Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2009   #1
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans interested in S - Roy Williams????

From Espn Insider

After apparently rejecting one team's offer already, free agent safety Roy L. Williams will be visiting with the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, according to the Dallas Morning News. Williams' agent, Jordan Woy, indicates that two additional visits are on deck, but did not inform the paper of those two teams.
The Bengals could be a great fit for Williams for several reasons, including the fact that current Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was the Dallas Cowboys' defensive coordinator from 2000 through 2006, the time that Williams blossomed from the team's first-round draft pick to a perennial Pro Bowler. Additionally, the Bengals had issues defending the run in 2008, finishing the season ranked 21st in the league, allowing 120.1 yards per game, and Williams is certainly an asset as an adept tackler in the box. The team also released strong safety Dexter Jackson, so Williams would compete just with Chinedum Ndukwe, Marvin White and Chris Crocker for playing time. In Marvin Lewis' defense, there is not as strict a division between free safety and strong safety, so both players have similar duties.

The Oakland Raiders are believed to be one of the other teams fishing for Williams, as they lost 2008 starter Gibril Wilson to free agency, and were one of the league's most porous defenses against the run. The Houston Texans are also believed to be in the hunt, as strong safety continues to be a glaring need on their roster. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have the cap space to sign Roy, but the Tampa 2 defense requires the safeties to be excellent in pass coverage, which is a shortcoming of Williams' game, to put it kindly.

(mode note from ESPN insider)

Last edited by texanfan2002114; 03-20-2009 at 10:47 PM.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in S - Roy Williams????

Didn't we already cut Glenn Earl? How are you going to cut him and bring in Roy Williams?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #3
Texans#1Fan
Rookie

Okay, I do not believe williams is the answer the Texans need. We need a safety who can defend against the run and pass. The Texans sure have not had a decent safety ever since we started in the league. They have confidence in Barber, but I don't know how he is going to do. They really haven't played this guy enough to get the experience needed. I think the Texans could use someone in the depth, but we should really look into the draft to get a defensive back. Hopefully Barber can get on track and win the starting role to see how he is going to do and for the future.
Texans#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Why in the hell would we do something like this? I swear if we get one more Cowboys cast off I will literally go nuts.

I doubt this would be to serious though. Anything more than league minimum for Roy Williams at this point would be to much. He clearly can't defend in coverage and is not near the smash artist he was when he first came into the league. The Cowboys clearly got screwed and bamboozled by the guy because he was really good when he first got there and then turned into pumpkin after that fat contract. Don't want any part of this guy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #5
Dapper
Veteran

Rep Power: 33 Dapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respected

If here is there @ 15 I don't see how we can pass on Malcom Jenkins. Could be insurance for next year with d-rob's situation
Old 03-20-2009   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

If he's willing to come in for the right price, and play a situational / backup role, then I'm ok with it. If he thinks he's a starter then I'll pass.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #7
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a non-story. The writer is putting two and two together without thinking. Roy Williams is a SS, the Texans need a SS, therefore, acording to the writer, we could be interested. It means nothing.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2009   #8
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

texanfan, where's the source of this? I can't find it on PFT, National Football Post, etc.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
After apparently rejecting one team's offer already, free agent safety Roy L. Williams will be visiting with the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, according to the Dallas Morning News. Williams' agent, Jordan Woy, indicates that two additional visits are on deck, but did not inform the paper of those two teams.
The Bengals could be a great fit for Williams for several reasons, including the fact that current Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was the Dallas Cowboys' defensive coordinator from 2000 through 2006, the time that Williams blossomed from the team's first-round draft pick to a perennial Pro Bowler. Additionally, the Bengals had issues defending the run in 2008, finishing the season ranked 21st in the league, allowing 120.1 yards per game, and Williams is certainly an asset as an adept tackler in the box. The team also released strong safety Dexter Jackson, so Williams would compete just with Chinedum Ndukwe, Marvin White and Chris Crocker for playing time. In Marvin Lewis' defense, there is not as strict a division between free safety and strong safety, so both players have similar duties.

The Oakland Raiders are believed to be one of the other teams fishing for Williams, as they lost 2008 starter Gibril Wilson to free agency, and were one of the league's most porous defenses against the run. The Houston Texans are also believed to be in the hunt, as strong safety continues to be a glaring need on their roster. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have the cap space to sign Roy, but the Tampa 2 defense requires the safeties to be excellent in pass coverage, which is a shortcoming of Williams' game, to put it kindly.
Give either the URL or site on this, as did not see anything from Dallasnews.com when I went there.

On the idea: Roy Williams is a player that has to be used in very specific ways to be successful. If he is allowed to either attack or roam w/o minimal coverage responsibilities, he can still provide a physical presence and make plays. For him to work the defensive coordinator is going have to be creative. Not a complete player, but one in the correcrt system can matter.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #10
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

I ask the mods not to take this link down. I found this article on espn insider. I have never posted fake information and I thought that I wouldn't have to provide a link but I guess my word wasn't good enough.

The reason why I didn't provide the link was because the mods pull the links if the info was pulled of the espn insiders site.

So anybody else with espn insider ability can confirm that I got this info from the rumors link, I would be very thankful.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I ask the mods not to take this link down. I found this article on espn insider. I have never posted fake information and I thought that I wouldn't have to provide a link but I guess my word wasn't good enough.

The reason why I didn't provide the link was because the mods pull the links if the info was pulled of the espn insiders site.

So anybody else with espn insider ability can confirm that I got this info from the rumors link, I would be very thankful.
Well I heard about this, this morning on the sports radio show and was petty surprised. I know that you're not making this up out of thin air. I doubt we ever sign this guy though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just need to have a note that it is from ESPN insider, not looking to close it.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #13
Ckw

I just confirmed it. I am an ESPN Insider, and it does mention the Texans as a possible destination.
Old 03-21-2009   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
If he's willing to come in for the right price, and play a situational / backup role, then I'm ok with it. If he thinks he's a starter then I'll pass.
You're kidding correct ? Y'all went ballistic over Petie giving up big plays. This guy can't cover....so unless you're bringing him as a will canidate....waisted time space and money....no matter how low you're paying him. You take this guy gotta cut someone in September....who's that going to be ?

ESPN guys guessing what the Texans are going to do because they don't cover us during the season. Either Kubiak is lying or they really do like the Safeties they have. The cowboys let him walk for a reason...his money was way too high for what he brought to the table...a one demnsional enforcer who's greatest and best tool was outlawed by the league. the horse collar tackle.

And what I get so far this off season....is no one is going to over pay for some one they already know can not upgrade the roster....not just the Texans...everyone.
Old 03-21-2009   #15
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather start Barber...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #16
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
You're kidding correct ? Y'all went ballistic over Petie giving up big plays. This guy can't cover....so unless you're bringing him as a will canidate....waisted time space and money....no matter how low you're paying him. You take this guy gotta cut someone in September....who's that going to be ?

ESPN guys guessing what the Texans are going to do because they don't cover us during the season. Either Kubiak is lying or they really do like the Safeties they have. The cowboys let him walk for a reason...his money was way too high for what he brought to the table...a one demnsional enforcer who's greatest and best tool was outlawed by the league. the horse collar tackle.

And what I get so far this off season....is no one is going to over pay for some one they already know can not upgrade the roster....not just the Texans...everyone.
Which is why I said I'd only be interested in him as a situational or backup player, with a salary commensurate with that role.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Which is why I said I'd only be interested in him as a situational or backup player, with a salary commensurate with that role.

And what I posted was a simple question....who ya gonna cut in September to keep him ? And as always with you ....I'm still waiting. My point is there isn't a bottom low enough for the guy to bring in and waiste our time bringing him in. He cannot cover. Just another dog under the porch who can not hunt. I believe the roster is good enough now we don't need to do this any more.
Old 03-21-2009   #18
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Your word is definitely good enough for me bro, without a doubt.
Old 03-21-2009   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Williams was a tweener SS/LB coming into the pros who went the wrong way, playing as a safety instead of LB. If the Texans are really interested in Williams I hope it's at the position he should have been playing all along ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #20
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we want someone to stay back there and get burned deep all day, we can just put Faggins at Safety
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read