Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-13-2005   #201
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I really liked Castillo. I was sort of hoping he'd fall to my virtual Bengals because he would have strengthed their DLine. He reminds me a little of Seth Payne in his intense willingness to do whatever it takes to help his team win, and his great blue collar like 'Let's go to work' attitude. He played well last season even though he essientially played with one arm, and he played against Big Ten opponents. So he definately wasn't going against alot of pushovers. Now that he's off the board I'll have to look for the next guy on my virtual draft board. Thanks alot VINNY!
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005   #202
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
1) Vinny Texans (Seahawks) - David Baas, C/OG, Michigan
2a) Vinny Texans (Titans) - Chris Canty, DE Virginia
2b) Vinny Texans - Demarcus Ware LB, Troy State
3) Vinny Texans (Dal) - Luis Castillo, DT, Northwestern

Well, my first day selections are done with this pick. Luis Castillo could be the best candidate to play NT in this draft although personally, I'm not totally sold on him so I go with a bit of broad consensus and the fact that he is creeping into the first rd of some mocks (in the first round at Ourlads) combined with the fact that he is the 4th player chosen in the draft so the fallout is a little more negligible if he doesn't pan out.

I really liked Ryan Moats (can you say Brian Westbrook?), Marion Barber, Wesly Britt, or Kevin Everett here but will trust others opinions over my own at this point. So my gamble and hope would be that one of those guys would be there for my virtual Texans in the 4th.

So, to sum it up, I took care of the interior Offensive line with a physical player who can match up with the Hainsworths, Hendersons, and Strouds in the middle of the field and not get pushed around. Baas has been known to play with fire; a real nasty streak. Injecting a bit of attitude into our passive offensive line will help out tremendously. With Castillo and Canty we have injected size, youth and talent into a line that was aging and becoming injury prone. Demarcus Ware will take Peek's place at situational pass-rusher and hopefully Peek will have the entire scheme down and play with enough smarts to start over the hard working, steady but not spectacular Wong at the ROLB. Hopefully Ware is good enough to start by year 2. It will be a nice problem to have.

The front 7 is beefed up, and our interior line is improved. A team can only go as far as the lines will let them go and our OT play will improve when we have an actual pocket for Carr to step into. It is nearly impossible to keep your body in between Carr and the player you are blocking when you don't know where Carr will be after 2 seconds. Most of Carrs sacks were a direct result of the pocket getting too much inside push and he had to flush to the outside where it is almost impossible to protect him. With the lines improved on both sides of the ball the Offensive skill guys will be able to do their jobs better and should really improve our defense over last years effort.

I'm e-mailing Casserly & copying McNair just to let them know job security is always negotiable
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005   #203
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm surprised Marion Barber is still on the board.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005   #204
ColdSteelBlue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
I'm surprised Marion Barber is still on the board.
I was too. I started to take him but I like Cedric Houstons power a little better.
Old 02-13-2005   #205
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Exactly the reason I was going to pick him up late in the third, and be a 'genius'. Guess I should've brought out my 'genius' thinking cap in the 2nd Round. Curse you ArlingtonTexan!
Now..now cursing isn't allowed on this board...Honestly, I check it over like 10 times because i thought it was a mistake...
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #206
TexanTom
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Now..now cursing isn't allowed on this board...Honestly, I check it over like 10 times because i thought it was a mistake...
Curse you again ArlingtonTexan...I mentioned McFadden in my selection in the 2nd round not expecting him to last. He then lasted 30+ picks and I started thinking I'd have an easy decision. Then you pick him up RIGHT before me!
TexanTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #207
TexanTom
Rookie

As I was writing up my pick I started rambling about my thought process and decided it was too much for the selection thread so decided I'd put it over here instead. I spent quite a while last night reading about a lot of guys so I didn't want all my thoughts to "go to waste"...so here is the whole thing:

With the 79th pick the Carolina Panthers select Josh Bullocks S Nebraska.

Bullocks will be brought in to compete for the starting Free Safety spot for the Panthers. He is excellent in coverage with knack for being around the ball. He is a good size body with decent speed and a solid tackler. He will need to work on his run-support from the safety position.

We're reaching the point in the draft where every prospect has something wrong with them or something they need more work on. I spent quite a while looking a lot of different directions, but I haven't seen nearly enough of these guys and can only read so much about them. After looking at options at nearly every position I ended up coming full circle back to safety figuring if the Panthers are going to have to develop someone anyway they might as well develop them at a position of need.
At the safety position I focused on Bullocks and Donte Nicholson. Nicholson is pretty much the opposite of Bullocks with his strength being run suppport and weakness being coverage. Considering the Panthers are looking for a free safety I figured stick with the guy who is more natural in coverage and teach him to support the run, as I believe that is the easier transition.

At other positions I considered Wesley Britt, a BIG offensive line prospect with a broken leg. Seems to me whatever team is willing to take a chance on his twice fractured leg will get a heck of a player if it works out. While he woudl likely add another solid piece to the (my now even younger) Panthers O-line I thought going TE-Oline-Oline first three rounds might be a bit too focused on one area.
I looked hard at all the running backs. I considered Darren Sproles who ought to be a nice niche player in the NFL. There are also a boat-load of RB's with (surprise surprise) durability concerns. The Panthers already have their fair share of RB's with durability issues and didn't need another one on the roster.
I also looked at the big WR prospects (Brackins, Jackson, Jones) but decided it was too early for such a boom-or-bust type of player.

So there's my rambling - feel free to call me an *****...

Guess I better get back to work...
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2005   #208
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anyone will take a chance on Wesley Britt as a first day pick anymore. He has broken the same leg 2 years in a row.
Old 02-14-2005   #209
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
With the 80th pick, the Vikings select Donte Nicholson, S, Oklahoma. We love that he is available and unlike our first pick, Pac-Man Jones, he can sit and learn behind Chavos and Russell. A year after the two safeties combined for 17 INTs, they dropped to 2 INTs. Nicholson will be brought in for competition at first, but by his second year we hope he challenges for a starting spot.
Just had to do this to me, didn't you. Oh well. Nicholson will be a bust.

Editing..Sorry, wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I was posting on the selection thread. (I know, it says so right in front of my face, but it happens)

Last edited by ledzeppelin229; 02-14-2005 at 08:36 PM.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #210
TexanTom
Rookie

Quote:
I don't think anyone will take a chance on Wesley Britt as a first day pick anymore. He has broken the same leg 2 years in a row.
I probably agree with you, but hard to know anymore until team doctors get a chance to check him out. I ultimately decided he wasn't worth the Panthers pick, especially considering I had already picked up offensive line help in the 2nd round. From everything I read it sounded like he was a really good tackle prospect (late first/early second) before he got a hairline fracture at one of the All-Star Bowl (Senior Bowl maybe?) workouts. It was in the same leg that he had a compound fracture over a year ago.

I'd guess there will be plenty of people checking out his leg at the combine and such b/c if your doctors can convince you he'll be OK to play you may be able to get really good value on him as the draft progresses. It's really gonna be a question of how each team evaluates the injury. I dunno how the guy managed to break the same leg twice - he's either one unlucky dude or he needs to drink more milk...
Old 02-15-2005   #211
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

24 hours is up
Old 02-15-2005   #212
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
24 hours is up
texasguy346 Bengals are up...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #213
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

After reading more about Britt's recent hairline fracture of the fibula, it doesn't seem as serious as I had initially thought.

Leg injury forces Britt out
Thursday, January 27, 2005
MIKE PERRIN

MOBILE - Alabama offensive tackle Wesley Britt suffered a hairline fracture of the fibula in his right leg in practice Wednesday and will miss Saturday's Senior Bowl.

Britt's father, Tommy, said his son was having a "high-energy practice" before the injury to the non-weight bearing bone that came during the first play of an inside running drill.

The 6-foot-7, 309-pound former Cullman High School standout walked off the field under his own power and went to the Mobile Infirmary Medical Center.

"At first, they didn't see anything on the X-ray," the elder Britt said. "They talked to Wesley about how he hurt the leg and then they turned up the magnification and saw the hairline crack.

"They told him if he were in the middle of the season, he would miss two or three games. If he was playing in the Super Bowl next week, he'd be able to play."

Britt missed four games in 2003 after breaking his left leg against Tennessee.

Britt was able to speak to a crowd of about 1,500 at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes event Wednesday night, his father said.

Britt will visit Dr. James Andrews at HealthSouth today and may begin his rehab in Tuscaloosa so that he can attend Monday's senior banquet. His agent, David Dunn of Athletes First, already has Britt's trainer working on his rehabilitation schedule.

Britt is not expected to miss the Feb.24 NFL Combine in Indianapolis, although it is possible he will be limited in some drills.

Tampa Bay head coach Jon Gruden, who is coaching the South team this week, said "We are looking forward to working with him. He is a great kid and he is a big guy."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/bi...1038118690.xml
Old 02-16-2005   #214
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Well, that's it as far as my picks go. I am very pleased with the players I was able to draft.

2. Ernest Shazor SS
2. CJ Mosley DT
3. Fred Gibson WR
3. Wesley Britt OT
Old 02-16-2005   #215
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice job of spreading a little disinformation. Hey, that's how the big boys play.
Old 02-16-2005   #216
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, that's it as far as my picks go. I am very pleased with the players I was able to draft.

2. Ernest Shazor SS
2. CJ Mosley DT
3. Fred Gibson WR
3. Wesley Britt OT
I like your draft also. Gibson and Britt are excellent 3rd round values.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #217
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Nice job of spreading a little disinformation. Hey, that's how the big boys play.

That's how the Jaguars got Leftwich.
Old 02-16-2005   #218
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Thanks Vinny. You represented the Texans very well. I like that you focused the majority of your draft on the front 7 of the defense.
Old 02-17-2005   #219
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I kind of wanted to trade down in the first but got impatient and took Rogers. Then I was going to trade down in the 2nd but I didn't think Blackstock would have lasted much longer.

What's the opinion of me taking Jammal Brimmer in the 3rd? I know this guy was highly touted last season as an extremely hard hitter and good against the run but his stats sort of dropped off this season. His speed is also a little slower than what's really desirable (saw a 4.6 somewhere) and his cover skills may need some work. Brimmer was sort of my consolation prize after Fiddy took Nicholson the very pick before mine. I also remembered texasguy346 saying something about liking Brimmer earlier so I was lucky my pick was right before his.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #220
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
What's the opinion of me taking Jammal Brimmer in the 3rd? I know this guy was highly touted last season as an extremely hard hitter and good against the run but his stats sort of dropped off this season. His speed is also a little slower than what's really desirable (saw a 4.6 somewhere) and his cover skills may need some work. Brimmer was sort of my consolation prize after Fiddy took Nicholson the very pick before mine. I also remembered texasguy346 saying something about liking Brimmer earlier so I was lucky my pick was right before his.
Looks like I jinxed myself by being too transparent. I love Jammal Brimmer. He always seems to make the biggest plays in the biggest games. I think he'll fit well as a SS, and he should do well agasint the run. He's not the best in coverage, but he can hold his own against most TEs or Rbs. You wouldn't want to put him one on one against a speedy WR though. He's also a pretty good hitter. He's no Roy Williams, but he's very good value for a 3rd round pick. I was so happy to see him still on the board with only one pick to go before I got to pickup my ideal safety. Then...BAM...he's picked up just before I picked. I had orginally planned on getting Brimmer with my first 3rd round pick, and then picking up Grigsby with my second 3rd round pick. Unfortunately Brimmer was gone so I had to alter my plans just a little bit. Grigsby will fit in well with the Bengals, and I'm not going to jinx myself again with one pick before I wrap up my draft by hinting at who I might take. My Lips are sealed; eventhough I should have sealed them long ago.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read