Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-05-2009   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Edgerrin James

I heard that he will probably get released in the next couple days. I think he would be a great #2 to slaton for a couple mil a year. If we don't get him, we will surely have to draft a back in the middle rounds of the draft which is fine but we could concentrate on the defense if we have a capable #2 for slaton coming into the draft. I think he would be perfect with 10 carries a game on this team.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #2
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Edgerrin James

Wasn't he complaining all season that he wasn't getting enough carries? And that was as a starter. I mean I don't think he is really starter material anymore but if he believes he is chemistry could be an issue.
Old 03-05-2009   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Rather have Joseph Addai.
Old 03-05-2009   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Wasn't he complaining all season that he wasn't getting enough carries? And that was as a starter. I mean I don't think he is really starter material anymore but if he believes he is chemistry could be an issue.
I think he just got tired of AZ. I think alot of the players just don't like it there. He is desperate to get out of there. He realizes that he is not a starter anymore, (well, he should), I just think he wants a fresh start. No team in hell will give him a contract as a starter and I think he would be fine with that. But I really think he could create some damage with 8-12 carries on this team behind slaton.
Old 03-05-2009   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Joseph Addai is the colts #1 as we speak, young and under contract.
Old 03-05-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks.

That would be just like the Amaan Green signing. Older back with a lot of tread on the tires.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #7
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
No thanks.

That would be just like the Amaan Green signing. Older back with a lot of tread on the tires.
Totally different situations. Ahman was signed as a #1 with an injury prone history and with a semi-fat contract. Edge doesn't really have an injury history. And he would be the #2 with a much smaller contract.
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2009   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No thanks.

Yes, but Green was brought here to be the starter, where as James would most likely be brought in as the #2 if it were to happen. Plus I don't believe James has had the injury issues like Green had coming in.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #9
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Totally different situations. Ahman was signed as a #1 with an injury prone history and with a semi-fat contract. Edge doesn't really have an injury history. And he would be the #2 with a much smaller contract.
Deja Vu man
Old 03-05-2009   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Edge also hasn't averaged above 4 YPC since he got to the Cardinals, and has been below average in short yardage situations.
Old 03-05-2009   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX View Post
Yes, but Green was brought here to be the starter, where as James would most likely be brought in as the #2 if it were to happen. Plus I don't believe James has had the injury issues like Green had coming in.
True, but he just has a lot of wear and tear from all of those years. He doesn't run the ball like he used to either. He did run well at the end of the season though and I'll give him that. I would rather just go with a younger guy personally. I don't think it would be a bad signing by any means. Just not a real good one.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #12
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX View Post
Deja Vu man
Yep
Old 03-05-2009   #13
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
True, but he just has a lot of wear and tear from all of those years. He doesn't run the ball like he used to either. He did run well at the end of the season though and I'll give him that. I would rather just go with a younger guy personally. I don't think it would be a bad signing by any means. Just not a real good one.
I'd rather go younger as well, but we could still do both if we got Edge for cheap and short term. I think that might not be such a bad thing......we have our #1 back at the moment, but 2 and 3 are anybody's guesses at the moment. I think we will end up drafting a RB in the 3rd or later rounds, than we will sign a few undrafted FA's, then figure out who's 2 and 3.
Old 03-05-2009   #14
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

He would be a great back-up if he was comfortable playing that role. It's becoming more and more evident that the Texans will look in the draft to pick up another RB. They might pick up a so-so vet to fill in, but I think they will re-sign Cecil Sapp because he can play RB/FB and let the chips fall where they may during the draft and try and find good value there. Then they can look at UDFA and RBs who are cut. Denver should have quite a few that are released with a new HC and the addition of Arrington, LaMont, and Buckhalter...they still have S.Young, Torain, Hillis, and Andre Hall so there is going to be quality there somewhere. I know he is old as hell, but his best years were with Gibbs so I think W.Dunn could carry some value if he is brought in on a 1 year since he is 34 at the most he could be someone for Slaton and our RB draft pick(s) to learn from since he knows the system and has been successful in the league for a long time. But I think Edge will want too much money for his role and not happy playing 2nd behind a young talented back.
Old 03-05-2009   #15
stingray
Hall of Fame

I would love to go younger too but we have too many needs on the defensive side of the ball. Everybody laughed at the Tiatns for drafting RB's early in the last couple drafts, but they could afford to. They had an awesome defense, we don't. We need to concentrate almost on all D.
Old 03-05-2009   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Quote:
Joseph Addai is the colts #1 as we speak, young and under contract.
I meant Dominic Rhodes. I was thinking Colts RB and that was the name that popped into my head.
Old 03-05-2009   #17
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Rhodes would be a solid addition as well
Old 04-27-2009   #18
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Edge to be released?

Quote:
With the Cardinals using two draft picks on tailbacks, it’s safe to assume that veteran Edgerrin James will soon be getting his much-desired freedom.

According to the Arizona Republic, the move could come this week, before the start of a mandatory minicamp, during which a torn ACL would put the Cards on the hook for James’ full salary.

With five tailbacks not named “Edgerrin James” on the roster, they simply don’t need him.

Over the weekend, Cards picked Beanie Wells in round one, and LaRod Stephens-Howling in round seven.

James has been asking to be released for months, sparked by the team’s decision to bench him during the 2008 regular season. But James returned to the starting lineup for the postseason, causing some to wonder whether the team would keep him, despite a $5 million base salary for the final year of his contract.
pft

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

No...
Old 04-27-2009   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
No...

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read