Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-15-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:With the 15th pick, the Houston Texans select ...

Quote:
Confused? So am I.

This first rounder isn't easy considering the Texans needs, where they pick, and who's going to be available at that point.

I have to make the Texans pick in the examiner.com mock draft in a few days (April Fools Day ... how appropriate) so I'm already feeling the pressure. Not really, but play along with me here.

The Texans have plenty of needs, especially on defense. The problem the Texans face is that the talent at 15 looks a lot like the talent at 25 so I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans trade down again this year if they can find a willing partner looking to move up and snag an offensive 'skill player' or maybe a 3-4 LB tweener/edge rusher.

Despite some completely insane mock drafts suggesting otherwise (ESPN's Todd McShay), I think it's pretty safe to rule out quarterback from the list of possible Texans first round picks.

Same for wide receiver, although Jeremy Maclin could probably replace Andre Davis and Jacoby Jones in one fell swoop (it's not happening).

Same with running back. You can read my Beanie Wells at 15 rant here.

So what's left? Let's take a look at the usual suspects and a few others.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...Texans-select-
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:With the 15th pick, the Houston Texans select ...

Darius Butler will be tempting, his pro day is coming up March 25th. He is already graded as 1st rd. pick, remember how far up the boards Dunta Robinson moved in 04 & he turned out pretty well, question is will the Texans keep him?

whoever it is I would pay close attention to their pro-day workouts. observe who attends, the higher profile representitive its probable the more interest there is. then in April (sorry after you've selected) teams can invite a number of prospects in to workout.

once a player makes it in the league their market price commands premium cap space after rookie contract expires, see Dunta Robinson. does anybody know what he wanted or what the Texans offered that they were forced to franchise him? I would hate like hell to lose Dunta, he would be my favorite Texan all-time but its a buisness. you have him at least one more year, use him & mentor his possible replacement, just in case.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Darius Butler will be tempting, his pro day is coming up March 25th. He is already graded as 1st rd. pick, remember how far up the boards Dunta Robinson moved in 04 & he turned out pretty well, question is will the Texans keep him?

whoever it is I would pay close attention to their pro-day workouts. observe who attends, the higher profile representitive its probable the more interest there is. then in April (sorry after you've selected) teams can invite a number of prospects in to workout.

once a player makes it in the league their market price commands premium cap space after rookie contract expires, see Dunta Robinson. does anybody know what he wanted or what the Texans offered that they were forced to franchise him? I would hate like hell to lose Dunta, he would be my favorite Texan all-time but its a buisness. you have him at least one more year, use him & mentor his possible replacement, just in case.
I read the pro-day workouts section of NFL.com everyday. The one thing that strikes me as odd is that when they list all who was there for a player, not once have they mentioned the Texans.
Old 03-16-2009   #4
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I like his reasoning for not taking Wells at 15. "We already had a guy named Wells from Ohio State!" Can't argue with that kind of logic.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post Wolf.

So one the one hand we got Andre Smith....who has clearly made the choice of not working his franchise for three years. Skipping through life with a smile, a gut and wouldn't get turned away from Frederick's of Hollywood if he wondered into their shop and was looking for some support. And on the other hand, you've got Cushing who has taken it seriously for three years. And it's Cushing who is getting nicked picked apart. Go figure.
Old 03-16-2009   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Darius Butler will be tempting, his pro day is coming up March 25th.
once a player makes it in the league their market price commands premium cap space after rookie contract expires, see Dunta Robinson. does anybody know what he wanted or what the Texans offered that they were forced to franchise him?
I thought I read he wanted what the herd was getting :14 * 2 thirty five total. Guess what If I was smith I would of tagged the guy too. 2011 might be the last season for a while....tag him again next year.

Bad Luck for Robinson. I think I could make the lock out with 6.5 Million in the bank after taxes. 'Coures I'm not a very greed man.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read