Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2005   #61
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think 2 RB's will go in the top 15.

This years RB class is head and shoulders above the last 3 years. I am confident that 2 will go by #15, if not 3.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #62
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Are these guys really graded that much better than Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson? OLine and Defense are where playoff games are won, therefore I see the top D players and the better OL being priorities in the draft, not to mention the top QBs and WRs that will push them down some more. A top tier RB is important but teams don't have to go for them in the first round. and average RBs can look like a top tier RB with a solid OL.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #63
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Are these guys really graded that much better than...
Question. Where would Willis McGahee have been drafted if he hadn't been injured? Wouldn't it have been higher? Weren't people thinking top 5 before the injury.

I don't know how high the evaluations of these RBs will be yet, but I don't think we've seen the last of the RBs drafted in the top ten.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #64
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we've seen the last of it either and McGahee could have very well gone in the top 5 and been a great pick. But the last decade or so of the top 13 that you presented makes it look about 50/50. Of course some of those guys didnt make it ebcause of character issues or being too slow and I think the only one in this class that falls under the latter category is Benson (according to some people). But I think people have bigger priorities than a top RB and the net effect will be that these guys go a little lower than people expect. But I've never claimed to know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-23-2005   #65
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are these guys really graded that much better than Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson?
I personally rate all 3 above Jones and Jackson.
Old 01-23-2005   #66
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

that was a good pick-up for the Cowboys (GM Hoth-Boy) as predicted by Texansfan 88-

11) Dallas Cowboys: Shawne Merrimen, DE Maryland
Anyone remember a guy by the name of John Abraham that came out of South Carolina as an OLB-DE tweener? Okay think that, but 5 times better, and you have Merrimen. He excelled on the same D-Line as Randy Starks last year and probably helped Starks become a dependable rookie in the NFL. Dallas needs defensive line help like none other. With Thomas Davis off the board, there's really no strong safety worth this spot to replace Darren Woodson.

let see if he follows his own adivce and takes-

12) San Diego Chargers: Jammal Brown, OT Oklahoma
Roman Oben is not the long term answer at right tackle. Brown has anchored one of the best Offensive lines in the country over the last 3 years and brings a lot of experience to the table that is valuable going to the NFL. Many feel that Brown isn't worth a pick this high, but with the combine workout, I believe he will be this pick without a doubt if Edwards is not here.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #67
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like this mock thus far. Much better than a lot of the cookie cutter mocks I've seen on the net. GMs are doing their research and making some logical, although out of the box, decisions. I'm glad no one has used the rationale, "Jim Bob has to go here. Mel said he would."
Old 01-23-2005   #68
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have a trade down we are looking at and are in the process of reconfirmation. The trading team had some guys on his board but I don't know if they are still there. I may not get a confirmation till the morning. If I resolve this tonight I will post it tonight.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #69
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been talking to several teams about moving down and decided on Fiddy's offer since his pick only moves us back to the 18th slot. I'll let everyone know who I was targeting later after I finish maneuvering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The 2nd trade of the Draft:
Fiddy Vikings have sent their 1st and 2nd round picks to the Vinny Texans for the 13th overall pick.

The Vikings have traded up because they were afraid that someone else would trade up to take the 2nd best CB in the draft, Adam "Pac-Man" Jones. We have already missed out on Thomas Davis and Antrel Rolle. Our problem has been defense and if Moss isnt traded for defense, then Pac-Man and Winfield form a nice duo at the CB positions.

The Vikings have selected CB Adam "Pac-Man" Jones out of West Virgina with the 13th overall selection.

Old 01-23-2005   #70
ComstockLode
Veteran

That is an awesome trade by the vikings, that would help shore up there defense...
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #71
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that the Superbowl match-up is set, do the Steelers get the 30th pick instead of #32?

28 San Diego 12-4 .477
29 Indianapolis 12-4 .500
30 Pittsburgh 15-1 .484
31S Philadelphia 13-3 .453
32S New England 14-2 .492

ps. nice work by all you would be GM's

Last edited by beerlover; 01-24-2005 at 11:07 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #72
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Whoa whoa whoa....wait a minute. Did I just hear that the Vikings got their 1st Round pick in on time? All is not right in the world.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #73
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

The Saints would be willing to move down in the first round, preferably still within the top 25 unless the right deal comes along.

Old 01-23-2005   #74
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
... the last decade or so of the top 13 that you presented makes it look about 50/50 ... But I think people have bigger priorities than a top RB and the net effect will be that these guys go a little lower than people expect...
I agree with both these points. I guess I just feel a Tomlinson, or James would go before 13th, even though we haven't seen that kind of RB (or LB for that matter) the last 3 years.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #75
dbo78912
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dbo78912

As a Browns fan, it would REALLY anger me if we picked Derrick Johnson. LB is one of our strong points.
Old 01-24-2005   #76
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I agree with both these points. I guess I just feel a Tomlinson, or James would go before 13th, even though we haven't seen that kind of RB (or LB for that matter) the last 3 years.
A Tomlinson or a James definitely would, but these guys are unknowns at this point. The one thing that might push them up in the draft is that the draft isn''t exactly stocked with elite players, especially on offense. There's really only a handful of offensive players that truly deserve to go in the first round. This fact could push Cadillac and Ronnie Brown up in the draft, but I don't think it will have much of an effect on Benson if concerns about his speed turn out to be justified.

I think this draft looks pretty good on D to be honest. While only a few guys really jump out for the top half of the first round, there's a lot of solid picks in the late first/2nd/3rd rounds. It isn't bad at CB and S with guys like Jackson, Miller, Rogers, Jones, Browner moving up / Davis, Brimmer, Nicholson etc and I think Junior Rosegreen is an underrated player that could find his way higher than people expect. What's strange to me is that guys who were rated so highly as juniors last season have suddenly fallen down the draft pipe as seniors. David Pollack is the biggest example to me, as well as Jammal Brimmer.

Old 01-24-2005   #77
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbo78912
As a Browns fan, it would REALLY anger me if we picked Derrick Johnson. LB is one of our strong points.
Chaun Thompson at ROLB is a strong point?

Your strong points are RB, TE, DL, S.
Old 01-24-2005   #78
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

The Chiefs reached big time for Marlin Jackson. I think Carlos Rogers is the 3rd best CB in the draft...

Cadillac and Benson are still on the board. I could easily see this happening...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #79
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Every time I'm about to pick you guys start pimping my choice while I'm a few picks away.

Old 01-24-2005   #80
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Brutal. Totally own3d again...there goes Rogers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read