Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Last piece of the draft day puzzle: compensatory picks announced

So, I wonder what the tacks will get for loosing Haynesworth in 2010 ? Is the third round the highest you can garner....or will they get a one at the end of the round next year ?

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/100507/512

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

One club this year (Arizona Cardinals) will receive a compensatory pick even though it did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents last year. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents Arizona lost were ranked higher than the ones it signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

The magical formula. Only those with the magic know what the formula is.

Last edited:
So, I wonder what the tacks will get for loosing Haynesworth in 2010 ? Is the third round the highest you can garner....or will they get a one at the end of the round next year ?

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/100507/512

The magical formula. Only those with the magic know what the formula is.

The highest compensatory pick a team can get is in the third round. You can probably go ahead and pencil in the Tacks for one of those next year.

There's a guy who posts on the KFFL board who's something of a guru at predicting compensatory picks. His projection for this year was pretty darned close. He was only off on the top 17 picks by one selection--though it was a pretty big one. He had the Steelers getting a third round pick for losing Alan Faneca, but the NFL only gave them a fifth round pick. That aside, he had the rest of the first 17 nailed in exactly the right order. The rest of his picks weren't too far off, either.

Here's a link to his projection:
http://forums.kffl.com/showthread.php?t=247418

For what it's worth, Dallas got a 5th rounder for Jacque Reeves while the Seahawks got a 7th rounder for Kevin Bentley.

For the second consecutive year, I’ve used a mathematical formula to weight the three factors that determine a player’s value in the comp equation (his contract, his playing time and his postseason awards). Using this formula, I’ve been able to reconstruct almost precisely the order of the comp picks that were awarded in 2006, 2007 and 2008. In two of those years, the only difference between the reconstructed order and the actual order was that a very small difference in values had the order of two consecutive picks switched. I don’t know if I have the factors weighted correctly, but given that my projected order last year (not the reconstructed order after the actual comps were awarded) matched the exact order of the comp picks in many cases – including one instance of 11 straight, out of the projected picks I had correct – I think I’m probably pretty close.

Ah, the majical formula know one but the NFL knows....until they, the NFL posts it, I'm figuring they have something to hide.

So, if a team loses a good player they gain a pick. The team that gained the free agent loses a pick..... Is this correct? SO does the team that gains the pick, do they get the pick from the team that they lost the free agent to?

So, if a team loses a good player they gain a pick. The team that gained the free agent loses a pick..... Is this correct? SO does the team that gains the pick, do they get the pick from the team that they lost the free agent to?

Nobody loses a pick. The Falcons don't lose a pick for signing Michael Turner, the Eagles don't lose a pick for signing Asante Samuel, even though SD and NE each get picks (that is to say there will be rounds where more than 32 selections are made).

And theoretically (as has been indicated earlier, the formula itself is somewhat mysterious), if a team loses a player, they only gain a pick if they fail to replace him with somebody as good or better via free agency.

How they determine how good players acquired and players lost were is a riddle inside of a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.

Nobody loses a pick. The Falcons don't lose a pick for signing Michael Turner, the Eagles don't lose a pick for signing Asante Samuel, even though SD and NE each get picks (that is to say there will be rounds where more than 32 selections are made).

And theoretically (as has been indicated earlier, the formula itself is somewhat mysterious), if a team loses a player, they only gain a pick if they fail to replace him with somebody as good or better via free agency.

How they determine how good players acquired and players lost were is a riddle inside of a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.

ok, thanks for the info.

Texans draft position (post compensatory picks)

1st Round (15)
2nd Round (46)
3rd Round (77)
4th Round (112)
4th Round -via Vikings (122)
5th Round (152)
6th Round (188)
7th Round (223)

Back