Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TC:115 questions about the 2009 Houston Texans

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...he_2009_h.html

Quote:
Why 115? This is my 115th entry in my new TC Chron blog. I'm not sure how many entries I did at the old FanBlog, and I know I've done almost 500 at FanHouse, though not all about the Texans.

I meant to do this post for my 100th entry, but I got busy with recent news. This is also handy because I'm not certain how much internet access I will have in the upcoming days so it provides lots of things to discuss (and read). I can approve entries on my Blackberry, but we will see how well the interwebs will work for me in the few days ahead.

In any event, here goes:
I think you put a question on everything I can think of
well done (again)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TC:115 questions about the 2009 Houston Texans

Quote:
Offense:
1. Does QB Matt Schaub play all 16 games?
2. Does Schaub make the Pro Bowl?
3. Do the Texans stay with Schaub after the season?
4. Who do the Texans get to help share the load with RB Steve Slaton?
5. Will Steve Slaton follow up his rookie season with a better season this year?
6. Does Andre Johnson have the biggest monster WR year in the NFL?
7. More monster than last year? (I think it is possible if he stays healthy)
8. Can the Texans offensive line stay healthy for another entire year?
9. How will LT Duane Brown perform next year without any safety net of an experienced backup?
10. Will the Texans continue to get caved in the middle of the line when facing physical defenses?
11. Who should the Texans pickup in free agency and the draft to help bolster this offense?
12. Does TE Owen Daniels get a long term deal signed with the Texans before the season?
13. Will the play calling work better with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan consistently calling plays?
14. Will we see more red zone scoring?
15. And will the blasted interceptions and fumbles go down?
16. Especially from the quarterback position?
oh I have a couple more...
- Who will we pick up (or draft) to take Bruener's place as our blocking TE?
- Are Jacoby Jones' days numbered as a Texan? If so, who do we draft or sign to return punts and be the #4 WR?
- Can/will Shanny Jr. make use of Andre Davis' speed and bring back the stud WR we saw when A.J. went down in 2007?
- Are we truly stuck with Myers at center or will we upgrade? ...don't the Texans think we should upgrade??
- are we stuck with Duane Brown at LT or is it possible we draft one of the available studs and move Brown to guard?

Then again, one could argue that all my questions are probably more specific versions of #11.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

will winston rebound from a poor yr against speed rushers.. and become as beastl in the passing game as he is in the run game
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

If the Texans do not do better than 8-8 will Gary and maybe Smith be gone in 2010? 2. Who will get sick if they go 8-8 again?
Old 03-14-2009   #5
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
52. Is it possible that Texan fans have even more fun in the tailgates next year?
I can answer this question ~ No, it is not possible to have any more fun then what we have each and every year!

Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
will winston rebound from a poor yr against speed rushers.. and become as beastl in the passing game as he is in the run game
This is a big one to me. I'm 4 games into the 08' season and it's more and more apparent that his technique is lazy against the pass. He's inconsistent. Is it his arm length? He seems to get his legs stuck in the ground an awful lot and his waist gets bent and hit little dinosaur arms are rendered useless.

I haven't heard anything from him directly addressing his play which concerns me or suggests to me that it's not what it appears to be.

My hope is that the unit as a whole will get MUCH better after a solid year together. If the unit improves and progresses it's "sync" then some of the short comings of all three of the right side could really become irrelevant. I want to also make it clear that I think all three seemed to do quite well as run blockers. The sky seems to be the limit with Brown. If he improves alot from his first year we could really begin to see what Kubiak seems to see; that they are the strength of the team.

I still worry about depth and I am on board with the idea of grabing one of the linemen in rd. 1. even if it means pushing Winston inside.

(I think Dale is brainwashing me)
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the tackles were certainly the strength of the Oline and both are great run blockers. I don't think either is considered so good you wouldn't move them in if an elite prospect falls like Oher or maybe Smith but I might want to move Brown in to guard first.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2009   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
3. Do the Texans stay with Schaub after the season?
The answer to that question will be determined by the fate of Gary Kubiak. If Kubiak wins, he stays and keeps Schaub. If Kubiak doesn't win, the next coach will likely choose his own QB. I see no possibility in Kubiak getting to rebuild with another QB in 2010.

Quote:
15. And will the blasted interceptions and fumbles go down?
I hope so. If not, we're looking for a new QB and a new head coach.

Quote:
21. Do we see immediate effects from coaching and player changes or does it take some time?
I think there has to be an immediate impact made by the new and shuffled defensive coaches. If not, the responsibilty for player development falls to the next coaching staff. The time has to be now.
Old 03-14-2009   #9
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

Offense:
1. Does QB Matt Schaub play all 16 games? I hope.
2. Does Schaub make the Pro Bowl? Could. He has the talent and talent around him. I think it goes back to can he stay healthy.
3. Do the Texans stay with Schaub after the season?(YES-the Texans decide to stay with Schaub )**Also** Draft a young QB to groom in 2010
4. Who do the Texans get to help share the load with RB Steve Slaton?Yep, I think that they draft a good young RB.
5. Will Steve Slaton follow up his rookie season with a better season this year? I'm not going to say no, but I think it will be hard for Slaton to put up better numbers this season with hopefully another RB in the stable to sshare the load of carries.
6. Does Andre Johnson have the biggest monster WR year in the NFL?I hope.
7. More monster than last year? (I think it is possible if he stays healthy)Yes. I think AJ has a better season in 2009 than 2008.
8. Can the Texans offensive line stay healthy for another entire year?Yes and I hope.
9. How will LT Duane Brown perform next year without any safety net of an experienced backup? I think he will perform at a higher level this season.
10. Will the Texans continue to get caved in the middle of the line when facing physical defenses?(I don't know)
11. Who should the Texans pickup in free agency and the draft to help bolster this offense? FA OG.***Maybe a WR***
12. Does TE Owen Daniels get a long term deal signed with the Texans before the season? Yes(imo)
13. Will the play calling work better with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan consistently calling plays? Yes
14. Will we see more red zone scoring?Yes
15. And will the blasted interceptions and fumbles go down?Yes
16. Especially from the quarterback position? Yes

Do I win?
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I think the tackles were certainly the strength of the Oline and both are great run blockers. I don't think either is considered so good you wouldn't move them in if an elite prospect falls like Oher or maybe Smith but I might want to move Brown in to guard first.
isnt winton more guard like physically? shorter arms.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
- Are Jacoby Jones' days numbered as a Texan? If so, who do we draft or sign to return punts and be the #4 WR?
- are we stuck with Duane Brown at LT or is it possible we draft one of the available studs and move Brown to guard?

Then again, one could argue that all my questions are probably more specific versions of #11.

Andre Davis is and always has been the #4 Wr.

Yes Virgina. They could have Smith or Monroe for all of the first three picks....and their one in 10.
Old 03-18-2009   #12
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Tc I believe that you forgot the two most important questions.

1. Will someone .....anyone..... please make a stop on third down?
2. Why the bleep is Petey Faggins still on this team?
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
1. Will someone .....anyone..... please make a stop on third down?
This one ^^^^^^!!
Old 03-18-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
This one ^^^^^^!!
For Real!!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read