Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-19-2005   #21
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

you are confusing production in the slot with numbers a number 2 receiver should get. they are very different.

pitts has taken very offensive snap. he started at LT the first year and didnt work out too great. but last season he stepped up and performed good. this season he is again at a new position. i again see him stepping up next season along with a firm grasp of the blocking scheme.

have you seen wells play?

...what has the world come to?
Old 01-19-2005   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44115 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

one of the main issues is that the Texans should have had great drafts based solely on position in the draft & with a experienced team of Casserly calling the shots. i mean why wouldn't you get the top prospect if you got to draft the #1 player, agian and again and again. there is more pressure at the top of the draft in terms as it applies those at the bottom. translation=average
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 139472 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that the Steelers and Pats had good drafts is even more unusual because they pick at the bottom normally.
Pitts is average so far .Gaffney is ok.Wells did ok.If they would like to move up to a B they need Joppru and Hollings to stay healthy and perform like 2nd rounders.
To get an A they would have four solid starters from the first year and 3 the next two.Now define solid.Better than average to pro bowl.Not OK.
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 131726 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to see any of you guys giving us grades at C or below in draft grades for our history, predicting 9-7 or 10-6 next year. No way we can draft as poorly as you all have clamied and be over .500

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 139472 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we were an A or B we would have been 9-7 this year.
Old 01-19-2005   #26
SESupergenius

So then by your analogy with a score of B++ we should have made the playoff this year with that kind of a grade. Not.
Old 01-19-2005   #27
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

you cant predict a season above .500 by grading your draft with an A or B.

and you also cant expect the team to get that far while criticizing them saying the picks were sub-par.

i just dont see how you can call a player like wells and pitts "ok" but thats your opinion. i would rather see wells as a backup to DD.

lets grade hollings and joppru when their time comes, i thought we were focusing on the 2002 draft?
Old 01-20-2005   #28
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

First round we did the best we could getting the best QB in the draft and giving him time to learn the position, so that when he matures, the team around him will be complete. getting a skill player would have us having a malcontent right about now thinking about leaving or otherwise.

Second round, we passed on some names at running back, and Randel-El picked much later has been a much better more dynamic slot reciever than Gaffney. Pitts will be alot better next year his second at his natural position with Wand more comfortable.

I mean so far, 2002 has not been a draft that has produced alot of names, some of the more successful players to come out have been Miami players, especially in later rounds, G Martin Bibila (Falcons) is a better pick than Weary, and Najeh Davenport might have been better than Wells.

Still, the most important pick in every draft is the first rounder so far it seems we are 4-4 in the first round.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #29
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

We were 7-9 .It does not take much imagination to find two more wins with better players. Taking Portis over Pitts would have changed things.We would not have picked Hollings .We would have picked DD as a returner like we did.Now we have a high second last year.Somewhere along the way We could have used the three thirds spent on Weary and Hill and Ragone better.Then you start Peek.Done 9-7 .I guess that makes me extremely super genuis the 1st.

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-20-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2005   #30
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Portis was a product of the Denver system... c'mon, if he was 3.8 YPC in DC, he'd be 2.9 in Houston given our oline.... the boy doesn't even catch either, something that ranks DD higher due to the oline....

Heck, DD gets an excuse to have a 3.9 YPC with his early season injuries! What's Portis's excuse? That he's just as good as Olandis Gary?

Also, if we had skipped over Pitts, who would be his replacement? Gotta be some random stud we pick off the streets, right? Doubtful.

C'mon, regarding the drafting of our current starters, you can't say this and that without filling in the blank spots you create.

edit: We ARE a 9-7 team with what we have. If you take away our dumb mistakes, we are a 12-4 team.

Last edited by gg no re; 01-20-2005 at 02:20 PM.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #31
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I think looking at the targeted position for each pick, and see if we got the best player left on the board.

Round 1, QB.... Carr is better than Harrington and Ramsey at this point in his career, thus we got the best player available at chosen position.

Round 2, WR... I think Antwan Randel-el has been a better reciever that was picked after Gaffney, but with the Steelers having experience with Kordell, and already having wideouts in Burress and Ward, they could take a chance on a QB turned WR. Gaffney was a safer pick at the time, but Randel El has achieved more up until this point.

Round 2 G.... No interior lineman drafted after Pitts has made a probowl, and pitts has not missed a snap, so can't complain here.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #32
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Portis is somewhere between Denver and Wash.He is alot faster than DD.You could have had them both.Pitts is a guy who plays every down on a bad line.For 3 years now wow.
I don't think Carr could have been sacked many more times no matter whos on the line.They broke an NFL record you know.Thank God for Pitts.
Old 01-20-2005   #33
SESupergenius

that's apples and oranges. You are comparing players at positions for positions. The draft could have been a whole lot different if other players at other positions were picked. Like instead of Carr we drafted Peppers and this year we drafted Rothlesberger. There are just way too many combinations to the draft that you really can't compare the draft that way.

Last edited by SESupergenius; 01-20-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2005   #34
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

I believe its taking the obvious.Pitts reviews were just OK before the draft so I thought that was a reach for a second.At least Wand was a low third but a reach.Hollings was a reach for a second.I guess if Pitts was a mauler and Hollings was Portis jr.they would be a B+ and look better.The good news is it can still happen.

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-20-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2005   #35
SESupergenius

Is it too early to grade this years draft? This thread will need to opened up again when we are ready to do that, but it is interesting to read looking back.
Old 12-06-2005   #36
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

I started a similar thread about a month ago... here's the post and link:
grade our 2003 rookies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most people seem to agree that it takes 3 years of NFL expierence for players to be acuratley evaluated. I decided to take a look at our 2003 draft class and give my two cents on it.

Pick 1 - Andre Johnson - This pick was a nobrainer. Even though he's been injured a lot this season I'm sure everyone agrees that he's one of, if not the best player on this team. Grade - A+

Pick 2 - Bennie Joppru - No comment. Grade - N/A

Pick 3 - Antwan Peek - Made big plays when he saw the field his first two season. This year he is starting but hasnt shown the same fire he played with during year 1 and 2. Grade - B-

Pick 4 - Seth Wand - Started last year at left tackle. Rides the bench this year. A third round offensive lineman should be starting in the NFL by year three. Grade - F

Pick 5 - Dave Ragone - I was not impressed when I saw him take the field for the few snaps he's seen. He did win NFL Europe MVP but that means squat here in the real NFL. He's the backup to our backup. Grade - D

Pick 6 - Domanick Davis - One of the best picks made in franchise history. He was drafted to be a third down back and quickly turned himself into an everydown back. He doesnt have break away speed but he is one of the most consistant players on the team. Should be a probowler IMO. Grade - A+

Pick 7 - Drew Henson - This was a very smart pick. He was drafted as trade bait. Many NFL experts and Texans fans were goin nutts when the Texans took 2 QB's in this years draft but it ended up working out. We ended up trading Henson to Dallas for their 3rd round pick in the 2005 draft. With that pick the Texans selected Vernand Morancy. Grade - A

Pick 8 - Keith Wright - He was selected to add depth to our defensive line. He's no longer in the NFL. Sixth and Seventh round picks are always iffy. Grade - D-

Pick 9 - Corry Burns - Selected to add depth to our secondary. Played strong saftey and is no longer in the NFL. Grade - D-

Pick 10 - Chance Pearce - Deep Snapper. On the Steelers roster. I guess since he is the only late round pick of ours that is still in the NFL he's doing something right. Grade - C

Overall - C. C is average and I guess in college must of us were alright with a C. However when playing football average was and never will be alright. We made some nice selections but some horrible later round picks. I'm sure most of the people on this board wont agree with every grade so lets see some other thoughts.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=14100
Old 12-06-2005   #37
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I'm going to give them an A- on drafting and an F on development. My point is I believe we have drafted some real talent, but we have failed to develop it or given up on it. We should have a number 2 receiver right now, but we really don't. Gaffny, Armstrong and Mathis should be opposite of AJ all the time and not Bradford. I think most would call Gaffny our number 2, but is he really that. So much of what you grade the draft on dpends upon the players output after having been drafted. Probably the most outstanding has been DROB, but the rest of the players have been marginalized by the coaching staff. As Vinny, I would give a higher grade, but for a different reason. I think we truely have far more talent that people think. But you will never see it as long as you have the current set of coaches.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read