Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: who'll breakout in 2009?
Matt Schaub 33 36.26%
David Andersen 1 1.10%
Duane Brown 6 6.59%
Antonio Smith 0 0%
Deljuan Robinson 1 1.10%
Amobi Okoye 30 32.97%
Zac Diles 2 2.20%
Xavier Adibi 12 13.19%
Dominique Barber 2 2.20%
Fred Bennett 4 4.40%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2009   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Breakout players in '09

Stole this thread from another board & a texans player was mentioned.

Guess who it was and feel free to add your own candidates.

Might as well stick up a poll too.. add anybody who's not on the poll list either (like jacques reeves- hes great)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breakout players in '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
Stole this thread from another board & a texans player was mentioned.

Guess who it was and feel free to add your own candidates.

Might as well stick up a poll too.. add anybody who's not on the poll list either (like jacques reeves- hes great)
You didn't vote in your own poll, Bro.

Anywho, I'm not sure an Olineman can have a noticable "Breakout" year, but I choose D. Brown. Hopefully he's dropped a few lbs and will be a bit quicker with his kick slide against speed rushers.
Old 03-19-2009   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
You didn't vote in your own poll, Bro.

Anywho, I'm not sure an Olineman can have a noticable "Breakout" year, but I choose D. Brown. Hopefully he's dropped a few lbs and will be a bit quicker with his kick slide against speed rushers.
Brown is my choice also of those listed. Schaub will have good year but he had one last year imo. To me Brown really fits this offense and another year will make him even better. Some thing to ponder; will not having Salaam behind him help? I say yes as it is Brown's position in Brown's mind this year. Also, I think an addition to RB corps will take more heat off everyone especially Brown.

If we get a RB like Jennings or Peerman, that person should have a very good season also.
Old 03-19-2009   #4
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hard on Amobi last year because of his prediction of 14 sacks and he had a hard time making tackles much less getting sacks. I was especially pissed when fat or slow Qbs kept running past him for first downs. However this year I think with addition of Smith and the emergence of Bulman it will enable him to be single covered and create pressure up the Middle. I hope so because Amobi is an example of everything right in sports. I hope his sophomore slump is busted and he makes a differance this year.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #5
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

This one's easy... Matt Schaub.

He's one injury free season away from being a top 5 qb. If the line protects, our running attack improves, and AJ stays healthy I see no reason he shouldn't get his 1st Pro Bowl invite. He better be taking his vitamins this offseason.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

the player mentioned in the original thread was (pretty surprisingly- given its an nfl board and a bears fan posted it)..... Deljuan Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
In the pre draft/free agency stuff I think 2008 is often very quickly forgotten and personally I think right after the season is the perfect time, before everyone forgets, to think of guys who are role players or in the shadows already on their teams who could step up in 2009 and have big seasons making names for themselves like guys such as Lance Moore, Deangelo Williams, LaMarr Woodley have...

Some guys I reckon have chance at having good seasons in 2009 based off what I saw are:

Lawrence Timmons - Pittsburgh - I know he has great people around him and is behind Foote and Farrior right now, bu I think he was mighty impressive whenever I saw him 2009 might be his year to displace Foote or Farrior.

Jason Avant - Philly - Avant has never really claimed a starting spot in Philly nut I was really impressed by him towards the end of the season I reckon he could have a good year with a lot of attention heading towards Desean Jackson.

Deljuan Robinson - Houston - He didn't start I don't think. But in the couple of Houston games I saw I thought he did a good job, better than Travis Johnson, and with all the talent on the houston d-line I think Robinson could have a very big year, we might be calling it the best d-line in football this time next year.

Sabby Pisticelli - Tampa - He has looked good for a while now stuck behind the great pairing of Phiilips and Jackson. The Bucs let Phiilps test the market before bringing him back and I think Pisticelli is why. I heard they are looking a Phillips moving to LB so I think he could have big year in 2009.
Old 03-19-2009   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
This one's easy... Matt Schaub.

He's one injury free season away from being a top 5 qb. If the line protects, our running attack improves, and AJ stays healthy I see no reason he shouldn't get his 1st Pro Bowl invite. He better be taking his vitamins this offseason.
yep pretty much my response

Quote:
props.. not many would notice an unheralded DT although he really played exceptional late on in the season (especially v the titans and bears) as he gained more and more snaps. hes going to be a big part on our rotation this yr.

another guy i think that could break out on our D is Xavier Adibi.. just a really athletic, smart & tough LB. health is the only reason he didnt start early last yr. when he finally got healthy (and got greenwood out of there), our D improved greatly. hes slated to start at WLB. i think he does very well there once he stays healthy.

same goes for schaub. if he stays healthy, i think he'll be there on the fringe of top 5 qb discussions. really finished the season strong and now he'll be 100%. we dont play the vikes this yr so that drunk ******** Allen cant go after his knee so he should be ok
is it noticeable that im bitter towards jared allen?
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2009   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Choosing someone from the list I think that Schaub, barring injury, will light it up this year. Someone not from the list would be Reeves, I have a feeling he'll be special this year.
Old 03-19-2009   #9
Polo

Okoye and Molden
Old 03-19-2009   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

My two favorites on this list were Schaub and Okoye, but I voted for Schaub. I'd just love it if our D-line as a whole just tears the league up this year, and Okoye would have to have a good year for that to happen.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #11
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Okoye and Molden
second that
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
second that
ditto
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Okoye and Molden
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
second that
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
ditto
i dont know.. whatever about amobi coming good, i think its a much longer shot for molden. iirc, his injury is pretty serious and they're not certain he'll recover fully like they are with diles. i think he's supposed to be out til TC too. that coupled with the fact he got little to no PT last yr means he wont do much this yr either imo. bennett is alot more likely to be the cb that (re)breaks out by rediscovering his rookie form partnered beside dunta
Old 03-19-2009   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i dont know.. whatever about amobi coming good, i think its a much longer shot for molden. iirc, his injury is pretty serious and they're not certain he'll recover fully like they are with diles. i think he's supposed to be out til TC too. that coupled with the fact he got little to no PT last yr means he wont do much this yr either imo. bennett is alot more likely to be the cb that (re)breaks out by rediscovering his rookie form partnered beside dunta
Where did you get this about the severity of Molden's injury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubiak
Molden fractured his left ankle on a special teams play against the Titans on Dec. 14. A third-round draft pick out of Eastern Kentucky, he had seen limited action on defense but was an impact special teams player, recording 19 tackles and a fumble recovery.

I think the disappointing thing with him is that we were starting to play him (at corner) when he did get hurt, Kubiak said. So he missed out on some valuable playing time, but hes a smart young man. Hes a smart worker. Hes a hard worker.

The injury he has, players have come back from and ended up playing a long, long time. So, I dont have any doubt hell handle his business.
From ht.com.

Diles was injured much earlier in the season so I can see him being ready sooner.
Old 03-19-2009   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Okoye. I hope with Kollar and Bush we'll see a different philosophy from the "read and react" line crap of Richard Smith. Okoye has great inital burst and he should be using that disrupt his gap and get to the qb fast.

I think there's a few guys that IF healthy can have breakout years at multiple spots though.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #16
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Comes down to Schaub or Okoye to be "breakout players" imo. I chose Schaub because he has been able to put several good games together. All he has to do now is play a full season at the level he plays at when he's healthy and he'll be in the talks regarding the top QBs not named Manning or Brady.

Okoye however is still very young and is playing a position that has a long transition period. I hope he does very well this season, but odds are Schaub is the better pick for breakout player.
Old 03-19-2009   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Dominique Barber is going to be the talk of camp and will play well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown.

Your 1st Round pick better make a big leap in year two.

Hit the track, donut boy!
Old 03-19-2009   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Haha, so much expectation for Okoye!

And nobody expects TJ to do anything anymore?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #20
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

IMO, Schaub having a breakout year means Duane Brown and co. are having a breakout year and are protecting his a$$. They both go hand in hand.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read