Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2009   #1
whiskeyrbl

Default Texans re-sign Ferguson

Just recieved a text from the Texans that they have re-signed Nick Ferguson. No details were given. Maybe the Chron will have something up soon.
Old 03-12-2009   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans re-sign Ferguson

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6307975.html

Quote:
The Texans re-signed veteran safety Nick Ferguson today.

Ferguson, who started with Eugene Wilson last season, is expected to be the third safety behind Wilson and Dominique Barber.
Unless the contract is for some stupid amount, it's a good signing for depth purposes.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This is good. For a second I was think E Wilson and was like, this is old news. Looking at it again, I'm glad that we got this guy back. He played well for us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Steady vet that can start in a pinch (like he did last season). Good insurance policy to bring into next season. I think we're still gonna bring another safety in, but if all else fails we can still use Ferguson.
Old 03-12-2009   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Whew big sigh of relief, if nothing else he is depth. But looking at our roster I was worried about that.
Old 03-12-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me a "D"!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #7
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I am glad to see this signing...but am wondering when we are going to lock up Ryans and Robinson. It is great to lock down reliable depth with familiarity in the system, but we need to make sure that the defensive leaders are happy as well.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2009   #8
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Now Delmas, or Chung, gets great advice from two other safeties that have been around the block a time or two.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #9
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad to have him back (assuming it's not for an outrageous amount of money).

As for our safeties, I feel like I don't see Harrison mentioned as much as I would have hoped. I know he's behind due to injuries, but I'm wondering if the staff has already given up on him.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #10
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Ferguson and Wilson played well enough to return as starters opening day. Now all we need is another explosive, hard-hitting, jaw-breaking, bone-crushing...safety like Chung to strike fear in Peyton Manning and Co.

Anyways, great job by the F.O.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #11
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Now Delmas, or Chung, gets great advice from two other safeties that have been around the block a time or two.
I agree one of those Strong Safeties have to be on our board in the 2nd round.
Old 03-12-2009   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Huge free agent move by the FO, awesome work........ or just hmmmm.

I really hope they find a S in the first 3 rounds who can start for us. Wilson I can live with but the Ferguson/Barber platter doesn't inspire me.

Quick question: Has Bush given any indication whether he is going to continue with the Left and Right Safety thing or is he a traditionalist and wants to play Free and Strong Safeties?
Old 03-12-2009   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I agree one of those Strong Safeties have to be on our board in the 2nd round.
Chung = SS

Delmas = FS

In my opinion.
Old 03-12-2009   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Chung = SS

Delmas = FS

In my opinion.
Mine as well, but I'm not convinced that the Texans will go after either of them, if available, in the 2nd round.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I really hope they find a S in the first 3 rounds who can start for us. Wilson I can live with but the Ferguson/Barber platter doesn't inspire me.

Quick question: Has Bush given any indication whether he is going to continue with the Left and Right Safety thing or is he a traditionalist and wants to play Free and Strong Safeties?
Quick but good. I think Barber has the potential to be good, he seems very physical and quick to me (maybe just a rubbed off perception from his brother) like a SS should be and a great special teamer. Can he cover though? To be seen. Wilson seems like a FS type safety to me and Oldman Ferg definitely a SS, Barber too so maybe we'll see more defined roles from this position and hopefully some actual plays being made from the back. I'm totally down for less of the "good at everything" idea at safety because while it's a killer theory we haven't had the players to do it.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chung = SS

Delmas = FS

In my opinion.
I agree with this but anyone else think Delmas could play SS? He is a bit small but he plays bigger, similar to Dunta. He could play SS a year or two and then replace Eugene at FS. Wouldn't hurt to have a SS that can really cover. I doubt he is around at our 2nd pick however.
Old 03-12-2009   #17
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Quick but good. I think Barber has the potential to be good, he seems very physical and quick to me (maybe just a rubbed off perception from his brother) like a SS should be and a great special teamer. Can he cover though? To be seen. Wilson seems like a FS type safety to me and Oldman Ferg definitely a SS, Barber too so maybe we'll see more defined roles from this position and hopefully some actual plays being made from the back. I'm totally down for less of the "good at everything" idea at safety because while it's a killer theory we haven't had the players to do it.
Wilson was a FS in the NE system if I remember right, did a good job of it too.
Old 03-12-2009   #18
Dapper
Veteran

Rep Power: 33 Dapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chung = SS

Delmas = FS

In my opinion.
would you move up to take either of these guys?
Old 03-12-2009   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
No because one of them will be available in the second.
Old 03-12-2009   #20
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
There are 3 or 4 Safety prospects that are graded pretty close in the second. Which one is better is a matter of scheme, and personal theory. One of them will be there.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read