Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-27-2009   #421
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Member Mock Rounds 4-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I believe they also signed Nate Washington from the Steelers.

Good job on the 4th round guys. Here is the list in case anyone wants to look.

Whats the deal with round 5? I may have missed where yall decided to stop or keep going.
Let's make sure we do not delete the two draft threads. It would be nice to have a historical record.
Old 03-27-2009   #422
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, if yall decide to continue the 5th round the Detroit Lions Select:

Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State

The Lions Have Kevin Smith who will be the starter, signed backup Maurice Morris in FA, but will need another running back. I was eying Peerman in the 6th round, but decided to pull the trigger on Ringer when he fell this far. According to his pro day he wowed NFL scouts and caught the ball very well.

Detroit Lions Draft:
R1: QB Stafford
R1: LT Britton
R2: DE Johnson
R3: TE Nelson
R3: ILB Beckwith
R5: RB Ringer

The Lions still have 2 selections in the 6th round to beef up the defense.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #423
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Let's make sure we do not delete the two draft threads. It would be nice to have a historical record.
Word.
Old 03-27-2009   #424
Blake
MMQB

Did yall decided to include comp picks or no?
Old 03-27-2009   #425
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe the general concensus was NOT to include compensatory picks, but to include them in the next and final mock we do.

If people want to keep this mock going, I don't see any reason to stop. Those that don't want to participate could let everyone know and group picking could take over. Having the Steelers, I feel like I can just kick back and relax cuz I pick last

Again, I'd like to reiterate how much deeper this draft class is than I initially thought. From a Texans standpoint, I think we'll be able to find some really good players throughout the draft.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #426
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 249951 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I was under the impression we were going to stop this mock here. And then after a brief re-charging of the batteries, go for a 7 round mock with the compensatory picks.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to go forward making picks with things out of order.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #427
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I was under the impression we were going to stop this mock here. And then after a brief re-charging of the batteries, go for a 7 round mock with the compensatory picks.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to go forward making picks with things out of order.
That's my feeling as well, but i thought there was a lot that felt differently from me. I'm just along for the ride.

Having the Steelers, who pick last in each round, I'm just kind of unattached to the mock and am not really following it closely. Just looking to see when it's my pick and trying to plug one of their few holes. So I'll do whatever the general concensus is.

I think this mock went pretty smoothly for the most part though and everyone gave it their best. With the next mock, I'd like for us to have some time to get to know our new team fairly well. Do more research on these teams wants/needs and players they're contacting. We're getting into the time where we "know" a little more of what these teams are thinking (yea right), how the prospects are starting to fall and what the team has done in Free Agency.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2009   #428
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85187 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will make a pick just on the presumption that we are continuting with the mock.

With the 2nd pick in the 5th round the St. Louis Rams select . . .

SS Emanuel Cook, South Carolina

The Rams resigned Oshiomogho Atogwe at FS, but they still have a glaring need at SS because Corey Chavous is 33 yrs old and they have no capable backup. Cook is a prospect who was projected into the 4th round range so I feel pretty good about grabbing him in the 5th round.

There are questions about his work ethic because of his grades and his poor academic standing near the end of his college career, but his dedication to playing football is not in question.

St. Louis Rams Draft:
1 - T Jason Smith, Baylor
2 - CB D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt
3 - QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State
4 - RB Rashad Jennings, Liberty
5 - SS Emmanuel Cook, South Carolina

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #429
Blake
MMQB

If we are done, then I guess we can talk about what good players are left. Who will be there for the Texans and such.

I was surprised that Ringer was still available. Dannell Ellerbe. Roy Miller.
Old 03-27-2009   #430
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Fifth round
129 Seattle (from Detroit) - Kyle Bell, RB Colorado State
130 St. Louis - Emanuel Cook, SS South Carolina
131 Kansas City - Roy Miller, DT/NT UT
132 Denver (from Seattle) - Henry Melton, DE UT
133 Philadelphia (from Cleveland)
134 Cincinnati
135 Atlanta (from Oakland)
136 Jacksonville
137 Green Bay
138 San Francisco
139 Buffalo
140 San Diego
141 Denver
142 Washington
143 New York Giants (from New Orleans)
144 Houston
145 Philadelphia (from NY Jets)
146 Chicago
147 Tampa Bay
148 Dallas
149 Philadelphia
150 Minnesota
151 Philadelphia (from New England)
152 Atlanta
153 Miami
154 Baltimore
155 Carolina
156 New York Giants
157 Indianapolis
158 Dallas (from Tennessee)
159 Arizona
160 Pittsburgh

Last edited by beerlover; 03-28-2009 at 10:33 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #431
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

yes originally this was set-up as a 3 rd. mock without trades, my bad. the appeitite for more is now being documented as I type, this is a good thing for those so inclined & provides an educational tool for everybody who cares about the draft/NFL, that is the purpose afterall. I say keep it simple, keep on track (no trades or compenestory picks) so every team has equal opportunity to address their needs keeping established real trades as noted in draft order. it doesnt matter to me if you pick last in the round or not, beleive me its a real pain in the ass to follow Ole Miss who really knows how to make excellent picks, before it rolls over into the wanna be's @ the bottom of each round in the selection order. He drives home why the good teams reamain the good teams, they just know who the football players on & rarely miss, like at least on a couple occasions taking the player @ the top of my board. The last three rounds should go much slower without the particapation, maybe a consenesus of two memebers would help speed things up? Anyway with that said KC is on the clock-

131 KC Cheifs select - Roy Miller, NT UT 6-1 312

Ascending player has the tools, size & expereince to start in the NFL as the Chiefs new 3-4 NT. Had excellent Pro-Day showing scouts he could carry more weight on his stocky frame (excellent low center of gravity for position) yet still not lose any explosiveness or speed 4.93/4.94 both much quicker than #1 NT prospect B.J. Raji. This enables Dorsey to play the LDE/LDT in the 3-4 with Aaron Curry coming from the OLB position. Roy has high character/work ethic
Quote:
"My dad taught me how to be a man and to always work hard," Miller said. "He also taught me that there would be days where you don't want to do anything like go to work, school or practice, but you have to keep on going. I also remember nights where our family would eat dinner on an ironing board".
All-Big 12 Conference First Team, played @ a high level in a major program gaining valueable expereince so should be ready to step in as a rookie & make immediate impact. Roy was also defensive MVP in Texas' victory over Ohio State in the 2009 Fiesta Bowl (2.5 tackles, one TFL, one sack) backed it up in East-West Shrine Game.
Old 03-27-2009   #432
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Fifth round
129 Seattle (from Detroit)
130 St. Louis
131 Kansas City
132 Denver (from Seattle)
133 Philadelphia (from Cleveland)
134 Cincinnati
136 Jacksonville
137 Green Bay
138 San Francisco
139 Buffalo
140 San Diego
141 Denver
142 Washington
144 Houston
146 Chicago
147 Tampa Bay
148 Dallas
149 Philadelphia
150 Minnesota
152 Atlanta
153 Miami
154 Baltimore
155 Carolina
156 New York Giants
157 Indianapolis
159 Arizona
160 Pittsburgh
How did Seattle get Detroit's fifth rounder?
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #433
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade for Julian Peterson, I believe.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #434
beerlover
Site Contributor

Julian Peterson was acquired in a trade with Seattle for DT Cory Redding and a fifth-round draft pick.

129th pick belongs to Seattle. any suggestions? so far -
  1. Eugene Monore, OT
  2. Sean Smith, CB/S
  3. Andy Kevitre, OG
  4. Demetrius Byrd

Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett are scheduled to share the load this season, but the Seahawks could still use a more explosive alternative here. Seattle has always struck me as a team a little off center, they always make some surprising picks if it where me I'd take a long hard look at Colorado State RB Kyle Bell, 6-0 233. big bruising back, strong (29 reps) with excellent speed (4.54) suffered acl (06) now fully recovered. Very similar back in style & size to Shaun Alexander 5-11 225 (selected by the Seahawks 19th overall in the 2000 draft).
Old 03-28-2009   #435
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 132nd pick the Denver Broncos select DE/FB/OLB Henry Melton from Texas

Old 03-28-2009   #436
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
With the 132nd pick the Denver Broncos select DE/FB/OLB Henry Melton from Texas

nice pick

133 Philadelphia (from Cleveland) now on the clock
Old 03-28-2009   #437
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Julian Peterson was acquired in a trade with Seattle for DT Cory Redding and a fifth-round draft pick.

129th pick belongs to Seattle. any suggestions? so far -
  1. Eugene Monore, OT
  2. Sean Smith, CB/S
  3. Andy Kevitre, OG
  4. Demetrius Byrd

Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett are scheduled to share the load this season, but the Seahawks could still use a more explosive alternative here. Seattle has always struck me as a team a little off center, they always make some surprising picks if it where me I'd take a long hard look at Colorado State RB Kyle Bell, 6-0 233. big bruising back, strong (29 reps) with excellent speed (4.54) suffered acl (06) now fully recovered. Very similar back in style & size to Shaun Alexander 5-11 225 (selected by the Seahawks 19th overall in the 2000 draft).
So this means Ringer is still on the board? Why not just stay with him if they're going RB?
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #438
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

S.L. Hill
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #439
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
So this means Ringer is still on the board? Why not just stay with him if they're going RB?
Ringer might make more sense for Detroit. Seattle however wants more of a classic power back. I know this is not saying much so take it with a grain of salt but on Fridays NFL Network Pathway to the Draft Casserly did his mock draft (top 10 only) & he had the Seahawks selecting Beanie Wells, 4th overall (once again similar size).

Following this mock & the fact gtexan02 selected OT Eugene Monroe (who I think is a much better pick than Casserly- good job gtexan02) his draft board was still empty of RB's. Bell is a much lesser known prospect than Ringer but his draft stock is ascending & fits their mold. So I would say Ringer is still on the board for any GM who wants to select him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Someones going to have to take over Sea and NJY for me, as I just don't don't know enough about any of the prospects to make an informed choice. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2009   #440
beerlover
Site Contributor

Fifth round
129 Seattle (from Detroit) - Kyle Bell, RB Colorado State
130 St. Louis - Emanuel Cook, SS South Carolina
131 Kansas City - Roy Miller, DT/NT UT
132 Denver (from Seattle) - Henry Melton, DE UT
133 Philadelphia (from Cleveland) P.J. Hill, RB Wisconsin
134 Cincinnati
136 Jacksonville
137 Green Bay
138 San Francisco
139 Buffalo
140 San Diego
141 Denver
142 Washington
144 Houston
146 Chicago
147 Tampa Bay
148 Dallas
149 Philadelphia
150 Minnesota
152 Atlanta
153 Miami
154 Baltimore
155 Carolina
156 New York Giants
157 Indianapolis
159 Arizona
160 Pittsburgh

Last edited by beerlover; 03-28-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read