Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Is Mathews a reach at 15?
yes 49 46.67%
no 56 53.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2009   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Mathews a reach at 15?

I say no! The way he shooting up the boards and his impressive combine, I beleive by the time the draft gets here he will have a top 15 grade. And dont forget he still has his pro day to impress even more.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Mathews a reach at 15?

Who voted yes besides me I wanna know!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

No way.
Old 03-11-2009   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

On body of work maybe .

On measureables and pedigree no way .
Old 03-11-2009   #5
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind if we get Clay! I'm not sure about Manboobs Cushion or Peria Jerrythough!
Old 03-11-2009   #6
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is a reach at 15. Admittedly though I have not seen him play.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

He would come in and contribute from day one. He's got elite explosiveness and the family genes. A truly self made player who had to work for everything he's gotten despite coming from such great bloodlines. He went from a 166 pound safety in high school who's dad wouldn't even start him to a 6'3'' 240 pound badass who is gonna go in the 1st round this year.

Whether or not its with the Texans remains to be seen. I'm sure his uncle is stumpin for him though...
Old 03-11-2009   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
He would come in and contribute from day one. He's got elite explosiveness and the family genes. A truly self made player who had to work for everything he's gotten despite coming from such great bloodlines. He went from a 166 pound safety in high school who's dad wouldn't even start him to a 6'3'' 240 pound badass who is gonna go in the 1st round this year.

Whether or not its with the Texans remains to be seen. I'm sure his uncle is stumpin for him though...
Wow are you really 21 or is that just for the chicks? Oh by the way
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
On body of work maybe .

On measureables and pedigree no way .
See there is my problem of sorts i guess. I almost typed in great bloodline no doubt but is that the reason people are so high on him or is the short time he's been on field?

If we're looking LB for #15 Lauarenitis is the safetest pick IMO.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe any player that is going to help you win games is a reach.

I would take Matthews any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #11
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there's a decent chance he'll go before 15. Really don't think he's a reach at all - and let's not forget he hasn't had his pro day yet.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
See there is my problem of sorts i guess. I almost typed in great bloodline no doubt but is that the reason people are so high on him or is the short time he's been on field?

If we're looking LB for #15 Lauarenitis is the safetest pick IMO.
I think Lauarenitis has peaked where Matthews is just hitting his stride . Think of the Matthews the same way you think of the Barbers . They have several generations that played pro football ... they get it ... they understand the process .

Besides he has the best hair since YKW .

Old 03-11-2009   #13
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I try not to get emotionally vested in someone we may or may not draft - but I like this kid. I agree that he is just beginning to hit his stride and will be able to contribute from day 1 on will and desire alone if nothing else. I did watch a video or two of his play and that kid can seriously hit and he is fast off the line. I want him to be a Texan.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #14
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How can drafting a Greek god ever be considered a reach? He probably even has a constellation already named after him.

But seriously, I probably wouldn't draft him. Being a college walk-on and a starter only in your last year doesn't make him an attractive prospect IMO, atleast not for the 15th pick.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
But seriously, I probably wouldn't draft him. Being a college walk-on and a starter only in your last year doesn't make him an attractive prospect IMO, atleast not for the 15th pick.
I really just don't get this line of thinking.

Would you draft a guy in the top 10 when he couldn't even make the defense for Texas Tech? What about a guy that had to go play at University of New Mexico and couldn't even get much of playing time his freshman or sophomore year? Finally got to play his Jr. and Sr. years? 2 years of starting experience at University of Freakin New Mexico. Top 10 pick.

Does 2 years of "starting" experience trump 1 year of "starting experience" at USC and playing in 50 games while at USC????

Rep to the first person who knows who I'm talking about.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Would you draft a guy in the top 10 when he couldn't even make the defense for Texas Tech? What about a guy that had to go play at University of New Mexico and couldn't even get much of playing time his freshman or sophomore year? Finally got to play his Jr. and Sr. years? 2 years of starting experience at University of Freakin New Mexico. Top 10 pick.

Does 2 years of "starting" experience trump 1 year of "starting experience" at USC and playing in 50 games while at USC????

Matthews is a great special teams player and has played there for four years ..
Old 03-11-2009   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Matthews is a great special teams player and has played there for four years ..
Correct. He played in 50 games while at USC. It's not like he doesn't have any experience.
Old 03-11-2009   #18
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Urlacher
Old 03-11-2009   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Urlacher
Ding Ding Ding! Only two D-1 schools gave him a scholarship. New Mexico State and University of New Mexico. I'm not saying Matthews is going to be an Urlacher. I'm just correlating that one of the best LBs in the league wasn't even a full time starter throughout college. People develop at different times in their life and Urlacher is a perfect example. He was a hybrid safety/linebacker and the coach found a way to get him on the field. Kind of like Carroll finding a way to get Matthews on the field as a DE/LB kind of hybrid player. Urlacher was drafted in the 1st round, #9 overall.
Old 03-11-2009   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody think the Browns will take him?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read