Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-14-2005   #1
willy
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to willy
Exclamation 2005 Draft

Hi everyone, how long...

What do you think that the Texans need the most in this year's draft(2005)? Maybe its a little bit earlier but I think that all of uss know perfectly what our team needs...

For me, its one speedster-pure pass rusher Defensive End (I was so disapointed when the team selected a CB and a LB in the last year's draft, but I have to say that Im so pleased with Dunta's production...), but I still think that we need a major force in the D line, someone who the defenses have to be afraid of.

What do you think about that?

Willy
Old 01-14-2005   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default all for it

The Texans need to upgrade their lines.The OL and DL need help.If a can't miss cornerback or LB fell to me I'd consider it.But I would not take an offensive skills player.Why have a Corvette if you don't have a garage to keep it from getting beat up.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #3
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

"But I would not take an offensive skills player."

I'm sure the team has a list of top players they want. I would like to see them select a defensive player. However, I wouldn't be upset if we select a top rated WR to go along with AJ. Think about it, if we had 2 top WR's we'd be set.
Old 01-16-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this is most perplexing......the draft, what the Texans need & who will be available? i totally agree that pass rushing is one of two priorities the Texans must address. that being said since Ngata (big NT) is staying in school, there will be no blue chip DT available & pick #13. the 4-3 DE does not fit in the Texans 3-4, the Texans depend on linebackers or secondary to rush the QB in different zone blitzes of which the top two prospects here Derrick Johnson LB & safety Thomas Davis will already be picked. to me it looks more & more like if the Texans address this need with their 1st pick that Casserly will trade down & aquire more picks in the process.

the second pressing need is the offensive line. i'm thinking the ends are set with Wand & Wade but that a stud guard & center are needed. i'm just about finished with my mock draft and this is the direction i see the Texans heading should they remain @ #13. i will post after the conclusion of the games today after all the dust has settled under Mock Drafts thread, then its up to Vinny to plan which direction the Texans go since he will be the GM
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is that they will look for one of the top CBs, if not there, trade down. Kind of disapointing that some of the kids are staying in school that could help us. Never know what CC will do though.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #6
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm of the belief that they'll trade down & go after a stud NT like Antaaj Hawthorne. He's big, strong, & would give us the player we need to collapse the pocket, or tie up 2 blockers on every play. Resign Payne & move him over to the LDE position (Good bye, Mister Walker), & we're set on the starting DL. We should be able to pick up a solid CB in the 2nd round & I'd look to get ILB Robert McCune with our first 3rd round pick. With my 2nd 3rd round pick, I'd take the best OL/DL (David Baas, Ben Wilkerson, Chris Kemoeatu, Luis Castillo) available.

Keep an eye on Jerome Collins (TE) Notre Dame in the late rounds. He could be a sleeper.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
I'm of the belief that they'll trade down & go after a stud NT like Antaaj Hawthorne. He's big, strong, & would give us the player we need to collapse the pocket, or tie up 2 blockers on every play.
Odds are that if you want Mister Hawthorne you will hav eto trade up to get him. With the thinnning talent at DT he is likely a to go before we pick.

Quote:
We should be able to pick up a solid CB in the 2nd round & I'd look to get ILB Robert McCune with our first 3rd round pick. With my 2nd 3rd round pick, I'd take the best OL/DL (David Baas, Ben Wilkerson, Chris Kemoeatu, Luis Castillo) available.

Keep an eye on Jerome Collins (TE) Notre Dame in the late rounds. He could be a sleeper.
Once again if you want Baas he is unlikely to be there at our second third. At the first third, maybe; he's one of the top three OG in this draft.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2005   #8
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Odds are that if you want Mister Hawthorne you will hav eto trade up to get him. With the thinnning talent at DT he is likely a to go before we pick.
I disagree that he'll go before the 13th pick. I see Aaron Rodgers, Cedric Benson, Alex Smith, Alex Baron, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Antrel Rolle, Thomas Davis, Erasmus James, Cadillac Williams, Pacman Jones, Ronnie Brown, Justin Miller, Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson, David Pollack, & possibly Travis Johnson being drafted before Hawthorne. That's as many as 17 players. Now, I wouldn't trade down any farther than the 19th pick, because I would expect Dallas to take him at the 20th pick. Also, if I were to trade down, it would be for a pick next year. Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Once again if you want Baas he is unlikely to be there at our second third. At the first third, maybe; he's one of the top three OG in this draft.
You might be right about Baas, but there are several other quality players that would be available.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree that he'll go before the 13th pick. I see Aaron Rodgers, Cedric Benson, Alex Smith, Alex Baron, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Antrel Rolle, Thomas Davis, Erasmus James, Cadillac Williams, Pacman Jones, Ronnie Brown, Justin Miller, Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson, David Pollack, & possibly Travis Johnson being drafted before Hawthorne. That's as many as 17 players. Now, I wouldn't trade down any farther than the 19th pick, because I would expect Dallas to take him at the 20th pick.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys take Hawthorne at 11, or do they pick 10 (?). Mainly because there several rumors here in DFW that they want to switch to a 3-4, and they have nobody of great size on the D-line. Aad they problay feel like alot of 3-4 teams the the tweener DEs/OLBs fall better than the D-line men. Then again this could all change after the Combine.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 01-16-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #10
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Hawthorne will last until us for sure because the teams infront of us have more glaring needs and most are set at DT. And there are better DTs like Travis Johnson and Shaun Cody.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

cody is not better. both cody's will be late first, early second. i dont think either one will be a consisent playmaker. i would be surprised to see the cowboys pass on rolle for hawthorne. but if they do, i would take rolle even if i had to trade up a pick. would be fun to sit in the cowboys war room over that choice.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #12
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

I just heard on NFL live that Denver is looking to trade Reuben Droughns....Is Wells staying with us??? I'm not talking about replacing DD because i think he's awesome, but this RD would be a good compliment to him if Wells leaves...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

JMO, but they are looking to sucker some team into giving up way too much for him like a 2nd round draft pick or so. His numbers were good this year, but look at it this way--this is the same OL Clinton Portis averaged 5.5 ypc behind for 2 years. Droughns averaged 4.5. Portis behind a less talented OL averaged 3.8. Buyer beware on this one.
Old 01-18-2005   #14
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

i wonder if any team bites on droughns
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

If our O line has their zone blocking down, why not take a shot at him if the price is not too high. I mean look what DD did behind that line the last 3 or 4 games of the season. And with Hollings and his consistent injuries, we may need RB in the near future.
Old 01-18-2005   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

As a follow up, here is more evidence for what would be a sucker bet IMO:

Droughns has been given permission to seek a trade.

Quote:
The Broncos are said to be seeking one high-round draft pick and one middle-round selection for Droughns
Link

While he is clearly too small to be an every down back (folks that haven't been here long enough--sarcasm alert) having him would be fine, but not at the cost of anything over a 5th round pick IMO.
Old 01-18-2005   #17
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

I agree, he is another one of them one-hit wonders in Denver. Anyteam would be stupid and should fire there GM if they take up Droughins for a 1st and 2nd day draft pick. Thats why I think its going to happen. Droughns is probably wanting the trade because Denver has already told him "hey you ain't gonna be the guy next season, we got Tatum Bell". If he can't start in Denver, heck he can't start anywhere. Well okay, maybe the Cardinals or Dolphins who are desperate, but take the Dolphins out of it, I have heard Travis Henry wants to be traded to Miami. I have also heard that (and I have no link for this) that the Edge might end up in Denver if he does fall though the Colts grasp.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #18
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Either Edgerrin of Travis Henry will end up in Miami, Henry already has sold his house and packed his things and I read somewhere before that If Edgerrin was ever traded or released he wants to play in Miami I think becuase he grew up there, I cannot remember.
Old 01-18-2005   #19
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Either Edgerrin of Travis Henry will end up in Miami, Henry already has sold his house and packed his things and I read somewhere before that If Edgerrin was ever traded or released he wants to play in Miami I think becuase he grew up there, I cannot remember.
Well dat dair town aint gone be big enuff fur da both of em'

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read