Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2009   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Even with top 10 pick DT Okoye on roster, Chron says Texans may draft Peria Jerry

Jerry is nasty and physical. He penetrates and obliterates. But he looks like Amobi Okoye. Jerry is almost 6-2 and 299. Okoye, who was a huge disappointment last season, is 6-2 and 302.

I donít know what Bush and Kollar think about having two tackles the same size. I believe the Texans prefer one of their tackles be a road grader who takes up a lot of space. Frank Okam would be the ideal road grader, but his engine needs a tuneup.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6304426.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Even with top 10 pick DT Okoye on roster, Chron says Texans may draft Peria Jerry

The most interesting part of that article was the 10 yard split data on Matthews

Quote:
Matthews is usually 6-3, 245, but he lost five pounds before the combine so he would be quicker. He ran the 40 in 4.62 seconds. More importantly, he ran the first 10 yards in 1.49.

Scouts and coaches love to time the first 10 yards because itís an indication of a playerís explosiveness.

Florida receiver Percy Harvin was timed in 1.47. Maryland receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the fastest prospect at the draft with a 4.30 in the 40, ran the first 10 yards in 1.44.
Old 03-11-2009   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Even with top 10 pick DT Okoye on roster, Chron says Texans may draft Peria Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
The most interesting part of that article was the 10 yard split data on Matthews
Yep ... not bad at all . I would take Matthews on bloodline and he's still going to get better .
Old 03-11-2009   #4
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Jerry is nasty and physical. He penetrates and obliterates. But he looks like Amobi Okoye. Jerry is almost 6-2 and 299. Okoye, who was a huge disappointment last season, is 6-2 and 302.

I donít know what Bush and Kollar think about having two tackles the same size. I believe the Texans prefer one of their tackles be a road grader who takes up a lot of space. Frank Okam would be the ideal road grader, but his engine needs a tuneup.
Other than the drafting of Okam (in the 5th round), what makes you believe Bush, Kollar, or the Texans prefer a road grader at one of the DT positions?
Old 03-11-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What I like about Clay 3 is that he's had to work for everything he's received. The article stated that his dad didn't even start him on his highschool team because he was too thin at safety. Yet, this kid still makes his way on to a supreme, NFL coached college team and eventually starts. That says alot to me. That means this kid doesn't have quit in him and is an acheiver.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post

I don’t know what Bush and Kollar think about having two tackles the same size. I believe the Texans prefer one of their tackles be a road grader who takes up a lot of space. Frank Okam would be the ideal road grader, but his engine needs a tuneup.
Okoye has been a huge bust so far, top 10 or not (referencing the title not your commentary). Where did you hear the Texans wanted a 'road grader'? They have avoided players like this in the past and Okam didn't really get much experience last season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard to tell what your thoughts are and what was "quoted" from the article.

Good short write up by McClain. That split time by Matthews is incredible. I've been saying people need to focus more on the inital burst for a DE prospect than the full 40 time. How quick off the snap are they? That's what's important. I've been really high on Matthews for a while. Think he's probably a pick in the 20's. If he would be able to play SLB and DE effectively for us, I'd LOVE it.

I think Jerry will be a great DT. I've been on the Raji bandwagon as long as I can remember but his stock has increased tremendously over the months. I think Jerry is a top 20 talent and well worthy of the 15th pick, he would not be a reach. If he fits what Kollar and Bush want to do with the DL then I have no problem with that selection.

I just want us to go BPA with the 15th pick unless there is a good trade down scenario. Hopefully that pick is a defensive player that fills a need, we should have some options.

No question about the level of competition Jerry was facing... that's for sure.
Peria Jerry Highlights
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 03-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2009   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Okoye has been a huge bust so far, top 10 or not (referencing the title not your commentary). Where did you hear the Texans wanted a 'road grader'? They have avoided players like this in the past and Okam didn't really get much experience last season.
The road grader comment is from the article by John Mcclain, not the poster. John Mcclain thinks we want a road grader. I personally don't want to go DT at all round 1. DT's round 1 haven't necessarily shown any production and that is including our DT we got two years ago.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where did you hear the Texans wanted a 'road grader'? They have avoided players like this in the past and Okam didn't really get much experience last season.
see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClain
Donít count out Jerry
If the Texans donít take an outside linebacker like Matthews, perhaps they will go for a tackle like Jerry.

Those were McClain's thoughts. I agree though... the Texans actions don't reflect this view. I hope we don't reach for a NT like Brace or Taylor who don't fit what we want in a 4-3 DT/NT.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
The road grader comment is from the article by John Mcclain, not the poster. John Mcclain thinks we want a road grader. I personally don't want to go DT at all round 1. DT's round 1 haven't necessarily shown any production and that is including our DT we got two years ago.
Well there you go then...explains it all. The man has trouble with actual on the field football knowledge. I'm sure he is repeating something he heard from someone who is the brother of a late cousin of one of the coaches.

As far as Matthews and the initial burst...I like that stat more than pure speed. Especially with guys whose success depends on beating their one on one matchup to the punch.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 03-11-2009 at 11:11 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye hasn't really given the Texans much reason not to draft to replace him. Plus, according to LZ, Jerry is much better at stopping the run than Okoye, which is something we need out of our DT.

And who's to say that Jerry is not to replace Travis Johnson, who only has 10 lbs. on Okoye and Jerry.

Ultimately, if we were to draft Jerry I wouldn't look at it as replacing Okoye specifically, as much as I would look at it as adding a DT we think could be an effective one; because we really lack any consistently effective DT outside of Deljuan.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

no matter how you slice it, we need both tackles to play like they belong in the league. There were times when Okoye just didn't look like a NFL player last season. It wouldn't shock me to see us go DT with the first pick despite us making at least one bad DT pick and perhaps two bad DT picks the last few years. If this team can't get any better at the run then they won't get teams in 3rd and longs much either.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The V-Man is on the scene ! It would seem you honor us less and less frequently with your presence lately ?
You'll have to ask one John McClain about the "road grader" remark as the statement is embedded within his Chronicle article which is found herein. But it sounds to me as if McClain got his offensive & defensive lineman metaphors mixed up ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Say no to round 1 DT's. Haven't we learned a lesson or are we calling our 2 round 1 DT's busts now? Okoye has another year to prove what he is, the sack machine rookie or the flopping fish-omore. TJ needs a contract, so I expect him to get up for the season. DelJuan was DelAwesome. Okam needs to show something good or bad so the Texans can make a decision with him. A Smith is said to move inside on passing downs, Bulman can too...I just think our starters need to produce in the new system because our depth chart at DT top to bottom will be set if they do.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #15
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry would be a horrible pick for the Texans. We already have Travis Johnson and Okoye and we need a big, beefy guy to eat up space next to those guys. Jerry wouldn't help one bit.

If you look at teams that run a 4-3 D, they have a beffy DT. For example, the Bengals have Domata Peko who weighs around 330-lbs, Carolina has Makke Kemoateu who weighs around 340-lbs and the Jags have Henderson at 335-lbs. My point is we need a space-eater to free up space for Okoye or whomever to rush the defender and disrupt the QB.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
no matter how you slice it, we need both tackles to play like they belong in the league. There were times when Okoye just didn't look like a NFL player last season. It wouldn't shock me to see us go DT with the first pick despite us making at least one bad DT pick and perhaps two bad DT picks the last few years. If this team can't get any better at the run then they won't get teams in 3rd and longs much either.
Gotta agree with this 100%. If I had my pick today I would want us to draft Peria Jerry. I'd let him play next to Okoye and hope they both create havoc and if Amobi can't improve we have our 3-tech in Jerry. Jerry is 25 so he should be able to step in immediately and not be overwhelmed. It just seems, to me, that he is going to be a pretty darn good player at an important position that we happen to need an upgrade at. I doubt he turns into a superstar but he can be a very good d-lineman for us and if Antonio Smith works out we would go from having 1 good linemen to 3 in one off season.
Old 03-11-2009   #17
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Jerry would be a horrible pick for the Texans. We already have Travis Johnson and Okoye and we need a big, beefy guy to eat up space next to those guys. Jerry wouldn't help one bit.

If you look at teams that run a 4-3 D, they have a beffy DT. For example, the Bengals have Domata Peko who weighs around 330-lbs, Carolina has Makke Kemoateu who weighs around 340-lbs and the Jags have Henderson at 335-lbs. My point is we need a space-eater to free up space for Okoye or whomever to rush the defender and disrupt the QB.
The Eagles line is smaller than ours and they are a top unit against the run. I think it has to do more with talent and scheme than size. I'm sure there are other teams that don't have elite size that are waaaay better against the run than we are but the Eagles just popped into my head immediately. We also now have two DEs that are going to be good against the run, one of the being huge for a DE and the other one pretty darn big.
Old 03-11-2009   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

At the start of next season Okoye will be about the averge age on an NFL rookie. We all knew that drafting somebody that young woulf equate into a project, which is what he is. I woulnd't call him a bust just yet.

Is TJ a bust? In the eyes of the fans certainly, but listening to the coaching staff tells a different story.

Has either lived up to where they were picked? Not really, but DTs rarely do. DT is the only position that might challenge QB for difficulty to grade, and the bust ratio might slightly be higher for 1st round DTs then 1st round QBs. I would no longer draft a DT in the first round, no mater what team, no mater that teams need, no mated how well the prostect grades out.

Here's to hoping that a new mind set on the D, and a new D-line coach irons out the issues with Okoye. 4.5 sacks in your first month of live games in the NFL is was a great flash of potential.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 03-11-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I'd have no problem if they drafted Peria. This is pretty much a make or break move for Okoye and if he contines to be unimpressive, you at least have a prospect in Peria to fill the void. If Okoye plays well, then you have a battery of DTs that could potentially be elite. If they feel he can make the jump to the NFL and is a safe pick, make the move. If they have any reservations or feel he is a long term prospect, then they should probably draft someone else. I didn't watch that much SEC football this year due to Little League commitments so I really can't tell you much about Peria other than the fact that Zeirlein mentioned him as a Texans possibility back in January.

I don't know if Maleauga is going to be someone they covet even if he falls to them at #15. Cushing doesn't seem to be someone they are realy high on probably due to his injury and him not having a lot of experience/film. I don't know if Everette Brown is even someone they covet. This should be a very wierd draft and with McNabb and Cutler both potentially being traded pre-draft, there could be a lot of movement. One way or another, there are going to be some terrific football players at #15 and even beyond. Here is to hoping they make the prudent move and continue to acquire top talent through the draft...with a continued focus on defensive draft picks.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 03-11-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #20
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

I read/heard somewhere (could have been here) that 1st round DTs have the HIGHEST number of bust then any other position....so im not really looking for another high-round DT. I'd rather have a bunch of guys that i can rotate and keep fresh.

Then again, the definition of bust vary from person to person but still.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read