Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-25-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Outsiders:Texans select:Clint Sintim

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/nfl-...h-sanchez.html

Quote:
1. Detroit Lions -- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
2. St. Louis Rams -- Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
3. Kansas City Chiefs -- Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
4. Seattle Seahawks -- Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
5. Cleveland Browns -- Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
6. Cincinnati Bengals -- Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
7. Oakland Raiders -- B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
8. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
9. Green Bay Packers -- Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
10. San Fransisco 49ers -- Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
11. Buffalo Bills -- Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
12. Denver Broncos -- Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
13. Washington Redskins -- Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
14. New Orleans Saints -- Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
15. Houston Texans -- Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
16. San Diego Chargers -- Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
17. New York Jets -- Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

I don't know much about the guy
Quote:
The Texans have only completed the first phase of what should be a three-phase plan to fix their pass rush. Signing defensive end Antonio Smith to take over the defensive end spot vacated by the jettisoned Anthony Weaver is just the beginning. Smith isn't exactly a terror as a pass rusher, but is definitely an upgrade who figures to benefit from the new aggressive style of play the defense will be employing under new defensive coordinator Frank Bush, and new defensive line coach Bill Kollar.

Phase two of the plan should be to spend a high draft pick on a strong-side linebacker who can also rush the passer.

Enter Clint Sintim. He'll be looked at as a huge reach at 15, but with Cushing and Matthews both surprisingly off the board, I'm picking positional need over best player available. I have concerns about Sintim's ability to play the SAM in a 4-3, but his upside is huge so he is the pick.

Sintim is a violent, physical linebacker who has great closing speed. He's not a great cover linebacker, but he can rush the passer like nobody's business, making him very attractive to the Texans. He's fantastic at taking on and shedding blocks, and he's a sure tackler.

The Senior Bowl did not go well for Clint, but I always put a player's college body of work and on-field results over things like the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine. Phase one and two to fix the team's pass rush are now complete

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/nfl-...ut-top-15.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Outsiders:Texans select:Clint Sintim

Will seeing how most mocks are way off at this point, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there is a 0% chance this one is correct.

Crabtree to St. Louis is becoming popular but I still just can't see them passing on their pick of a LT.

Don't get me started on Stafford to Kansas City. Guess the Chiefs are already throwing in the towel on Matt Cassell.

Michael Oher would be my pick at #15 against many of y'alls liking.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, he's projecting Mathews to be off the board already?
Old 03-25-2009   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind either Clint Sintim or Clay Matthews, both of these OLBs can rush the passer and get in the QBs face. The Texans NEED a pass rusher but also a OLB that can shed blocks, which I believe both of these players do (I give Sintim the slight edge however).

Let's Go !!!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I wouldn't mind either Clint Sintim or Clay Matthews, both of these OLBs can rush the passer and get in the QBs face. The Texans NEED a pass rusher but also a OLB that can shed blocks, which I believe both of these players do (I give Sintim the slight edge however).

Let's Go !!!
Problem is neither one of them looks solid in pass coverage.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post

Let's Go !!!
Sintim plays in a 3-4 at UVA, and he projects to the 3-4 in the NFL. Matthews played a hybrid end...the same position Cushing played before. Cushing put up great numbers that year as well. Matthews did not. Matthews is another 3-4 LB.
Old 03-25-2009   #7
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Larry English!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2009   #8
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sintim was a very good player at UVA and he's a good character guy, but if he's going to play OLB, it needs to be in a 3-4. I'm not an expert on the differences between the two schemes (so correct me if I'm wrong), but a 4-3 OLB requires more agility and has to play in space more often than a 3-4 OLB. Sintim really struggled on the rare occasions he was asked to cover, and he often had trouble containing speedy players on the edge.

He's an outstanding pass-rusher who proved this past season that he didn't need Chris Long in front of him to get sacks. But, again, that is a skill that will be better maximized in a 3-4.

As much as I like the guy, he's not a good fit for us, and I certainly wouldn't take him at 15 even if Curry and all the USC LBs are off the board.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

IF this was the shakedown and we didn't select Oher I would shit myself, take off my pants and unders and mail them to Reliant.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's between Matthews and Sintim, I am taking Sintim a full round before Matthews.

I'm amazed at the Matthews hype around here. I'd be interested to see how many people have actually seen him play more than once.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Sintim plays in a 3-4 at UVA, and he projects to the 3-4 in the NFL. Matthews played a hybrid end...the same position Cushing played before. Cushing put up great numbers that year as well. Matthews did not. Matthews is another 3-4 LB.
We got it, and I respectfully disagree. He is the best in the class for this football teams needs. I say Cushing has maxed out and Mathews is just now hitting his stride. He hasn't finished growing. Be a shame if it fell like this.
Old 03-26-2009   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
If it's between Matthews and Sintim, I am taking Sintim a full round before Matthews.

I'm amazed at the Matthews hype around here. I'd be interested to see how many people have actually seen him play more than once.
I do like those big tree trunk legs that Sintim has. Lots of power in that dude.
Old 03-26-2009   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Never really agreed with the "this player is this type of player" stuff.

I think Sintim can play in both schemes. Obviously he is more familiar with the 3-4 but that does not mean that he can't play in the 4-3.
Old 03-26-2009   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I think Sintim can play in both schemes. Obviously he is more familiar with the 3-4 but that does not mean that he can't play in the 4-3.
Sintim was very stiff in coverage at the Senior Bowl. I think that's why most people assume only a 34 team will take him.
Old 03-26-2009   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well I watched Sintim playing the three four and at the combine if your expecting him to be more than a hand on the ground guy....drop in coverage....you're going to be diappointed. He's stiff.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=1807

the last paragraph please.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...009&genpos=OLB

'He might have to move .....inside.' We don't need that. He's a fine football player. Great upsde...but he belongs in a three four. And unless we're switching once again....or moving Ryans....I don't see it. CBSsports guy is throwning darts tring to hit something. Interesting but as worthless as teats on a boar.
Old 03-26-2009   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:

If a guy can't flip his hips....or read...he can't be an OLB in a forty three. And you can be just as baffeled at that as you want to be TS. But it's been that way for forty years.
Old 03-26-2009   #17
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I can't believe I'm running down my own guy, but here goes: Sintim is pretty awkward in any kind of lateral movement. And he's not particularly fast. On the plus side, he's stout and can take on blockers at the point of attack (absolutely necessary for a 3-4 OLB), and he is hell-on-wheels going forward which is why he's a good pass rusher. Again, these talents are ideally suited for a 3-4 OLB.

While they're useful skills for a 4-3 OLB, the position requires much more coverage work and lateral movement. I'm not saying he can't play the Sam in a 4-3, but his value to a 4-3 team is less than his value will be to a 3-4. And I'm not saying he won't be able to learn a 4-3 scheme, either--the kid is very bright--but his physical abilities are better suited to a 3-4.

Put it this way, if we ran a 3-4 and our biggest need was OLB, I'd consider trading up if I had any inkling that Sintim could be gone before the 15th pick. Some mocks, though, have him falling into the second round. If he does and we didn't draft an OLB in the first round, I'd definitely consider him there.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
If a guy can't flip his hips....or read...he can't be an OLB in a forty three. And you can be just as baffeled at that as you want to be TS. But it's been that way for forty years.
How many times have you read "this guy can't do this", and the next year the guy is doing it on a weekly basis? Look at Slaton.

I just go by what I see, and I see a good football player that has an all-around game, but is excellent on blitzes.

I'm the kind of guy that says "yea he might be better in a 3-4." I am not the kind of guy that says "he is a 3-4 linebacker, he will not play in the 4-3." Not sure why people think they know what a guy can or can't do from MAYBE watching a few games or reading a few paragraphs.

AKA I don't care what homeboy on nfldraftscout says.

Everybody has weaknesses and strengths. Sintim is a very good blitzer and therefore was used as that type of player during his time at UVA. Just because he is unfamiliar or uncomfortable with some things he isn't all that experienced in, doesn't mean he can't do it.

JMO.
Old 03-26-2009   #19
Polo

I don't take any mocks seriously, but with this one I wouldn't even be able to use it as a good reference...
Old 03-26-2009   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How many times have you read "this guy can't do this", and the next year the guy is doing it on a weekly basis? Look at Slaton.

I just go by what I see, and I see a good football player that has an all-around game, but is excellent on blitzes.

I'm the kind of guy that says "yea he might be better in a 3-4." I am not the kind of guy that says "he is a 3-4 linebacker, he will not play in the 4-3." Not sure why people think they know what a guy can or can't do from MAYBE watching a few games or reading a few paragraphs.

AKA I don't care what homeboy on nfldraftscout says.

Everybody has weaknesses and strengths. Sintim is a very good blitzer and therefore was used as that type of player during his time at UVA. Just because he is unfamiliar or uncomfortable with some things he isn't all that experienced in, doesn't mean he can't do it.

JMO.
Which is why: A. they are fixing to draft a Rb to help take the load off of Salton.
B. Why you are confussed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read