Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-13-2009   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 843 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Chris "Beanie" Wells

Reported running 4.34 and 4.46 at his Pro Day @ 6'1" 235 Lbs....if he is still there @ 15 would you take him or would you settle for value later in the draft? Slaton had a great first year, but a Beanie + Slaton combo with AJ and OD + Schaub connection is just downright scary. I know we have needs on defense and this may just be a "sexy" pick, but a bigger back with above average speed would be perfect to run with Slaton.

Thoughts....
Old 03-13-2009   #2
Mac#5
Rookie

Rep Power: 8 Mac#5 was voted MVPMac#5 was voted MVPMac#5 was voted MVP
Default Re: Chris "Beanie" Wells

I wish we could take him and it is a sexy pick. i can imagine him and Steve Slaton sorta like Deangelo williams n Stewart but reality is we need to address our needs n RB is position we can take care of in the later rounds and it would be better to wait to the later rounds because we can get a RB for less money.
Mac#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be ecstatic to take him. However, as much as I would love to add him I know that our defense has to many holes to fill and the needs over there far exceed needing a 2nd RB to where we would need to draft one in the first round. We can draft a guy for RB in the 3rd or 4th round.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a fan. He's a one deminsional runner and if that's what we want, grab one later in the draft. He would be a bad pick for the Texans at #15.

He's a powerful runner but he's not going to be able to turn the corner in the pros. My bet is he'll often get injured. The guy has bad hands and is not a threat receiving the ball.

Slaton caught more passes in two games this season than Wells did his entire college career. In this offense, the RB is expected to pick up the blitz and be a safety valve for Schaub. Wells isn't going to to that. Mark him off our list unless he's there in the 2nd round.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a big fan of Wells' and I'm not a fan of fixing our offense's problems when the defenses problems are much worse. I think we can get a good RB (or two) later in the draft that we can get the same or better performance from.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #6
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

If they do take him, then they would have to pick pretty much defensive players the rest of the way.

Last edited by stingray; 03-13-2009 at 08:58 PM.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I wouldn't mind going for a RB in the 2nd or 3rd or an interior linemen in the 3rd or 4th. There's going to be some good options in there.

I really hope we can trade back and get some more picks in the middle rounds. If we can do that, we could come out like bandits this draft.

But that 15th pick just doesn't excite me sitting there all by itself.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2009   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You know, I wouldn't mind going for a RB in the 2nd or 3rd or an interior linemen in the 3rd or 4th. There's going to be some good options in there.

I really hope we can trade back and get some more picks in the middle rounds. If we can do that, we could come out like bandits this draft.

But that 15th pick just doesn't excite me sitting there all by itself.
If we could trade down 10 spots or so, we may still have a shot at Chris Wells, or Donald Brown. So, we could get a running back and then still have 7 picks in the next 4 rounds.... assuming we got an extra 3 and 5 for the traded down (2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5). In a draft this deep and with the kind of players we need (interior oline, safety, part time pass rusher, space eater), I think that's about an ideal situation.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If we could trade down 10 spots or so, we may still have a shot at Chris Wells, or Donald Brown. So, we could get a running back and then still have 7 picks in the next 4 rounds.... assuming we got an extra 3 and 5 for the traded down (2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5). In a draft this deep and with the kind of players we need (interior oline, safety, part time pass rusher, space eater), I think that's about an ideal situation.
The mid 20's is definitely where the Texans would get the biggest value on defense. Wells at 15 vs the defensive talent is a no brainer though. I think Wells is a top 10 player in this draft, that is only slipping because the people in front of us have glaring, must fill needs, with positions that lack a starter all together. The Texans are in a position where they only lack a starter at SS, but there's not one to take in the first.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fan of Wells either, in fact I think 3yrs. from now Wells will be looked at as a 1st round bust similar to Reggie Bush. He'll be functional but not nearly the player worthy of a 1st round pick.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm not a fan of Wells either, in fact I think 3yrs. from now Wells will be looked at as a 1st round bust similar to Reggie Bush. He'll be functional but not nearly the player worthy of a 1st round pick.
Unless he has a bunch of injuries I don't see why you think this. He's a downhill runner, with pretty good speed, and vision. Bush was a scat back who would dance around, and couldn't run between the tackles unless the hole was 10 yards wide. The only major change I would make to Wells' running style is his body lean. He runs too high, and leaves his body open to solid hits. He needs to get down behind his pads, and he would be impossible to tackle head on.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 03-14-2009   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Not a fan. He's a one deminsional runner and if that's what we want, grab one later in the draft. He would be a bad pick for the Texans at #15.

He's a powerful runner but he's not going to be able to turn the corner in the pros. My bet is he'll often get injured. The guy has bad hands and is not a threat receiving the ball.

Slaton caught more passes in two games this season than Wells did his entire college career. In this offense, the RB is expected to pick up the blitz and be a safety valve for Schaub. Wells isn't going to to that. Mark him off our list unless he's there in the 2nd round.
What do you mean by one dimensional player?

I dont know about him not being able to turn the corner in the pros. I think thats his biggest asset. He does have red flags in the injury department but he hasnt had anything serious. Remember the same thing was said about Adrian Peterson last year. Also agree he needs to work on his hands

All in all I personally would rather take Donald Brown if we were to go RB. Alot of people will dissagree with me on this but I have the top RB's as
#1 Donald Brown
#2 LeSean McCoy
#3 Wells and Moreno tied
Why Brown at the top? Because he is a complete player with no negatives.
Why McCoy at #2? Dont understand why this guy doesnt get more love. He reminds me of Slaton but better at running between the tackles at this point in his career.
Why Wells falls? Because of injury history and lack of receiving skills.
Why Moreno falls? Because he takes too many big hits for his size. I have never seen a back as good as Moreno take as many big hits as he has. I dont think he will last long taking these kind of hits in the NFL. Link Link

Last edited by mussop; 03-14-2009 at 06:38 AM.
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #13
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
#2 LeSean McCoy
#3 Wells and Moreno tied
Why Brown at the top? Because he is a complete player with no negatives.
Why McCoy at #2? Dont understand why this guy doesnt get more love. He reminds me of Slaton but better at running between the tackles at this point in his career.
I agree with you about McCoy - I think this guy will be the best running back out of this year's class after watching him play a few games. I don't know how much better he'll be than Slaton was last year, but Slaton was awesome last year. I haven't seen Donald Brown play other than his highlights on youtube, so I can't comment too much on him.

I'm impressed with the recent 40 times that Wells is supposed to have run, but at the same time I don't think it's very accurate to compare his injury criticism to Adrian Peterson's coming out of college. Adrian broke his collar bone when he dove in to the end zone for a touchedown. Beanie Wells broke his foot when he was taking his first carry of the season, before he even made contact with a defender. Wells probably would have been the difference in the Texas - Ohio State bowl game, and I bet OSU would have won if he'd managed to stay in the whole game. But didn't he go out before the half with another injury? I remember that at the time I didn't think he had taken any really bad hits.

Peterson gets injured because he runs like an enraged animal and tries to hurt people for another yard. Beanie seems to get hurt because he's just a guy that gets hurt a lot.
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #14
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if we can't stop teams we need to outscore them like the rams & colts used to do.
Old 03-14-2009   #15
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

You're talking about 240 pounds. He's a great combination of speed and power.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
The mid 20's is definitely where the Texans would get the biggest value on defense. Wells at 15 vs the defensive talent is a no brainer though. I think Wells is a top 10 player in this draft, that is only slipping because the people in front of us have glaring, must fill needs, with positions that lack a starter all together. The Texans are in a position where they only lack a starter at SS, but there's not one to take in the first.
You guys are too rich....you're going to draft to elevate the offense to top three or number one over all....and leave the defense and all it's question marks drowning in the cellar. Fix it with guys with holes in their game and long shots on the second day. Hello eight and eight again. too funny.

Everyone ran fast on that track....everyone. I see now where his reported
4.4's come from. Maybe Mr. McNair will come up with another two or three milion and install to their turff for the beaner in reliant ?
Old 03-15-2009   #17
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
You guys are too rich....you're going to draft to elevate the offense to top three or number one over all....and leave the defense and all it's question marks drowning in the cellar. Fix it with guys with holes in their game and long shots on the second day. Hello eight and eight again. too funny.
Wells could make this offenses scoring match it's overall production. What defender are you looking to take at 15 that is going to improve the defense from the 27th best to a top 13?

I'd like to get a defender, but there's not good value where we pick. So I would rather trade down, or take a player who will have the biggest impact on the team rather than reach for a borderline first round talent on defense.

Quote:
4.4's come from. Maybe Mr. McNair will come up with another two or three milion and install to their turff for the beaner in reliant ?
Jenkins improved by about .07
Laurinaitis by .1
Wells by .21

They ran on a harder fieldturf than they had at the combine. Adjusting for the improvement of the other two, I'd guess Wells real speed is in the 4.45-4.5 range. Excellent for a man his size, and faster than I expected.

Old 03-15-2009   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

Yeah, you're right, you just can't win with a great offense and an average defense.

signed,
Indianapolis Colts
Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams (greatest show on turf)

Seems like the job in the off-season should be to strengthen the depth and talent of the team, particularly at positions of weakness. I don't think it's the job of the team to also make sure that the offense and defense, finishes with the same league ranking at the end of the season.

We need: RBs, OL depth, Safeties, Pass rusher, DT(maybe)
You are suggesting that the Texans should ignore a RB on their board, even if he's their highest rated player, simply because the offense was more productive than the defense last year? That seems problematic.

By the way, as far as the acquisition of talent and expenditures of resources in draft and FA the past three years, the defense has gotten a lot more attention that the offense:

Since 2004, we've only spent one 1st round pick on an offensive player. Here's our last six 1st round picks:

Dunta Robinson
Jason Babin
Travis Johnson
Mario Williams (Demeco Ryans 1st pick of 2nd round)
Amobi Okoye
Duane Brown

Under this regime, I believe our 3 biggest FA acquisitions have been defensive players:

Anthony Weaver
J. Reeves (arguably A. Green, depending on how you view contracts)
Anthonio Smith

I don't think the despartity between the offense and defense has anything to do with the team's off-season focus over the past 4 years. I believe more money is tied up in the defense as well. I'd say making significant changes to the coaching staff, starting with the D.C. acknowledges that the organization believes that the talent wasn't the primary reason why the defense was so putrid. By the way, having two great backs and a solid and deep OLine does benefit the defense as well.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #19
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't think we'll pick Wells at 15 it's not he's a terrible back just the value isn't there for us there.

I know this is getting beat like a dad horse but unless a guy like Jenkins drops to us at 15, which I don't see with N.O. having a big need at CB, the best value at 15 for our team is at Linebacker.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Yeah, you're right, you just can't win with a great offense and an average defense.

signed,
Indianapolis Colts
Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams (greatest show on turf)

Seems like the job in the off-season should be to strengthen the depth and talent of the team, particularly at positions of weakness. I don't think it's the job of the team to also make sure that the offense and defense, finishes with the same league ranking at the end of the season.

We need: RBs, OL depth, Safeties, Pass rusher, DT(maybe)
You are suggesting that the Texans should ignore a RB on their board, even if he's their highest rated player, simply because the offense was more productive than the defense last year? That seems problematic.

By the way, as far as the acquisition of talent and expenditures of resources in draft and FA the past three years, the defense has gotten a lot more attention that the offense:

Since 2004, we've only spent one 1st round pick on an offensive player. Here's our last six 1st round picks:

Dunta Robinson
Jason Babin
Travis Johnson
Mario Williams (Demeco Ryans 1st pick of 2nd round)
Amobi Okoye
Duane Brown

Under this regime, I believe our 3 biggest FA acquisitions have been defensive players:

Anthony Weaver
J. Reeves (arguably A. Green, depending on how you view contracts)
Anthonio Smith

I don't think the despartity between the offense and defense has anything to do with the team's off-season focus over the past 4 years. I believe more money is tied up in the defense as well. I'd say making significant changes to the coaching staff, starting with the D.C. acknowledges that the organization believes that the talent wasn't the primary reason why the defense was so putrid. By the way, having two great backs and a solid and deep OLine does benefit the defense as well.
Pretty good points Dale. I remember in the thread earlier where you mentioned something about trading down and possibly getting Wells later on in the 1st. That wouldn't be so bad if we could get an extra 3rd and spend the rest of our picks mainly on defense. I could be okay with that, because we would have the best SMASH and DASH duo in the league and I'd put Slaton and Wells against any other duo.

Hell it worked for the Titans this season and they had no WR's at all to work with. We just won't have anywhere near the defense that the Titans had this season but we would have a potent running game and potent passing game. The more I think about this though, the more I like it.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read