Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2005   #1
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default What needs more work?

Does our pass rush need more improvements from changes of personel or the blockers for the run and pass game.

I see very little change on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe (hopefully) a new center. I think having a versatile tight end that at can be that dual threat will help more than uprooting the offensive line.

On the defensive side, the nose tackle position will almost certainly be re-evaluated, with Seth Payne having another injury he will either come with a 1 year cheap deal, or other free agents will be pursued. I think Wong could be moved inside to take Foreman's spot, or basically any linebacker not named Babin or Sharper could have a tenous job. Robaire Smith is entrenched and Walker is bound to his contract extension.

What it all boils down to is that the only realy position to expect a player to compete for a starting job in 2005 will be Center, NT on the 2 lines.

Reports from ESPN say that we will look for a WR in free agency to better compliment Andre Johnson. Might as well be the writing on the wall for Bradford.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #2
Tayton
Veteran

Agree with your assessment, just a few other comments. I feel our defense played much better after Foreman and Coleman went down and feel we need to fill there positions either internally or externally. Also would love to see more of Armstrong, Any insight as too why he did not play more? I also think an upgrade at return man might be in order. I know that they are trying to protect Hollings but, at this point, a return man might be his only way to contribute.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

There were some games where we had to make room on our roster and Armstrong would be the guy they would make the room with. I believe you are right in thinking an upgrade at return man is in order but I wouldn't be mad if they didn't make the change because Moses still has the ability to break one and gave us some real good field position throughout the season. If he doesn't get shoe string tackled by the kicker against Detroit, he scores and we possibly end up winning that game. I don't think Hollings would be the answer for us at any position.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #4
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayton
Agree with your assessment, just a few other comments. I feel our defense played much better after Foreman and Coleman went down and feel we need to fill there positions either internally or externally. Also would love to see more of Armstrong, Any insight as too why he did not play more? I also think an upgrade at return man might be in order. I know that they are trying to protect Hollings but, at this point, a return man might be his only way to contribute.
I think the fact that the D started playing better once these two guys went down was simply a coincidence. It was the end of the year with three rookies on the squad and they were finally starting to adjust. The backups at FS and MLB held their own, but i dont think that is why the D got better.
Old 01-18-2005   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think with their first pick if there is a good prospect on the OL or DL pick him. If there is a great pick at LB or Corner pick him.If not trade down if you think you can get a good OL or DL later on.
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #6
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 18 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

Reports from ESPN say that we will look for a WR in free agency to better compliment Andre Johnson. Might as well be the writing on the wall for Bradford.[/quote]

I agree. It's been looking that way since mid-season. I sure do have some good memories from the first two seasons though.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It's no secret we want pure speed on the outside in this style offense we run. We are set at receiver in two of the three positions with AJ as the primary and Gaffney and Armstrong in the slot. We could use another super speed guy on the outside in our vertical passing game to replace Bradford and his speed. We have to have a WR who can block too. It will be interesting to see if we bring someone in or think that Starling can develop fast enough.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2005   #8
NoBullTexan
Veteran

I think they will try to see if Starling can be the man, but I also think they will hedge their bet with a FA WR.

It is strange, but we have tried through the Draft, or through FA to shore up the offensive tackles and guards, but have really not tried to do something a offensive center. McKinney, in my view, ain't gonna be gettin any better any time soon. So I think we will try to significantly upgrade in an early round of the Draft, (2nd or 3rd rnd.)
Old 01-18-2005   #9
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

Yeah whatever happened to Starling? He was so great and looked good for an undrafted rookie FA, but after that I saw little of him. He did make the 53 man rooster which is good, but the only PT he got was on special teams. I thought we might see him toward the end of the season, with the games really meaning nothing but, I guess not.

I don't think Armstrong can step in and be our #2. He still needs some work and really hasn't been given the chance to.......if you know what I mean.......not enough balls thrown his way to see really what he can do ect. I think it is our best option 2 go out in FA and get a receiver, and let Armstrong battle for and win that position. Make him fight for it and make him always know there is somebody behind him to take his place, and he will give us his best every game.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #10
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn
Default Te!!

I really like the looks of Starling, he could be our future return man, Armstrong is a definite keeper, I think they should look for a good solid TE, Miller was a HUGE dissappoinment this season, Bruener is an ok blocker at best, very slow and poor hands....Carr is missing that safety net in a good solid TE
HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #11
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreTxn
Miller was a HUGE dissappoinment this season,
I don't think you can call Miller a HUGE dissapointment this season. Sure his numbers were nowhere near where they have been in the past. But lets be honest, how many games can you even remember him getting a ball thrown his way. The only thing i think you can rightfully blame Miller for is not being as great a blocker as he is a catcher. When the ball was thrown his way (not often) he made the catch.
Old 01-25-2005   #12
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreTxn
I really like the looks of Starling, he could be our future return man, Armstrong is a definite keeper, I think they should look for a good solid TE, Miller was a HUGE dissappoinment this season, Bruener is an ok blocker at best, very slow and poor hands....Carr is missing that safety net in a good solid TE
ok blocker, very slow & poor hands- sounds like an offensive lineman. I keep asking everyone, John Harris, Pallilo, Zerline, etc. Instead of having a blocking tight end that can't catch why not just use a big old tackle type to slow the defense a little? Even a 265 pound fullback can do as well even if we had one.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #13
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
ok blocker, very slow & poor hands- sounds like an offensive lineman. I keep asking everyone, John Harris, Pallilo, Zerline, etc. Instead of having a blocking tight end that can't catch why not just use a big old tackle type to slow the defense a little? Even a 265 pound fullback can do as well even if we had one.

actually a good idea, plus we dont use our tight ends much anyways.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #14
THEFUTURE
All Pro

the only problem with that is, we already have a problem putting a good OL out normally, then we would have to go use another poor OLmen in place of a TE... Bruener is probably better then anyone else we could put out there
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #15
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah but that means we'd have like 6 men blocking 4 defenders, instead of having the go out for passes the TEs never get !
Old 01-25-2005   #16
THEFUTURE
All Pro

as it is, the Tight end dont go out much anyways... bruener is usually always in just to block.. which is why we brought him in, cuz miller couldnt... i just pray joppru can finally be healthy... i really think he might be our solution
Old 01-25-2005   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is'nt Babin heavy for a LB . I also thought he's over 400 on the bench press. He has to get to the point where he's reacting instead of thinking. He'll be fine.
I agree that the middle of the OL better eat their wheaties.
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #18
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

na i dont think babin needs to put on MUCH more muscle, he just needs to use his hands a little more and quit spinning in circles hoping he'll some how get around the OLmen !
Old 01-26-2005   #19
THEFUTURE
All Pro

i personally love the emotion of peek... he gets everyone around him juiced, the team and the fans... he is that spark a defense needs, who doesnt want a player that gives 150% every time he is on the field
Old 01-26-2005   #20
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

and starts a fight after every play i love it. I have never seen him out there where he's not pushing someone around and getting in their face, PURE emotion !

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read