Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-18-2005   #21
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan281
I would absolutely LOVE that pick...
Why? Especially when our #2 WR last year, Gaffney, was targeted only 68 times and our RB Davis was targeted 85 times. And that pick wouldnt help our D-Line which in return would help our LBs, which in turn would help the secondary, which in turn would help field position, which in return would help the offense...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #22
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

And could have had alot more if he ran better routes and had the speed or size to be a number 2 reciever. Id be exstatic with that pick!
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

This is Kiper's 1st mock of the year, right? Let's look back at this when Mel puts out his draft eve mock and see how many of the picks are the same. My over/under on the total is 5 of the 32 picks. And I'm taking the under.
Old 01-18-2005   #24
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
And could have had alot more if he ran better routes and had the speed or size to be a number 2 reciever. Id be exstatic with that pick!
Gaff has been repeatley metioned as the best route runner on the team. Steve Largent wasnt a burner and he is in the hall of fame. Gaff just needs more balls thrown his way then Davis...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 01-18-2005   #25
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

I just have to think that there is a reason for that, one that we dont see on Sunday's but on the practice field. I could be wrong, I dont pretend to think Im right but I can remember a few times where Gaff ran the wrong routes etc. and maybe thats a bigger problem than a couple of times a game.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #26
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
I just have to think that there is a reason for that, one that we dont see on Sunday's but on the practice field. I could be wrong, I dont pretend to think Im right but I can remember a few times where Gaff ran the wrong routes etc. and maybe thats a bigger problem than a couple of times a game.
The reason is Carr doesnt give some plays any chances. You can tell on about 4 pass plays a games where Carr is thinking Davis all the way. I call it from my room cause I can tell by how Carr drops back. Carr has to give Gaff more chances...

I remember one play this year against the Titans when Gaff stopped when he should of kept going but that is the only one I know of....

Old 01-18-2005   #27
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 18 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

Gaffney had 2-1/2 catches per game. That's a #2 WR? Something's gotta give there.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2005   #28
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek281
Gaffney had 2-1/2 catches per game. That's a #2 WR? Something's gotta give there.
And thats because Gaff was only targeted 4 times a game so he came up with the ball more then 60% of the time...

Old 01-18-2005   #29
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last season, he averaged 15.4 ypc #1 on the Texans, 1 yard more per catch than AJ, his long was 69 yards #1 on the Texans, and that was 15 yards longer than AJ's longest catch, and he had 632 yards total receiving, 2nd only behind AJ.
Old 01-18-2005   #30
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I remember one play this year against the Titans when Gaff stopped when he should of kept going but that is the only one I know of....
thats not necessarily bad route running as it is a bad read.

whether his numbers are those of a #2, he is a perfect fit for a slot reciever and thats where he will get the most production.
Old 01-18-2005   #31
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Williams is very, very likely to become a better NFL WR than Jabar Gaffney. That said, Williams would never get the number of passes directed to him with the Texans that AJ gets. And how does Williams help the O-line? Or the D-line depth? Or getting to the opposing QB? It would be great to have Mike Williams on the Texans, but he solves none of the Texans problems.
Old 01-18-2005   #32
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I'd rather take TE Heath Miller from Virginia and let Armstrong, Gaffney, and maybe a free agent mid level pick up (Rod Gardner from Wash) compete for the number 2 job.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #33
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 18 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Mike Williams is very, very likely to become a better NFL WR than Jabar Gaffney. That said, Williams would never get the number of passes directed to him with the Texans that AJ gets. And how does Williams help the O-line? Or the D-line depth? Or getting to the opposing QB? It would be great to have Mike Williams on the Texans, but he solves none of the Texans problems.
I don't think some people realize how good this Mike Williams is. He IS another AJ or a TO. This guy is a Top 5 WR in the NFL within a couple of years.

He solves problems by opening the field big time.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #34
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Or just wing it in FA or latter rounds.

The best Mike could do for our offense is drive a lot of attention away from blitzing or giving us a run game. I mean, it is kind of a poison.... sit back and cover AJ+MW and let Davis run wild on draws, or blitz every down and let Carr throw fades and hitches to AJ+MW and let them run wild and jump all over the secondary.

We can argue both ways if drafting MW over a line is detrimental or beneficial.

Personally, I'd pay to see an AJ+MW light show.

Sure, probably end up with a Colt offense, but this time, our receivers can actually put up a fight. :/
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #35
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

He is a safe pick, but if a Heath Miller or Alex Baron is available, they are just as safe a pick, in a position we desprately need.
Old 01-18-2005   #36
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek281
He solves problems by opening the field big time.
How does Carr stay upright long enough to get the ball down the field? How does the defense get the ball back to the offense? You don't need 2 TO's or 2 AJ's to win in the NFL. But, you do need solid offensive & defensive lines.
Old 01-18-2005   #37
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

So, we pass on Antrell Rolle, Thomas Davis, Jammal Brown and Alex Barronto draft Mike Williams, not saying he wouldnt help our offense, but thinking the Texans would pass on all that defensive and o-line help for a WR wow.
Old 01-18-2005   #38
AndreJ
All Pro

This is one guys guess of how the draft will go. It is not written in stone anywhere that we will draft Mike Williams.

Also we have not seen what the texans will do in FA which could make a huge difference on how they decide to draft.

Ex: If we picked up Bubba Franks and Walter Jones to help with pass and run blocking, would any of you have a problem witht them drafting M. Williams?

Changes alot doesn't it. Right now there are still 3 months left to the draft and god knows what kind of changes we could see in our roster. Theres only one way to find out and I'm sure going by Mel is not it.
Old 01-18-2005   #39
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I dont know. i guess there are worse picks, i wouldn't be furious, it wouldn't be like we didn't get a playmaker. but it wouldnt make sense since everyone seems to say we are a running team, why another wide out? maybe another running back or something but it just don't make sense.

does anyone know what kind of contract the 13th pick in last years draft got?
Old 01-18-2005   #40
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

if we got Walter Jones and Bubba Franks, i'd have to say that A. Rolle would be the pick, imagine him and DR back there in a couple years

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read