curious then why you think Walter gets so little respect. Sincere question, and I am certainly open to other opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This is really starting to irritate me. The only reason Kevin Walter doesn't get more respect is because he plays for the Houston Texans. If Kevin Walter played for New England, New York (either version), or Dallas...he would get plenty of respect. Whatever that really means to you. Race has zero, zip, zilch to do with it. That's as absurd a statement as Limbaugh's McNabb comment.

A) Kevin Walter is a white WR.
B) Kevin Walter is not respected.
C) All white WRs are not respected.

This is actually an example of a Wonderlic question. If A & B are assumed true, is C:

1) True
2) False
3) Not Certain

What's the correct answer?
Kevin Walter doesn't play for the media darling New England Patriots. Also if you are correct that the only reason Walter doesn't get respect is because he is a Houston Texan, then how do you explain Andre and OD? AJ is being noted as the best WR in the NFL by more than a couple of analysts, and he is a Texan. Owen Daniels is a Texan and was a Pro Bowler. So there has to be some other reason.

Is it just because Walter isn't super athletic? Or can the media simply not wrap their minds around a white guy being a starting WR and not a slot receiver or a TE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
New England.
Exactly. And let's not forget, Tom Brady made Jabar Gaffney look like a good receiver.
Old 03-27-2009   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also if you are correct that the only reason Walter doesn't get respect is because he is a Houston Texan, then how do you explain Andre and OD? AJ is being noted as the best WR in the NFL by more than a couple of analysts, and he is a Texan. Owen Daniels is a Texan and was a Pro Bowler. So there has to be some other reason.
And that reason has to be because Walter is white? Do you jump rope? Jump bail? Or only jump to conclusions? There's no logic behind your assertion that the media doesn't love white WRs. None.

BTW, Andre is the least hyped superstar in this league. And has been for years. Daniels wasn't voted into the Pro Bowl, he was added due to an injury to Antonio Gates. Maybe the reason he wasn't voted in is because he's a white TE? Maybe the reason Steve Slaton wasn't voted in is due to being a black RB? Or maybe, just maybe it's all because the Texans haven't had a winning season in their existence, and they play here in Houston in relative obscurity? Maybe.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read