Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2009   #1
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lions will take #1 is .......

Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700

KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Last edited by texanfan2002114; 03-23-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Didn't add a link for those who link one! :-)
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Re: Lions will take #1 is .......

Random.....

But I'm sure people said the same thing when "Mario Williams will be the 1st overall pick" as well.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #3
Polo

Good.

Hopefully that pushes some trade bait our way.
Old 03-23-2009   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be a very smart move for Detroit and will hopefully change some of the draft order to benifit us.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Stafford got a high mark of 38 in the Wonderlic Test if you believe in that type of thing and smarts on the field. The Lions need that..lol

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 03-23-2009 at 11:20 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

The best thing that could happen for us is if 5 left tackles, 2 running backs, 3 recievers, 2 QB's(3 would be nice) and 2 3-4 OLb's go before us. If that happened, Either Raji or Curry would fall. Best case senario.
Old 03-23-2009   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were the Lions I'd seriously consider trading the top pick for Jeff Cutler ?
No player in this Draft, no matter how talented, can offer what Cutler does -
he's already proved he's not just established but an all-pro talent. And he
plays at the most important position and the Lions need a starting QB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2009   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
If I were the Lions I'd seriously consider trading the top pick for Jeff Cutler ?
I would look long and hard at that, and I agree. He is a better QB than Stafford, and you would pay him less, at least for now. A #1 overall QB salary is not a nice thing.
Old 03-23-2009   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
The best thing that could happen for us is if 5 left tackles, 2 running backs, 3 recievers, 2 QB's(3 would be nice) and 2 3-4 OLb's go before us. If that happened, Either Raji or Curry would fall. Best case senario.
Raji! Raji! Man, we would never hear the end from John McClain if his Alma Mater Produces the #1 guy.
Old 03-23-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

The funny part is that Don Banks had this happening over a week ago and some people thought his mock wasn't realistic. I just think it is a crapshoot and guys fall all the time for no reason or rise for no reason.
Old 03-23-2009   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason Smith is the flavor of the month. I still think the QB will win out.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting. I think he is a very solid choice, and I am not a fan of Stafford.

I like it, good first pick if true.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

meh im taking it with a grain of salt as its so early... but it is a copycat league and with the success of thomas & clady and to a tad lesser extent Long, taking an impact OT high is the flavour of the month in the nfl

plus they'll prob still be able to pick either sanchez or freeman at 20 or 33
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
If Detroit trades for Cutler its much more likely that they package their # 20 overall pick along with some other picks/players. Denver would not want the number 1 overall, especially in this draft. The draft is weak at the top and nobody wants to spend # 1 overall money this year. Denver would much rather take a package of picks and spend roughly the same amount on several rookies.

But imagine Cutler throwing to Calvin Johnson now that they've got a good LT protecting his blind side... Detroit would definately be on the fast track rebuilding imo. Franchise LT and QB covered in the same year (the two most important positions on offense) to go with the stud WR they already had and their solid young RB would give them the pieces for a formidable offense next season.
Old 03-23-2009   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've had Jason Smith going #1 in my mocks since before the combine.

I just don't see Stafford as a franchise QB and if the Lions don't take him then that essentially means they think the same thing.

Not all teams see the players the same way. There is no sense in taking Stafford #1 just because he is a QB. You only do it if you think he is a franchise guy.

If you don't think that, you go to the best guy, who I think is Jason Smith.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #16
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

This would be a good move for the Lions. I have Stafford 11th on my big board, based mostly on physical talent and potential. Taking him #1 would be a mistake.

I'm not sure that Smith is the LT I would go with though. I have him and Monroe rated very close together, with Smith being more NFL ready now, and Monroe having more potential. I could see them going either way, but since they're not going to be winning any time in the near future they might lean towards Monroe and his higher peak.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #17
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Damnit, this reminds me of how much I hate the fact that the top team announces it's pick 4 days or so before the thing actually starts.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
This would be a good move for the Lions. I have Stafford 11th on my big board, based mostly on physical talent and potential. Taking him #1 would be a mistake.

I'm not sure that Smith is the LT I would go with though. I have him and Monroe rated very close together, with Smith being more NFL ready now, and Monroe having more potential. I could see them going either way, but since they're not going to be winning any time in the near future they might lean towards Monroe and his higher peak.
That is the opposite of what I have seen in many places.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think Detroit should go with LT and then trade up with a certain team to get the #15 selection for a QB. I got plans for #20 and additional picks.
Old 03-23-2009   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does everyone consider Jason Smith the best LT in this class? Is it because all the internet sites have him above the others? I'm only asking because I'd love to hear people's views on him and the other LTs. I think LT could be a great way for Detroit to go, but which one?

From what I gather, Smith is a good pass blocker. Is he the best of the bunch? After all pass blocking IS the most important part of that position, so it makes sense.

What was he asked to do at Baylor? I watched zero games. Is their offense kind of a spread offense? How will this translate to the pros? What about his run blocking? I think a #1 pick should be a pretty well rounded kind of guy. Like Mario- great at pass rushing and run stopping. Rare for a #1 DE to be strictly a pass rusher.

I'd really like to know because I feel like everyone is just assuming he's the #1 LT. But more importantly, is we have to look at Detroit's offense and what they do. Would he be a good fit in that offense? You gotta look at who the top LT would be on Detroit's draft board.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read