Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-21-2005   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
Brown is clearly the top OG prospect. But for some reason, most of the ratings and mock drafts I've seen have him slipping to the bottom of the first - the 20's - and I've seen a few where he is the first guard taken but not until the top of the second round. The only thing I can figure is that only one team - New England - has a high priority or need for an OG, so any team which takes him with a high pick would simply be taking BPA. There seems to be a good opportunity to trade down and still pick him up.
you are absolutely correct & I see the same things now that all the Mock Drafts are being posted. since mine was one of the 1st it certainly deserves some inevitable tweeking, but I'm sticking to my guns until after the combine. these picks reflect my own personel opinion from watching these College Football players during the season, until I get the chance to review additional data/results from the combine I'm sticking to plan.

After the combine then there is free agency & of course possible trades these factors will all have significant impact on who gets drafted & where.

How about this, you bring up New England (excellent point) what if the Texans draft the BPA @ #13, lets say its Antrel Rolle for arguements sake, what are the chances the Texans repeat their move from last year & trade up to the #27 if Elton is still on the board, jump ahead of New England just like last year with Babin? Again the Texans add two starters, that would allow current players to rotate into additional positions create depth & more flexibilty, thus addressing the pass rush (Rolle) protection for Carr & consistant running game for Dominack (Brown). food for thought
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005   #22
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22191 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
...what are the chances the Texans repeat their move from last year & trade up to the #27 if Elton is still on the board, jump ahead of New England just like last year with Babin?...
I have really been giving some serious thought to an idea I presented the other day and I'm liking it more and more.

What we need to make everything come together defensively, into a unit which can challege Pittsburg, Indianapolis and New England, is an elite, dominant DLman which demands constant double teaming. Haloti Ngata could be that player, next year, but will likely be a top 5 pick and almost certainly a top 10. For us to have any chance of getting him, we'll need two first round draft picks to trade up.

I would offer San Francisco, Miami, Cleveland, Chicago and Tampa our first round draft pick, #13, for their first round pick in 2006 and their second round pick this year. The trade value works and we end up with a high second as well as our own #47.

I would then trade back up into the first round, as beerlover suggested, and take Elton Brown as our first selection.

Then, I'd take Luis Castillo with our second round pick. This might require another trade to move up a few spots, or he might fall to our #47. Castillo is a strong run defender who would be paired with Peek, and who could anchor the weak side, allowing Peek to be turned loose to rush the QB almost every down. I don't think it will happen, but if C.J. Mosley falls to the second round, I might consider him over Castillo.

I would use pick 3A on Chris Spencer, a pro bowl caliber talent, to groom behind McKinney.

3B would be BPA, but focusing on LB.

Last edited by Number19; 01-21-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read