Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-24-2009   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Denver RBs on the Block

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-running-back/

Quote:
Two NFL executives say the Broncos have been asking teams if they are interested in acquiring one of their running backs. It makes sense after the Broncos signed three free-agent tailbacks: Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan.

The Broncos’ holdover running backs who can be had for trade: Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #2
Polo

Default Re: Denver RBs on the Block

I'll trade next years 7th for Selvin
Old 03-24-2009   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

No thank you on Selvin Young, as I have seen way too much of him to know he is not worth givin up anything for other than league minimum.

I did like Hillis at Arkansas and before the injury.
Old 03-24-2009   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Torain is a beast. I think he has some injury history though.

I like Hillis as well.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

torain had alot of pre-season hype from denver fans.. dont know if its justified or not cos he got injured before nearly anyone saw him

hillis did lok good

wouldnt mind giving up a late rounder on either
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Hillis was the most consistent RB that Denver had last season that came out of nowhere when he got his chance because all of their backs got hurt. If the Texans want a nice guy and a bruiser to pair with Slaton than here is the guy. When he was playing, he was doing everything from running in between the tackles to catching short passes, he was a total utility player for them. He would be a very big help to this team no question. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be going after this guy and trying to trade a late rounder especially since we were going after Ced Benson. If we could get Hillis, that would take a lot of the importance away from having to use a pick in the 3rd or 4th on a RB to pair with Slaton.

If HIllis goes to a team that utilizes his strengths he'll be a nice player to have for many years. He is really young and doesn't have a lot of miles on him either. Plus he already knows the running system that we run over here.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember someone on this board was all over the Hillis train last year?

I can't remember who it was though? Beerlover maybe? Or Threetoedpete? I think it was one of them, or both.
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I remember someone on this board was all over the Hillis train last year?

I can't remember who it was though? Beerlover maybe? Or Threetoedpete? I think it was one of them, or both.
I never knew who he was until last season, but when he got his chance he was all over the place getting those tough yards that the Broncos had been lacking in getting all season. Unfortunately he got hurt in like his 3rd start or something like that. The dude was all utility type of player though that could play well on basically any team.
Old 03-24-2009   #9
Dean 74
Rookie

c'mon guys,
don't we love the hometown guys?
selvin comming from jersey village high and being a longhorn?
Dean 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I never knew who he was until last season, but when he got his chance he was all over the place getting those tough yards that the Broncos had been lacking in getting all season. Unfortunately he got hurt in like his 3rd start or something like that. The dude was all utility type of player though that could play well on basically any team.
I really liked him at Arkansas. He played FB and I think he was all conference.

He isn't the best blocker for a FB, but he runs very well and he can catch out of the backfield.
Old 03-24-2009   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

don't be surprised if the Texans take a look at one or all since they fit ZBS & Kubiak has a proclivity for Shanahan players
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #12
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well instead of drafting a big RB in the 3rd or 4th round we could send a late round pick to Denver for Hillis. He's a big bruising RB and already has experience in the zone blocking scheme. Actually he was very effective in it last year. I also love Ryan Torain, but it seems like he's been injured every season since he was a SOPH in college.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Who was the kid that came from UofH that tore us up in the preseason game last year? Can't we trade for him?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I really liked him at Arkansas. He played FB and I think he was all conference.

He isn't the best blocker for a FB, but he runs very well and he can catch out of the backfield.
He found the end zone in every game he started last season I believe. He is the kind of bruiser that we could use in the red zone. If Smith isn't trying to pull off a deal on a guy like this that could easily help the team that should be able to be had for a late pick like 6th or something, I won't ever expect the Texans to go after any real free agents. This is a guy that could be had for cheap right now, and exactly what we need. Mcdaniels is letting a lot of those Broncos players go right now and all but Cutler will probably go for a bargain since teams know that Mcdaniels doesn't want them and if they keep those guys Mcdaniels probably won't utilize certain players any way, so it's pretty useless to keep them.
Old 03-24-2009   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Just asking...we got an extra 4th right? So we have a pick to spend. Not necessarily a 4th but what I'm saying is getting rid of a pick for a player with experience (good experience at that) doesn't hurt the number of picks we have in this year's draft. I say make the deal and get it done.

P.S. Can someone remind me how we got the extra 4th again?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
P.S. Can someone remind me how we got the extra 4th again?

Traded Sage to the Vikings.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #17
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Who was the kid that came from UofH that tore us up in the preseason game last year? Can't we trade for him?

Anthony Aldridge? He was waived by Denver and picked up by Washington.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

At 6'2" and 250#, he is a bruiser, difficult to bring down. Last year, when given a chance, he managed 5 yds/carry for 5 TDs and no fumbles. He knows the system. But here's the hooker............he's coming off a December injury leading to post-season hamstring repair. Despite this, he should have enough time to rehab adequately by OT. And this type of repaired injury is less likely to recur than a pure tear. I say bring him in.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hillis is exactly the kind of player I would think McDaniels likes and would want to keep.

In anycase, I'd definitely give up a late round pick for the guy. He could be a GREAT fullback in this system and a good guy to split carries with Slaton. I would be excited about that.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Hillis is exactly the kind of player I would think McDaniels likes and would want to keep.

In anycase, I'd definitely give up a late round pick for the guy. He could be a GREAT fullback in this system and a good guy to split carries with Slaton. I would be excited about that.

That use of his talent was not that highly touted at the time of his draft. However, with the correct coaching, this could be a definite dual potential.:

Quote:
BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter who totaled 62/347/2 on the ground last season when he led Arkansas in receiving with 49/537/5. Junior-year totals included pass-catching numbers of 19/159. Has lined up at both fullback and tailback. Used to return punts the past three seasons.

POSITIVES: Athletic lead blocker who.s also been productive handling the ball. Plays with a good degree of quickness, shows good vision, and fast enough to turn the corner and create space for the ball-carrier. Works hard, seals opponents from the action, and chips defenders to open lanes for running backs. Effective receiver who adjusts to the errant throw and makes the reception in stride. Possesses the speed to be a downfield pass-catching threat. Instinctive, immediately picks up blitzes, and stays with assignments.

NEGATIVES: Marginally strong at the point, gathers into blocks, and rarely finishes off defenders. Does a lot of unnecessary cut-blocking. Lacks top ball-carrying skills.

ANALYSIS: Hillis is an oversized running back who lacks the pure strength to be a lead blocker. His pass-catching skills and athleticism are best suited for a west coast offense.

PROJECTION: Early Fifth Round
[LINK]
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read