Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-18-2005   #41
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

how can anyone can give any kind of definate evaluation of our offensive players.. without the line working.. that just blows my mind.

Seems like every year we are talking about Gaffney looking good and really improving.. then as soon as the offseason rolls around everyone starts talking about how he sucks.. whatever... he will continue to be a great WR for us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #42
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I would draft Rolle if this unlikely scenario were to play out...It doesn't really address our bigger needs, but IMO he's the BPA, and he does address our need to find Glenn's replacement...I wouldn't be mad if we were to get Williams, though...As it's already been said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re
I'd pay to see an AJ+MW light show
Old 01-18-2005   #43
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Ex: If we picked up Bubba Franks and Walter Jones to help with pass and run blocking, would any of you have a problem witht them drafting M. Williams?
Yes I would have a problem, because we still wouldnt have a defense and the Colts proved that no matter how good your offense is, you will get run over when it counts the most when you cant stop anyone...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #44
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I think the most important thing is we get a playmaker with the 13th pick. and someone who will hopefully be competing for a starting position late in the season at worst. or will be a 5-10 year starter.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #45
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Yes I would have a problem, because we still wouldnt have a defense and the Colts proved that no matter how good your offense is, you will get run over when it counts the most when you cant stop anyone...
You missed the entire point.

The point i was trying to make was that we still haven't seen what will happen in free agency and that can determine who we will decide to pick up in the draft. Just because this Mel Moron came up with these picks in his head doesn't mean that's who the texans will decide to go with.

There are so many ifs and buts left to deal with that their is absolutely no way to tell who or what position the texans will decide draft for.
Old 01-18-2005   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
does anyone know what kind of contract the 13th pick in last years draft got?
A #13 pick would get a 5-6 year deal for around $10 million.
Old 01-18-2005   #47
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

i think everyone understands that its just a mock draft. but until the draft comes the only thing we can do is discuss, debate, and have heated discourse until draft day.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2005   #48
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kiper has something there, but TE/C/FS are more pressing needs.
How is FS a need? Isn't that why we extended Coleman's contract last season?
Old 01-18-2005   #49
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Yeah i can't get over the fact that people think we should draft a safty either. IMO i think that would be a waste of a pick, especially if it's on the first day.
Old 01-18-2005   #50
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Some people feel that Coleman is overrated and stinks. Others, like me and the ones who gave him the contract extension, feel that he will be a playmaker in the secondary for a few more years.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 01-18-2005   #51
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like he is and will be a playmaker at FS. He has made some big plays this past season...
Old 01-18-2005   #52
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Some people feel that Coleman is overrated and stinks. Others, like me and the ones who gave him the contract extension, feel that he will be a playmaker in the secondary for a few more years.
Come on Fiddy you and I both know that CBs can't be effective after making the switch to S. Just look at Rod Woodson, or Aeneas Williams. Those guys were never any good back there playing safety, they never made any big plays to prove they're still playmakers, and they most definately didn't prolong their careers any.

Last edited by texasguy346; 01-18-2005 at 06:11 PM.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #53
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You guys seem to forget that our D needs a FS and SS. Look, Coleman was not a shutdown safety like I envisioned him to be. If we draft a Safety and Earl works out, Coleman might not even start.....
So we should bench Coleman and his fat 3 year contract?
Old 01-18-2005   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
How does Carr stay upright long enough to get the ball down the field? How does the defense get the ball back to the offense? You don't need 2 TO's or 2 AJ's to win in the NFL. But, you do need solid offensive & defensive lines.
I absolutely agree that the OL has to come together for whatever offensive weapons the Texans have to be exploited. Having said that, I bet there are either zero or 1 new starting OLmen when the season starts next year, and neither will be a tackle. With that expectation, I will not be at all surprised if a CB or WR is taken again in the 1st.
Old 01-18-2005   #55
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure exactly what you envisioned, but I surely didn't expect Coleman to become Brian Dawkins in his first year playing FS. Even if you bring in a rookie you can't honestly expect him to become a shutdown safety in his first season. I feel that Coleman will continue to improve at the position like he did through the season, and keep in mind that he was playing injured for a few games too. I think most have Thomas Davis as the top safety in this year's draft, and the worst aspect of his game is coverage. So I'm not sure how he would be an improvement over Coleman. Even if you're aiming at picking up a Safety later on in day one you won't be able to expect an immediate improvement at the S positions. I just can't imagine the Texans taking a safety on the first day, and as far as day 2 goes it is all a toss up.
Old 01-18-2005   #56
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
So we should bench Coleman and his fat 3 year contract?
I thought his contract extension actually reduced his cap hit to somewhere around 3million as opposed to 4 or soemthing.
Old 01-18-2005   #57
texan279
Hall of Fame

I thought he was getting 3.? mil a year for the next 3 seasons. I thought the total contract was for 10.? mil over 3 seasons.
Old 01-18-2005   #58
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I absolutely agree that the OL has to come together for whatever offensive weapons the Texans have to be exploited. Having said that, I bet there are either zero or 1 new starting OLmen when the season starts next year, and neither will be a tackle. With that expectation, I will not be at all surprised if a CB or WR is taken again in the 1st.
If we do take a WR, I would much rather have Braylon Edwards then Mike Williams (although he will be gone according to this draft). That is my opinion though...

Old 01-18-2005   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Kiper has something there, but TE/C/FS are more pressing needs. To draft WR means

1) Payne will be back...
2) Earl, Faggings and Brown will improve as starters
3) Bennie J can play next season
First off, while you are pimping Thomas Davis, understand that he projects to SS in the NFL not FS. His weaknesses are speed and coverage ability.

1) Payne will be back...and I will bet on a 3-4 year contract at 2.5 to 3.0 mil a year.
2) Earl will become the starter and yes should improve as do most players in their second freakin year in the NFL. Faggins isn't a starter now, but will continue to improve.
3) The Texans have a far better idea than anyone around here about the likelihood of Joppru playing.
Old 01-18-2005   #60
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
I thought he was getting 3.? mil a year for the next 3 seasons. I thought the total contract was for 10.? mil over 3 seasons.
It's a 3 year deal, but I believe it reduced how much of the cap he took up this year. Where's aj when you need him?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read