Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2009   #1
will742
Nukkkk

Rep Power: 102 will742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to will742
Default Sad Ryan Moats Incident with Cop

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...p.3e9c080.html

There's a video of the incident as well.

Quote:
As he rushed his family to the hospital, 26-year-old NFL running back Ryan Moats rolled through a red light. A Dallas police officer pulled their SUV over outside the emergency room.

Moats and his wife explained that her mother was dying inside the hospital.

"You really want to go through this right now?" Moats pleaded. "My mother-in-law is dying. Right now!"

The officer, 25-year-old Robert Powell, was unmoved. He spent long minutes writing Moats a ticket and threatened him with arrest.

"I can screw you over," the officer told Moats. "I'd rather not do that."

The scene last week, captured by a dashboard video camera, prompted apologies and the promise of an investigation from Dallas police officials Wednesday.

"There were some things that were said that were disturbing, to say the least," said Lt. Andy Harvey, a police spokesman.

Moats' mother-in-law, Jonetta Collinsworth, was struggling at 45 with breast cancer that had spread throughout her body. Family members rushed to her bedside from as far away as California.

The whole situation itself is very sad.

Last edited by will742; 03-26-2009 at 04:32 AM.
will742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sad Ryan Moats Incident with Cop

Unfortunate situation for everyone. Sad.
Old 03-26-2009   #3
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Just another prick hiding behind his badge. What an a$$.
Old 03-26-2009   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by will742 View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...p.3e9c080.html

There's a video of the incident as well.

The whole situation itself is very sad.
"I can screw you over". SAD!!!!! This is the kind of thing that gives the hard working good cops a bad name. Smug arrogant punk needs his badge taken way. He shouldnt even be allowed to be a security guard from this point forward.
Old 03-26-2009   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I think he should lose his job," said Ryan Moats, a Dallas native who attended Bishop Lynch High School and now plays for the Houston Texans.

Powell, hired in January 2006, did not return a call for comment. Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson said Powell told police officials that he believed that he was doing his job. He has been re-assigned to dispatch pending an investigation.

"When people are in distress, we should come to the rescue," said Simpson. "We shouldn't further their distress."
Three words come to mind here: Protect and SERVE. Looks like Farva here could use a little more than Farva treatment. Maybe like, at least having to re-up on his training courses. This is dispicable. I applaud Moats for having a cool head in such a situation, can't say I would've done the same.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #6
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I could almost where the cop could think Moats was lying to him. they probably get stories like that all the time. They can't let everyone go who says they have an emergency.

But this guy pulled Moats over right outside of the E.R. What an ignorant guy to be given the right to uphold the law.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Three words come to mind here: Protect and SERVE. Looks like Farva here could use a little more than Farva treatment. Maybe like, at least having to re-up on his training courses. This is dispicable. I applaud Moats for having a cool head in such a situation, can't say I would've done the same.
bolded part - ain't that the truth!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2009   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I got a ticket about 6 months ago for rolling through a stop sign one block away from my home. There was a SUV that was putting fliers in peoples mailboxes that was stopped short of the sign and I went around him. When I tried explaining my side of the story, this coksucker threatened to arrest me and bring me to jail.

95% of the time, I side with police in any debates involving their job performance, but there are real idiots out there who wear a badge, and unfortunately they get the headlines.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #9
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I saw this last night on KHOU. Sad, just plain sad. Even the nurse runs out there and says "she's dying right now". It wasn't before another police officer (plano pd) that came over and said to the other cop "you really should let him go, the nurse said she's dying as we speak".
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
Just another prick hiding behind his badge. What an a$$.
To me it is most of them.
Old 03-26-2009   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, I would have lost it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Further proof that Dallas sucks.
Old 03-26-2009   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Cop says "Let me see your driver's license."

Moats says "You really want to go through this right now?"

Then the cop says "You ran a red light."

Moats says "My mother is dying right now!"

The cop replies "That doesn't constitute running a red light."

AMAZING!!
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds as if he knew the guy played in the NFL and felt like he could harass the dude or threaten him in any case.

Either way, it's cases like these that tell me these guys have a quota to meet even though authorities say other wise.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw that last night on 13.
Very sorry-azz performance by the cop in N.Texas.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
To me it is most of them.
Yes but you have no idea what you're talking about so I don't put much stock in what you say on this subject (sorry, we just disagree bigtime on cops and what they're about). It is certainly not "most of them" and if this has been your experience I'd reflect on what you're doing that's attracting police officers who consistently treat you this way. One is entirely possible. More than one could happen I admit. "most of them" is a trend and I know too many officers to agree that most of them are like this.

Eddie Van Halen says David Lee Roth is an ass and is out of the band.
Eddie Van Halen says Sammy Hagar is an ass and is out of the band.
Eddie Van Halen says Gary Cherone isn't working out and is out the band.

Maybe the problem is Eddie Van Halen?

Sorry, I digress.

This officer was wrong. He had a problem with understanding his job description. He kept referring to Moats "attitude" and that kind of approach to law enforcement drives me up the wall. Police aren't in the "attitude adjustment business" and they need to understand that. I don't have to have a good attitude. I just have to comply which Moats appeared to be doing. There's no room in law enforcement as it is practiced in this country for a black and white approach to every situation. Every incident is different and lazy officers who forget this have lost sight of what they're supposed to be doing and why they're doing it. It's the same mindless laziness that you see in three strikes rules and zero tolerance policies. Make a rule (whether it is effective and makes sense or not) and then just follow it without taking anything else into account because it's easier than thinking through a situation and determining what you should do. Instead set things up where you are compelled to do "x" and then pretend it's out of your hands.

I'd talk to a lawyer if I were in his shoes.
Old 03-26-2009   #17
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

This reminds me of a highly publicized incident here in Austin last year where a Hays County police officer stopped a car on I-35 and detained the driver for fifteen or twenty minutes. The driver was stopped because he was driving at a very high speed and kinda swerving, but the reason was his puppy was dying in the car and he was trying to get him to an emergency vet. The cop was obviously justified in pulling him over and giving him a ticket, but the dash video showed that he handled the situation heartlessly and practically mocked the driver, who was absolutely freaking out on the side of the road. The driver was in the wrong and put the public at risk, but the police officers should've handled the situation with greater care. Their behavior was sickening. At one point the cop tells him, "hey you can just get another dog."

Yes, the dog died.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
This is how I feel

The federal government isn't giving the state the money that it used to and the state & city officials have decided to make up the revenue by writing more tickets. Everybody gets a ticket if they get stopped now seems to be the theme.

This leads to poor judgement by some of the cops that suffer from the Napolean complex.

Bottom line is that cops that use poor judgement like this one should be fired but he probably wont be fired.

I applaud Moats because I probably would have been taken to jail if i was in his shoes.

The cops have forgotten about their duty is to PROTECT & SERVE and now it appears that all they are are revenue collectors for th city/ state.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 03-26-2009 at 09:10 AM.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #19
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yes but you have no idea what you're talking about so I don't put much stock in what you say on this subject (sorry, we just disagree bigtime on cops and what they're about). It is certainly not "most of them" and if this has been your experience I'd reflect on what you're doing that's attracting police officers who consistently treat you this way. One is entirely possible. More than one could happen I admit. "most of them" is a trend and I know too many officers to agree that most of them are like this.
I have to agree with Herv on this one.

As much as I dislike the sight of Police Officers, I know that a lot of them just want to go to work and do their job, and go home.

My dad is a police officer and he's pretty much been one since a little before I was born. I've met a ton of officers that were friends of his, and they all seem to be regular people. I've been pulled over by officers that I thought were a tad racist...I've been pulled over by officers that I felt were just using their badge as a show of power...

With all that said, I've also come across several officers that weren't bad at all to deal with. At the end of the day they are humans too, and something that I learned from my dad is that one of the officers primary thoughts is safety for themselves. I've learned that if you show an officer you pose no threat and comply with what they are asking then you most times you won't have trouble.
Old 03-26-2009   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Further proof that Dallas sucks.
Sadly, it not just in Dallas.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read