Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2009   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Davis

Will this guy quietly earn his paycheck as insurance for the "other Andre" again this year or will he see a few more passes his way? He really impresses me rather like Sage did with accepting his role. I see more over all offensive plays this year with the defense improving. However, with Slaton and at least one more solid back, the run first scheme may not work in Davis favor. On a side note, JJ better come to play as Anderson will be pumped the Texans matched his offer saying they really like him.
Old 03-18-2009   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Will this guy quietly earn his paycheck as insurance for the "other Andre" again this year or will he see a few more passes his way? He really impresses me rather like Sage did with accepting his role. I see more over all offensive plays this year with the defense improving. However, with Slaton and at least one more solid back, the run first scheme may not work in Davis favor. On a side note, JJ better come to play as Anderson will be pumped the Texans matched his offer saying they really like him.
Davis really impressed me two years ago. I can't lie though I'd really like to see more and more of Anderson than anyone else other than Walter and AJ. He might not be that talented but he can just make nice plays that keeps drives going. I'd like to see Anderson utilized more actually.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Davis knows his role, and this is to make plays when he is called. As for earning his paycheck, he did that in 07. Without his returns we would've been a 7-9 team. We now pay him to prepare as the #1 but not get the attention as the #1 during the game unless he is called upon. I tend to think he is going to have a big year this year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I think Davis knows his role, and this is to make plays when he is called. As for earning his paycheck, he did that in 07. Without his returns we would've been a 7-9 team. We now pay him to prepare as the #1 but not get the attention as the #1 during the game unless he is called upon. I tend to think he is going to have a big year this year.

I would hope not too big since that would most likely mean AJ got injured

Davis is paid like a starter because he is an insurance policy and for all intensive purposes a luxury. Players like him that are luxuries rather than focal points on offense are signs that we are a team turning the corner no longer having to resort to having the Corey Bradfords of the world as our # 1 WR.

I hope he can return some kicks for tds this year.
Old 03-18-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

Davis is paid like a starter because he is an insurance policy and for all intensive purposes a luxury. Players like him that are luxuries rather than focal points on offense are signs that we are a team turning the corner no longer having to resort to having the Corey Bradfords of the world as our # 1 WR.

You basically said what I meant. When I say a big year, I mean a few more TDs and yards and more TD returns.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #6
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
god forbid we go 7-9 rather than 8-8 right? sorry don't get me wrong i'd much rather have the texans win and i know that wins are the only thing in this league but neither of these records gets us to the playoffs so forgive me for not taking this reasoning too seriously. in 07 Davis lit up everything. he returned kicks for TD's, he caught 50 yard bombs, but this past year his game died. he had less catches than Anderson (who was a 5th receiver at the begining of the year) and didn't return a single kick for a score. he'll be on the chopping block either after TC or at the end of this year if he doesn't show that he's still got some of his old magic in him.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been wishing for A.D. to get more balls thrown his way for two years now. I mean he's got track speed that can "stretch the field" and isn't afraid to go up in traffic and make a catch - actually, none of our guys are.

Like Joker said, A.D. is on the sidelines so that when A.J. isn't on the field -to catch a blow or is nicked up - we still have a legit deep threat on the field.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2009   #8
Dapper
Veteran

Rep Power: 33 Dapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't remember when but I think he was injured for a stretch last year.
Old 03-18-2009   #9
Mac#5
Rookie

Rep Power: 8 Mac#5 was voted MVPMac#5 was voted MVPMac#5 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
I can't remember when but I think he was injured for a stretch last year.
Yea he was. thats why JJ was returnin kick offs
Mac#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda wish he didn't return those two kickoffs for TD's two years ago. He's way overpaid now because of it

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Kinda wish he didn't return those two kickoffs for TD's two years ago. He's way overpaid now because of it
That and the fact he's a top notch special teams gunner and filled in admirably when AJ went down.
Old 03-19-2009   #12
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 23 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I disagree on both accounts - I don't believe he's overpaid and I also don't think he got paid because of the kickoff returns for TD's. I think it was the 33 balls he caught for an 18 yard average in 2007 and the way he helped keep the Texans offense from stalling for the 6 or so games that AJ was injured. Hopefully they will throw a few balls his way this year.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

His returns this year were weak. Hopefully he returns to form in that respect, though I think I'd like to see him catching a few balls this year from a WR position instead of KR.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

I do think Davis can have very good year with AJ on field and doing well. I want to see Davis avg per catch go up. I believe it dropped some last season but I could be wrong. We should have a great receiving corps this year.
Old 03-19-2009   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
god forbid we go 7-9 rather than 8-8 right? sorry don't get me wrong i'd much rather have the texans win and i know that wins are the only thing in this league but neither of these records gets us to the playoffs so forgive me for not taking this reasoning too seriously. in 07 Davis lit up everything. he returned kicks for TD's, he caught 50 yard bombs, but this past year his game died. he had less catches than Anderson (who was a 5th receiver at the begining of the year) and didn't return a single kick for a score. he'll be on the chopping block either after TC or at the end of this year if he doesn't show that he's still got some of his old magic in him.
Not to attack you but I think you are incorrect. 8-8 compared to 7-9 last season was really big and important. Everyone from fans to talk shows were discussing the differences during and just after the season. No, it did not get them to plays offs, crazy losses did that; but where this team was going into game 16, 8-8 said a lot of positive things.

I also do not read Davis season as you do. Sometime a new guy steps up statistically for various reasons such as little film on him for defense to read. I think this helped Anderson last year. He was like Davis in that last season was Anderson's year before becoming a FA and the year before Davis was playing for new contract. I am hopeful JJ will have a very good year as it may be his last and hopefully he knows that.
Old 03-19-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
I disagree on both accounts - I don't believe he's overpaid and I also don't think he got paid because of the kickoff returns for TD's. I think it was the 33 balls he caught for an 18 yard average in 2007 and the way he helped keep the Texans offense from stalling for the 6 or so games that AJ was injured. Hopefully they will throw a few balls his way this year.
There you go!
Old 03-19-2009   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's an odd year..he should produce and be injury free. When y'all banged for him a couple of Decembers ago, I posted he would be dinged...regularly. and we'd have to be patient with him.
Old 03-19-2009   #18
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not to attack you but I think you are incorrect. 8-8 compared to 7-9 last season was really big and important. Everyone from fans to talk shows were discussing the differences during and just after the season. No, it did not get them to plays offs, crazy losses did that; but where this team was going into game 16, 8-8 said a lot of positive things.

I also do not read Davis season as you do. Sometime a new guy steps up statistically for various reasons such as little film on him for defense to read. I think this helped Anderson last year. He was like Davis in that last season was Anderson's year before becoming a FA and the year before Davis was playing for new contract. I am hopeful JJ will have a very good year as it may be his last and hopefully he knows that.
seeing as this board is rarely a 'agree to disagree' kind of site i feel obligated to respond. the difference between Anderson and Davis is that Anderson is young. it seems to me that Davis was a one year wonder as he never really produced before two years ago and last year he slipped up where at least Anderson still has almost all of his career ahead of him.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
seeing as this board is rarely a 'agree to disagree' kind of site i feel obligated to respond. the difference between Anderson and Davis is that Anderson is young. it seems to me that Davis was a one year wonder as he never really produced before two years ago and last year he slipped up where at least Anderson still has almost all of his career ahead of him.
Thanks for response as I really enjoy the discussion. I've linked his stats for review http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5933/career
Note that receptions dropped drastically as he went from option #1 two years ago as AJ's replacement to last season. Not sure that is a bad thing and certainly not his fault. He still avg 16 1/2 yds and increased after the catch from 3 to 5.5. If you just compare catches without asking why, I'd agree with you. Hope I am not wrong on my perception. He does turn 30 June 12th but we will see if he has lost any speed.
Old 03-19-2009   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Andre Davis had to get surgery on his left ring finger and had to sit out a bunch of games. After he was back, he still said it hurt but he played through it anyway.

Davis and Anderson are different type players. Anderson is more of a slot possession guy, or as his agent would like to sell him, a "Wes Welker" type.

Davis is more of a downfield threat.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read