Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-16-2009   #1
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer
Default Lions likely to draft tackle?

Quote:
Lions | Likely targeting left tackle with first pick?
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:05:19 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of Mlive.com, reports the Detroit Lions will likely select either Virginia OT Eugene Monroe or Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft, depending on the contract negotiations leading up to the draft.
http://kffl.com

Just thought I would post this to help out the mocksters. Lions are said to be possibly interested in Cutler. I wonder how far Stafford could fall?
Old 03-16-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions likely to draft tackle?

I would hope they go OL or DL. The Lions need to only look at what we did when we picked Mario and how he's helped us vs. the sexy QB or RB pick. We did it and have reached respectability.

If they get Cutler, this would make a very solid offseason for them.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #3
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were Cutler, I'd be kissing the coaches butt, talking about how great it is to be working under such a brilliant offensive mind.

Anything to stay out of Detroit.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't Cutler's behavior remind you of Jake Plummer and the whole hissy-fit he put up when they traded him to the Bucs?
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I wonder how far Stafford could fall?
I don't see how Stafford could get past Jacksonville. Garrard looks like a one year wonder and is not the long term answer at QB. If the Broncos do deal Cutler, they would have the ammo to move up and grab Stafford.
Old 03-18-2009   #6
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't see how Stafford could get past Jacksonville. Garrard looks like a one year wonder and is not the long term answer at QB. If the Broncos do deal Cutler, they would have the ammo to move up and grab Stafford.
i could see Jacksonville taking him but not because Garrard was a one hit wonder. hes a solid QB and better than Leftwich was but the value of getting Stafford there is just too great not to mention that with Garrard there they don't need to start him immediately with that lousy excuse for a WR corps that they have not to mention no LT to speak of. i'm not rooting for it though. playing a guy like Stafford twice a year while still having to put up with Manning would suck.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Have no evidence of this....but I was thinking if he wanted to go home....his new head coach opened the gate for him very wide. I was thinking this could be John Elway in reverse. We're assuming here....this was an accident from both ends.
Old 03-19-2009   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Would be smart to take a with the first pick. Getting Peterson from the Seahawks makes Curry less of a possibility. Could select Freeman at the top of the first or Davis in third or could just wait for a better QB class next year. This one is pretty weak and the value is more in later rounds.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The Lions should draft the best OL on the board and stop reaching for fan pleasing skill players at top of the draft...not that that hasn't worked out for them.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they go offense and leave defense on table to float down giving us better options.
Old 03-19-2009   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 1st pick in the NFL draft, the Detroit Lions surprise most by selecting Michael Oher, OT from Ole Miss.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
With the 1st pick in the NFL draft, the Detroit Lions surprise most by selecting Michael Oher, OT from Ole Miss.
Nope they surprise everyone by picking BJ Raji, DT from BC. Just have a feeling.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Nope they surprise everyone by picking BJ Raji, DT from BC. Just have a feeling.
Nope. They surprise no one by selecting Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech.
Old 03-19-2009   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post

Just thought I would post this to help out the mocksters. Lions are said to be possibly interested in Cutler. I wonder how far Stafford could fall?
Thanks for the info...

But I think it would be a mistake for Detroit not to draft defense with all their first day picks. They've already got two 1st round tackles in Detroit. No reason for anyone to think these college boys are going to do any better.

There offense was putrid, but their defense was even worse. & their in a division, where 3 of the 4 teams play defense like somebody stole something.
Old 03-19-2009   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Nope. They surprise no one by selecting Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech.
Millen is gone so that isnt even funny anymore.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were the Lions new GM, I'd realize that my team sucks and will probably suck for a few more years no matter what I do this year. Building a team takes several years, it won't happen overnight and building any team begins in the trenches. I'd also realize that this is a poor year to be selecting a QB and I'd want to be building an O-line worthy of protecting a 1st round QB so that whoever gets picked to be the Lions QB of the future, doesn't turn into the next David Carr. I'd heavily consider picking either Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith with the 1st pick and then take either Alex Mack or Max Unger with the #20 pick, giving them a massive headstart on a stellar O-line. I'd then address the D-line in the 2nd round, probably with Ron Brace-DT and maybe Chris Baker-DT in the 3rd so that they've got a great start on both lines. I'd probably take Chip Vaughn-SS with the other 3rd rounder because he's really good at playing the run and Mark Parson-CB in the 4th because he's a really good CB that can be had late, and then you'd have the beginnings of rebuilding a team. The new GM should start with the basics of controlling the LOS and defending the run and realize that you'll be getting the top draft picks again next year as well. Next year there will be more great players to fill holes and better QB's to choose from as well. JMO.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
If I were the Lions new GM, I'd realize that my team sucks and will probably suck for a few more years no matter what I do this year. Building a team takes several years, it won't happen overnight and building any team begins in the trenches. I'd also realize that this is a poor year to be selecting a QB and I'd want to be building an O-line worthy of protecting a 1st round QB so that whoever gets picked to be the Lions QB of the future, doesn't turn into the next David Carr. I'd heavily consider picking either Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith with the 1st pick and then take either Alex Mack or Max Unger with the #20 pick, giving them a massive headstart on a stellar O-line. I'd then address the D-line in the 2nd round, probably with Ron Brace-DT and maybe Chris Baker-DT in the 3rd so that they've got a great start on both lines. I'd probably take Chip Vaughn-SS with the other 3rd rounder because he's really good at playing the run and Mark Parson-CB in the 4th because he's a really good CB that can be had late, and then you'd have the beginnings of rebuilding a team. The new GM should start with the basics of controlling the LOS and defending the run and realize that you'll be getting the top draft picks again next year as well. Next year there will be more great players to fill holes and better QB's to choose from as well. JMO.
And those are very good picks. Lions signed a LB FA recently that should help also.
Old 03-22-2009   #18
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700

KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.
Old 03-22-2009   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

nice. baylor player being #1 overall. may be a little boost for an upward trending program.

that being said, i will believe it when i see it. The Lion's best move would be to trade both their 1st Rounders and their 2nd and 3rd Rounder for, Jay Cutler and Denver's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Round picks. there would also be a stipulation in the trade that if the Lions make the playoffs in 2009, the Lions would give up a 2010 1st Rounder.

This would basically have Detroit swap their 2 picks in the Top 33 for Cutler and Denver's 1st and 2nd Round and they would also swap positions in the 3rd Round to further compensate Denver.

I don't know if Denver would take it, but its essentially a bunch of draft position and a #1 overall pick for Jay Cutler.
Old 03-22-2009   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I have heard Cutler's name with the Lions..the Bears were another team mentioned I believe.

John McClain will be beside himself if a Baylor guy goes number one!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read