Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-13-2009   #1
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default NFL.com Mock Draft 3.0

Anyone seen this posted this morning?

Seems to me Kirwin doesnt know us very well....

15. Texans Chris Wells RB Ohio State

The Texans might take a defensive tackle at this spot -- perhaps Peria Jerry -- but it is looking more and more like a running back to split the duties with Steve Slaton is a possibility

link
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true
Old 03-13-2009   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com Mock Draft 3.0

If we go RB at 15, I'd rather just get Moreno or Donald Brown.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #3
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand why these so-called "experts" feel that we need a RB to support Steve Slaton or a QB to backup Matt Schaub. They should know that Gary Kubiak does not take RBs in the 1st round (and he never well). We have other needs to address but I feel that we should trade away are 1st round pick to the Lions or some crappy team in exchange for a first in 2010 NFL Draft which well feature better players such as Taylor Mays.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #4
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Or maybe he knows us better than we know ourselves! Look I know taking a running back doesn't seem like a real possibility, but what if we do? I mean there's no guarantee that Slaton will last and be effective for the entire 16 games (plus playoffs games I'm hoping) of the season. Everyone knows you need two good backs now and if we take Chris Wells or any other back with our top pick it could mean a great running game. Our offense thrives off the running game and the better it is the better Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson look. It also keeps the defense fresh if we can just grind it out and wear down the other team. So, I don't see us taking a running back either but you can't count out the possibility and who knows what Rick Smith, Kubiak and crew are thinking? It would be intriguing to say the least.
Old 03-13-2009   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Or maybe he knows us better than we know ourselves! Look I know taking a running back doesn't seem like a real possibility, but what if we do? I mean there's no guarantee that Slaton will last and be effective for the entire 16 games (plus playoffs games I'm hoping) of the season. Everyone knows you need two good backs now and if we take Chris Wells or any other back with our top pick it could mean a great running game. Our offense thrives off the running game and the better it is the better Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson look. It also keeps the defense fresh if we can just grind it out and wear down the other team. So, I don't see us taking a running back either but you can't count out the possibility and who knows what Rick Smith, Kubiak and crew are thinking? It would be intriguing to say the least.
Hence everyone and the mailman around here is saying a runningback in the 3rd or 4th. A fresh defense that sucks does nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Old 03-13-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

This running back thing is ridiculous.

Look at last year's draft - WE DIDN'T HAVE A RUNNING BACK AT ALL! We had Ahman Green, Chris Brown, and Chris Taylor, plus a couple of other scrubs.

WE PASSED ON RASHARD MENDENHALL!! ... and a couple of other guys we could have taken in the first. Why? Because we had a desperate need at LT.

This year - we have our RB - and we still have huge needs elsewhere.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #7
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Hence everyone and the mailman around here is saying a runningback in the 3rd or 4th. A fresh defense that sucks does nothing in the grand scheme of things.

No matter how good your offense is (we were the 17th best offense in terms of PPG) you need a better defense. Our defense gave up more points then we scored which is one of the reasons we finished 8-8. If our Texans are to climb up and make the jump to a legit playoff team our defense needs to improve this upcomming season otherwise it could mean another 8-8 or worse season for us.

The problem is is that there is NO PLAYER defensivly worthy of a 15th overall selection that would help us. Only with a trade down and carefull observation of what personaell we are going into the draft with can we and should we make a final decsion.

Many users argue we should pull the trigger on Clay Matthews, I respect the guys passion for the game but he didn't even start at USC. Maybe if we trade down and grab him then that would be a good move on our part.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2009   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

How many slots is considered a reach?
Old 03-13-2009   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
This running back thing is ridiculous.

Look at last year's draft - WE DIDN'T HAVE A RUNNING BACK AT ALL! We had Ahman Green, Chris Brown, and Chris Taylor, plus a couple of other scrubs.

WE PASSED ON RASHARD MENDENHALL!! ... and a couple of other guys we could have taken in the first. Why? Because we had a desperate need at LT.
You're making an assumption on the 'why'. There were whispering surrounding Mendenhall last season that he was soft (to put it nicely.) LZ said he heard from sources that Mendenhall was a "pus*y." After all, his mom did go to the coach at Illinois and demand her son be the starting tailback because it was "owed to him." Maybe the Texans didn't have him on their board for that reason and more. And, who's to say that if Jonathan Stewart fell to us we wouldn't have taken him?

Also, the myth that "Kubiak doesn't take RB in the first round" is not true. In the 2006 draft, Kubiak tried to trade back up into the first to take DeAngelo Williams. The trade didn't work out, but the fact that he tried is proof that not only is he willing to take a RB in the first, he is willing to trade up to do it.

Slaton had a great season last year. But, he's no guarantee to keep up that pace, he had an injury history in college, and we're one play away from having literally no one behind him. I'm not on board with Beanie Wells (*at all*), but if the Texans have Knowshon Moreno or Donald Brown as BPA at our pick there's no reason not to take them.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it depends on who you talk to and what their board looks like.

If two teams are ready to take a player within a few picks of each other, then I don't consider that to be a reach even if no one else had that player within a round. I'm referring of course to Duane Brown.

I think at 10-15 picks, it's starting to look like a reach. But, we've had a pretty good mock going so far but if you compare it to GBN's rankings we've had some guys picked as many as 40 slots different than their board.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If we grab a guy like Clay Matthews I say we take him in the 20-25th range. As for other players...well, it depends on who they are. We have needs at DE even with the signing of Antonio Smith, an addittional LB would also help, and a hard-hitting safety is aneed as well.
Old 03-13-2009   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
If we grab a guy like Clay Matthews I say we take him in the 20-25th range. As for other players...well, it depends on who they are. We have needs at DE even with the signing of Antonio Smith, an addittional LB would also help, and a hard-hitting safety is aneed as well.
Assuming you can find a trade partner and that someone does not take him in front of you. Also, you are talking about a 5 to 10 slot difference not that big of a deal and no chance of missing out on the guy you want.
Old 03-13-2009   #13
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Assuming you can find a trade partner and that someone does not take him in front of you. Also, you are talking about a 5 to 10 slot difference not that big of a deal and no chance of missing out on the guy you want.
Ive never been a fan of trading down. I think we lucked out with Duane being there (even though some considered a reach). Can anyone name the tackle taken after DB off the top of their head? and if he's starting?

I say we go Matthews and be done with it. Considering what Johnny Holland has done with Adibi Diles and DeMeco, who knows what his ceiling is?
Old 03-13-2009   #14
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Ive never been a fan of trading down. I think we lucked out with Duane being there (even though some considered a reach). Can anyone name the tackle taken after DB off the top of their head? and if he's starting?

I say we go Matthews and be done with it. Considering what Johnny Holland has done with Adibi Diles and DeMeco, who knows what his ceiling is?

He might turn out to be a draft steal b/c nobobdy can predict wether or not a player well be successful or not.
Old 03-13-2009   #15
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
He might turn out to be a draft steal b/c nobobdy can predict wether or not a player well be successful or not.
After passing on Patrick Willis....i dont think we can afford not to. Your 3 LBs are usually your leading tacklers, unless you have a stud SS. IMO whenever you have the opportunity to change or enhance your top 2-3 tacklers, i think its a must for us.
Old 03-13-2009   #16
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmm.

Rob Rang of NFL Draft Scout also has us taking Wells in his latest mock.

RB isn't our biggest need, but if the draft falls the way I think it will RB will be the best value, and highest impact that we can get at 15.

I'd like to trade down and get value on a guy like Alphonso Smith, but I'd be happy with Wells at 15. He has the type of running style that works in our system. Really good vision, good sharp cuts, then all downhill running. His speed is good enough to outrun linebackers, and his size is enough to throw dbs around like rag dolls when he breaks into the secondary. He's not going to be a super star Adrian Peterson/LT type back, but I can see him being L.Johnson pre meltdown. They're similar Speed, build and running style. Johnson probably has a step on him, but Wells has that filthy stiff arm.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand why these so-called "experts" feel that we need a RB to support Steve Slaton or a QB to backup Matt Schaub. They should know that Gary Kubiak does not take RBs in the 1st round (and he never well). We have other needs to address but I feel that we should trade away are 1st round pick to the Lions or some crappy team in exchange for a first in 2010 NFL Draft which well feature better players such as Taylor Mays.
We aren't drafting a backup QB. However, we need another RB that is good enough to contribute early and be a real asset. We wouldn't be drafting a backup, we're drafting someone to get 12-15 touches per week, assuming Slaton is perfectly healthy. There is plenty of precedent in the NFL for drafting a 1st round running back when a good one is already on the roster: Carolina, Pittsburgh are two expamples from just last season. A RB has as many collisions in one game as a QB has over the course of an entire season, hopefully. And, the Texans figure to run and throw to the RBs about 35 times per game. They want Slaton's touched to be around 20.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

RB isn't our biggest need, but if the draft falls the way I think it will RB will be the best value, and highest impact that we can get at 15.
I could see this statement being true on draft day .... I dont see a DB worth taking at 15 nor a LB after Curry and Orakpo are gone. There's only one DT I think is worth a top 20 pick in Raji .... the defensive side of the ball in the top of the first in draft is somewhat thin.

Then again they could look to solidify the interior OL w/ a C or OG. I wouldnt get all bent out of shape if this were the case but would much prefer to see the defense upgraded tremendously.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

edit.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-14-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we tried to get deangelo willims in the 2006 draft... never say never
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read