Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2009   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The (probable) uncapped year & how it affects the Texans

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Quote:
For starters, once the salary cap disappears, players can't be free agents until they've completed six NFL seasons, rather than four. That means there will be fewer quality young players in the 2010 free-agent pool, and less talent for any spend-happy teams to accumulate.

"That's huge, the six seasons before free agency,'' one of the general managers told me. "But it's also a bit of a funky spot to be in because, let's face it, there are going to be some unhappy players who thought they were about to get to free agency. You've got a guy who just finished his fourth season, but now he's not coming up [for free agency]. That's why I keep saying to some of my agent friends, 'Man, this is real. Don't think this will never happen or that it's going to go away and be fine. You've got to be right about this.' ''

In addition, teams in 2010 would own an extra transition tag, meaning a franchise could use both a franchise tag and a transition tag on two of its own free agents (or two transition tags) in the same season, as opposed to the one or another they get to designate now. Again, that stipulation should serve to limit the quality of the free agents who actually reach the open free agent market.
i was reading this article and was hoping people would confirm if this is how it relates to the Texans...

it seems the texans have already began preparing for this with the lack of long term player resignings.. anyway, assuming no new re-signings, is this correct?

next year

-Demeco will be a RFA instead of an UFA
-Same with Dunta
-Same with Owen
etc

while this means the texans will be able to keep alot of their best players on relatively cheap 1 yr contracts, it means there will be alot of dressing room discontent. it also probably explains why dunta and demeco are so pissed at not getting contracts this season
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The (probable) uncapped year & how it affects the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

i was reading this article and was hoping people would confirm if this is how it relates to the Texans...

it seems the texans have already began preparing for this with the lack of long term player resignings.. anyway, assuming no new re-signings, is this correct?

next year

-Demeco will be a RFA instead of an UFA
-Same with Dunta
-Same with Owen
etc

while this means the texans will be able to keep alot of their best players on relatively cheap 1 yr contracts, it means there will be alot of dressing room discontent. it also probably explains why dunta and demeco are so pissed at not getting contracts this season

Here's the list:

UFAs
CPitts
KWalter
DRobinson (all 3 would have 6 years of NFL experience)
KBrown
CBrown
MTurk

RFAs
ODaniels
DRyans
RButler
SMcClover (all have expired contracts but less than 6 years experience)
CWhite
Briesel
Bulman
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #3
Polo

I don't really have a problem with there not being as much player movement...I kinda like the idea of being able to keep a lot of players from the core of your team...
Old 03-24-2009   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't really have a problem with there not being as much player movement...I kinda like the idea of being able to keep a lot of players from the core of your team...
Well, if the Texans don't sign a number of extensions after the draft, then next year had better be uncapped or this team is ruined!... I don't mean to sound that alarmist, because I expect a number of deal to get done. However, if we get into August without some of these guys extended, I'm going to be depressed and have to root against a CBA getting done.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #5
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Couple these rules with the league just announcing its new deal with DirectTV that will pay them regardless of whether there's football in 2011, and you can tell that they are digging in.

The union's trump card is Congress, which will, as currently constituted, be sympathetic to the players. But there is only so much heat Congress can bring: unlike MLB which enjoys a broad antitrust exemption, the NFL only has a limited antitrust exemption that allows the league to negotiate collectively for its TV contracts (otherwise, each team would cut its own TV deal). Congress could take that exemption away, but the NFL right now is working on extending its existing contracts to delay the effect of such a move for as long as possible.

The owners regretted the last CBA almost instantly, and they are ready to go to all-out war to get concessions. For all the recriminations from the union about Gene Upshaw being too chummy with management, the real daggers were pointed at Paul Tagliabue for being too close to Upshaw. It's no accident that he's not the commissioner any more.

This is not going to end well for anyone.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #6
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...iorities_N.htm Brief explanation and most recent I could find. Doe snot go deep into things like free agency but may help a little.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read