Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2005   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayton
Anyone who watched the games and has ever played corner knows that Glenn did not get "burned" alot this year. "Burned" is when you misread a route or a player runs right by you. There were alot of plays this year where Glenn was in position to make the plays and didn't. Whether that is a tell tale sign that he is aging I don't know. He still has above average coverage ability, closing speed, and is a very good tackler. Marcus Coleman continued to get burned alot this year and, to me, would be replaced before Glenn. Could be wrong but I feel that they are grooming Faggins to replace Glenn
I doubt Faggins will ever start but they already replaced Coleman with Dunta Robinson. Coleman played FS all year.

Glenn is fine. He will start next year and he is a solid NFL cornerback. I'm sure we will look for his replacement soon because he is getting up there in years but still has plenty of game left.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #22
ginessey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco-tai
Ginessey....Derrick Johnson would be a great pick up. Perhaps we would do another trade this year so that we had 2 picks in the first round. Maybe a CB (Rolle or Rogers for example) and Johnson. Or perhaps a NT like Spears.
People on here make a great point that it's about time we consider drafting another CB to place in the Nickel for a year until they're ready to start opposite Robinson. Faggins is okay...but just simply got burnt too many times this year. I'm imagining a schedule next year where we have to face gunslingers like Manning, Leftwich & Volek twice and thinking I'd feel a lot better with A. Rolle or Rogers paired with D-Rob and Glenn.

Any thoughts that Polk or Orr could become the other ILB to compliment Sharper?
Polk and Orr are good backups and maybe down the line they could be good starters, but we need for sure playmakers at that position and if you have watched Derrick Johnson all season he is a playmaker. He has the speed to cover and has a sure nose for the ball. I see a lot of people on here talking about wanting Antrell Rolle and Aaron Glenn always getting burned. Every corner will get burned from time to time but even more so if the quarterback has all day to throw. In the words of Deion Sanders "Show me a team that can't get to the quarterback and I'll show you 4 terrible DB's". Antrell Rolle also got burned this year too. Against North Carolina he got burned on a 35 yard touchdown pass caught by Mike Mason, an unheard of sophmore reciever, on the 4th play of the game, and Carolina beat Miami. Rolle is an aggressive corner and he looks good on paper, but will he be a real good fit in Houston? Rolle is going to want big money and his brother Samari is going to help him to get top dollar. Everyone wanted Sean Taylor, but it took Sean Taylor forever to agree to a contract. We were well into the preseason before he even signed a deal, missing all of a much needed training camp (and it showed in the begining of the season). DeAngelo Hall was the top prospected corner coming into last years draft and he missed like 6-8 weeks with a fractured hip (price you pay when you are a rookie asked to be a #1 corner playing Randy Moss). If you ask me we got the better deal with Dunta and he fits perfect with Aaron and the D. As for Aaron's off the field demeanor I could care less, just show up come game time.
If we get 2 picks in the 1st round (which I highly woundn't suggest) I feel we should pick up Heath Miller (6'5" 255lb TE out of VA) with that 2nd pick to give Seth Wand a hand on pass blocking Dwight Freeney and ends like him in our double tight end sets, and he also gives us a threat in the red zone where we struggle the most. Miller also allows us to create mismatches against the linebackers and safeties, and he is a beast on run blocking. We also could put him at fullback and maybe even wideout to really create mismatches against defenses in short yard/red zone situations. Having a guy like Miller doesn't allow teams to focus on doubling Andre and abusing Corey at the line and playing 2 deep coverage. Which is what a lot of teams did making Carr hold the ball too long and forcing the sack. He also could make us better on 3rd down, in which we were awful (38.4%). And the best thing about Miller he would be the cheapest allowing us to spend money elsewhere. In my opinion our main focus this offseason needs to be beating the Colts.
ginessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #23
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Aaron Glenn still has some gas left in his tank, IMO. The chances of getting a FA CB are about the same as slim and none. Reason? because they are way too expensive and would screw up the cap big-time. If we were that one player away from being SB material, maybe, but we are not. It makes way more sense to do a lot of homework on the CBs available in this Draft and try to Draft a "Diamond in the Rough", as some people call them, in the 4th, or 5th round.

The Texans have done a very good job of building this team with Casserly et. all doing their homework and bringing in good players. There have been some bumps, such as overpaying for Babbin and allowing a division competitor to gain some future ground on us. The offensive line was, and is, a work in progress, and with another offseason together, should be a good bunch, especially in the pass blocking game. Babbin will get stronger in the offseason and be able to take on the offensive tackles a lot better. So he is also a work in progress.

With a good, well thought out Draft, and some judicious additons with mid level FAs, we should be ready to really compete for the playoffs this coming season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read