Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-09-2009   #1
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brian Cushing --- DO NOT WANT

Anyone else worried that a number of draft analysts seem to be thinking Brian Cushing will be the Texans' first pick?

From NFLdraftCountdown.com :

Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games...Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...an-Cushing.php
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing --- DO NOT WANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post

Anyone else worried that a number of draft analysts seem to be thinking Brian Cushing will be the Texans' first pick?

Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojanshttp://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...an-Cushing.php
That's what I'm buying....he can cover both OLB slots and add some pass rush. I think everyone is nit picking him to death. You saw USC play...what did you think ?
Old 03-10-2009   #3
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games...Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy.

Yikes. 5 injuries? If he were already on the Texans roster people would be calling him injury prone. People think we need to use a first rounder to replace Diles because he had 1 injury, and they want a guy with a serious injury record?

Pass.

His analysis is pretty much what I feel about Cushing. The more I've watched him the less I like what I see. I think he is a fringe first rounder/early second, not a mid first.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
You saw USC play...what did you think ?
Well, USC's a hell of a team. Lots of contributors. But I've watched a number of Cushing's highlight videos and he doesn't exactly jump off the screen.

Just my opinion, of course. I was wrong about Mario. I was wrong about VY. Always a chance I'm wrong again...
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #5
Ckw

If we are going OLB, I still say we trade down and grab Clay Matthews.
Old 03-10-2009   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive seen mock drafts correctly pick Mario Williams and Andre Johnson. Thats about it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been interested in Cushing for a while. The steroid allegations don't really concern me too much. I think they've been blown out of proportion and if he used steroids the last few years while at USC, I feel strongly he would have been busted.

What does concern me about Cushing is the history of his injuries. One report I read on him suggested he may be better suited to play MLB in the NFL and that may actually prolong his career. Instead of hitting into OL, TE and RBs dead on from playing outside, he would be able to take better angles on them and may not get injured as much.

He seems like the perfect SLB for our team though... but if he's going to continue to get injured playing there then that's not the wisest investment.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2009   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You can discard the freshman year injuries...he was a kid & his body probably hadn't even matured yet; that's the very reason many coaches redshirt their freshman.

ankle/foot injuries & strained hammies come with the territory of being a pro athlete & if you're going to worry about injuries like that, you might as worry about things like turf toe & concussions.

As u stated, the broken bone in his hand didn't slow him down 1 bit so....

The knee is the only thing to worry about, but these days it's sort of not. Everyone saw how Willis Mcgahee ripped up his in the NC game. Frank Gore had both his knees operated on in college. Look how both those guys are doing in the NFL. When you're young & in tip top shape your body can do some miraculous things.

He's certainly a gamble, but he proved last year that those things are behind him so....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
That's what I'm buying....he can cover both OLB slots and add some pass rush. I think everyone is nit picking him to death. You saw USC play...what did you think ?
I thought he was unimpressive. He never stood out or made big plays. IMO good consistant college LB, average PRO LB.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I thought he was unimpressive. He never stood out or made big plays. IMO good consistant college LB, average PRO LB.
Taylor Mays didn't stand out or make many big plays last year either. What do you think of him?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Taylor Mays didn't stand out or make many big plays last year either. What do you think of him?
I think when you play FS on a team that dominates the LOS you arent going to have the opportunity to make alot of plays. When you are a LB in that situation you should shine.
Old 03-10-2009   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I think when you play FS on a team that dominates the LOS you arent going to have the opportunity to make alot of plays. When you are a LB in that situation you should shine.
That's not a bad analysis. I could agree with that.

Nobody doubts that Mays is the most talented player on their defense, but I would like to see more production out of him next year. Until he proves me wrong, I consider Eric Berry to be the better safety of the two, but they are both top 10 talents in my book.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #13
ThruThick&Thin
learning2forum

Rep Power: 0 ThruThick&Thin was voted MVPThruThick&Thin was voted MVPThruThick&Thin was voted MVPThruThick&Thin was voted MVP

Well if not Cushing, whom do you propose? Im really curious as to what people think the Texans should draft. It passes time at work and its exciting.

I was big on another D-line man, but I think as long as they draft a defensive player with their 1st pick I will be satsified.
Old 03-10-2009   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
That's not a bad analysis. I could agree with that.

Nobody doubts that Mays is the most talented player on their defense, but I would like to see more production out of him next year. Until he proves me wrong, I consider Eric Berry to be the better safety of the two, but they are both top 10 talents in my book.
Mays isn't the most talented player on their defense. He's the most athletic safety, but not even the best safety. Maualuga is better and so is Cushing.
Old 03-10-2009   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruThick&Thin View Post
Well if not Cushing, whom do you propose? Im really curious as to what people think the Texans should draft. It passes time at work and its exciting.

I was big on another D-line man, but I think as long as they draft a defensive player with their 1st pick I will be satsified.
Personally, of the guys I expect to be available, I'd be fine with:
  • Cushing
  • Matthews
  • Jerry
  • Jenkins
  • Ayers
  • English
  • Maualaga
  • Sean Smith
  • Everette Brown

But I could give you reasons for each one of those guys why we shouldn't take them and several of them could be considered reaches.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 03-10-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Damn, Rey
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #16
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruThick&Thin View Post

Michael Oher or perhaps Jerry?

Or maybe... Chris Wells?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Mays isn't the most talented player on their defense. He's the most athletic safety, but not even the best safety. Maualuga is better and so is Cushing.
I think you might be in the minority on that one.
Old 03-10-2009   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Cush is a beast but I don't like all the 'roaids rumors
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw a few highlights on the dude and kind of laughed at them. Seems like alot of his tackles he had help. Clay 3 showed the ability to beat double teams.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd only be excited about drafting Cushing if we got him in the 3rd round. He's too much of a workout boy that never really impressed me all that much on the field. He'd be a good 'effort guy' that has the right attitude for a linebacker but he isn't a early to mid first round prospect imo.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read