Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2009   #1
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak Comments on #15, Okoye, and Brown

From ESPN's AFC South Blog:

Quote:
What do you expect out of your first-round pick?

Our first-round pick has to have a big impact on our team. The more the first-round pick continues to be an impact player, the better we're going to get. We could still use an impact player at linebacker and on the backend (but) we'd be hard-pressed to take a receiver or a running back in the first round.

How important is it for you to hit a home run with that pick?

It's very important. We've made progress, and for us to make some more progress, that guy has to be an impact player.

On Okoye's second-year drop off and expectations for him now:

Amobi's got to become an impact player. You talk about this year's No. 1 pick becoming an impact player, that's what we need him to do. When it comes to taking the next step for our defense, Amobi's more important than anybody. I was a little disappointed last season but not with his work. He battled a high ankle sprain. I think we're over those things. He's grown up. He's more mature. I like the way he's started the offseason. Bill [Kollar] has a good reputation with players like Amobi and what his talent is as far as coming off the ball. It's a big year for him."

On what Kubiak wants to see from Okoye:

I want to see him be active, be a factor. We want him to be a factor in all phases of the game. Sometimes I think he worried so much about trying to get sacks that he forgot about having fun and just cutting it loose and playing the game. Sacks aren't the most important thing. We expect him to be a big-time contributor.

If Okoye is the one defensive player who has to step up, who's the one offensive player who has to step up?

I think Duane Brown has to take another step forward. There's no more coming off the field like he did last year [when backup Ephraim Salaam played every fourth series]. He made a lot of progress as a rookie starting every game, and now he has to make more to help our offense be more successful.
AFC South Blog

Nothing too Earth-shattering in there, but still good to read

Last edited by TexanAddict; 03-25-2009 at 04:10 PM.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak Comments on #15, Okoye, and Brown

"We could still use an impact player at linebacker and on the backend (but) we'd be hard-pressed to take a receiver or a running back in the first round."
Last time I checked we've got an "impact player at linebacker", so I'm guessing he means another one ?
And I dunno what he means by "the backend" ? The defensive backfield ?
BTW coach, you still need another edge-rusher across from Mario. Did you forget ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #3
Polo

Backend = DB's
Old 03-25-2009   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"We could still use an impact player at linebacker and on the backend (but) we'd be hard-pressed to take a receiver or a running back in the first round."
Last time I checked we've got an "impact player at linebacker", so I'm guessing he means another one ?
BTW coach, you still need another edge-rusher across from Mario. Did you forget ?

Shhhh... this misdirection is part of his jedi plan. Don't spoil it.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That kind of threw me too at first. I suspect it'd be like him saying "We need an impact pass rusher from the DE spot". I don't think he is discounting Demeco (or in this hypothetically Mario) but saying we need [another] one. another being implied.

Good read, I love hearing things straight from the horses...err Coache's mouth! Very interesting about his comment on the WR and RB in the 1st. I like hearing that but hope it doesn't mean he'd reach for a D player. I'd rather him be thinking we should trade down and target a/the D player further down. Can't wait for the draft!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
C'mon man, at 15 who is there to put across from Mario? Did you forget to account for the situation? Sounds like LB/DB are the preferred choice at #15 but that certainly has little impact on whether or not they try for another DE later, besides the guy they just signed. Don't know if I would put him down as forgetting just yet.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #7
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, I think we go best LB available, @ 15 unless Jinkin's fall's to us which I think thay will consider
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2009   #8
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
Yea, I think we go best LB available, @ 15 unless Jinkin's fall's to us which I think thay will consider
I'd rather reach for somebody like Alphonso Smith(if Jenkins isn't there) than take any Linebacker in this class not named Curry.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #9
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our first-round pick has to have a big impact on our team. The more the first-round pick continues to be an impact player, the better we're going to get. We could still use an impact player at linebacker and on the backend (but) we'd be hard-pressed to take a receiver or a running back in the first round.
is this the old Jedi mind trick to make folks think we're going Cushing or Matthews???
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #10
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
Sounds like that is waht he is implying. I hope Vonte Davis is gone so we dont even have to consider him. I would take Darius Butler over him any day of the week. Yes even at 15.

So lets see, Jenkins, Davis and Butler are the only CB's worthy of 15. There are absolutely no S's worth that high of a pick. Kubiack has made it known that Demeco isnt moving outside so any LB we draft would have to be an "impact player" on the outside. That leaves Curry, Mathews and possibly Barwin, English and Sintim? All of these LB's bring the added bonus of being able to put their hand down and russ the passer.

Wonder who it will be?

Actually after rereading Kubiacks comments im confused alittle.

Bakend has to mean CB right? Plus why does he add "(but) we'd be hard-pressed to take a receiver or a running back in the first round."? Just seems like there was no reason to even add that remark. Oohhhh my head is spinning. I cant wait until the draft dammit.
Old 03-25-2009   #11
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Sounds like that is waht he is implying. I hope Vonte Davis is gone so we dont even have to consider him. I would take Darius Butler over him any day of the week. Yes even at 15.

So lets see, Jenkins, Davis and Butler are the only CB's worthy of 15. There are absolutely no S's worth that high of a pick. Kubiack has made it known that Demeco isnt moving outside so any LB we draft would have to be an "impact player" on the outside. That leaves Curry, Mathews and possibly Barwin, English and Sintim? All of these LB's bring the added bonus of being able to put their hand down and russ the passer.

Wonder who it will be?

Actually after rereading Kubiacks comments im confused alittle.

Bakend has to mean CB right? Plus why does he add "(but) we'd be hard-pressed to take a receiver or a running back in the first round."? Just seems like there was no reason to even add that remark. Oohhhh my head is spinning. I cant wait until the draft dammit.
That comment confuses me as well. We don't need a 1st round WR or RB yet I can't tell what he is implying with that comment.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #12
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
That comment confuses me as well. We don't need a 1st round WR or RB yet I can't tell what he is implying with that comment.

Does it mean we're going to pull "a Duane Brown" and pick a player nobody had going in the 1st to fill our needs on ?

I seriosuly think its going to be OLB, all I hope is we don't reach for a player like Tyrone McKenzie or whatever.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Does it mean we're going to pull "a Duane Brown" and pick a player nobody had going in the 1st to fill our needs on ?

I seriosuly think its going to be OLB, all I hope is we don't reach for a player like Tyrone McKenzie or whatever.
The ONLY offensive player I can see us taking in the 1st round would be Maclin. He is the only guy that would be available that would be justified with the 15th pick. Oher is a possiblity, but then do we move Duane Brown to Guard? I don't really know how that would work out.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-25-2009   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who is that in youre aviator? Oh yeh and what you said.
Old 03-25-2009   #15
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Who is that in youre aviator? Oh yeh and what you said.
Keeley Hazell, British supermodel.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-25-2009   #16
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
she's rather healthy.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #17
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
she's rather healthy.
Lol that's an understatement if I ever heard one.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-25-2009   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The ONLY offensive player I can see us taking in the 1st round would be Maclin. He is the only guy that would be available that would be justified with the 15th pick. Oher is a possiblity, but then do we move Duane Brown to Guard? I don't really know how that would work out.
Either Maclin or Oher on the Board are possiblilties, though probably not likely.
But as always predicated on what other players remain on the Board for our pick and opportunities (if any) to move back, either of these 2 offensive players might represent the BPA at #15, even if not a need compared to other areas.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if we "reach" for her in the 1st. She's got the impact we need on the backend, if that's what Kubiak is really referring too.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #20
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I wouldn't mind if we "reach" for her in the 1st. She's got the impact we need on the backend, if that's what Kubiak is really referring too.
I think she'd have the biggest impact on my front end.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read