Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009   #141
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft

His scouting reports just suggest that his CB technique is raw but his nose for the ball and tackling are great along with his physical gifts. Seems more like a safety to me but whoever gets him is definitely going to have a shot a real game changer.
Old 03-06-2009   #142
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
His scouting reports just suggest that his CB technique is raw but his nose for the ball and tackling are great along with his physical gifts. Seems more like a safety to me but whoever gets him is definitely going to have a shot a real game changer.
I agree with bah. He doesn't look to have a safety mindset when he plays. Malcolm Jenkins has more of a safety mindset.
Old 03-06-2009   #143
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I would take Smith or Delmas at 15 before I would take Davis at 15 & move him to safety.
Old 03-06-2009   #144
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You know, Peria Jerry is another option here, too.
It might be a bit of a reach, but I'd go with Jerry myself. Possibly Mathews or Davis? Y'all know my thoughts on Cushing.

I stated in another post that if the Texans are stuck with the 15th they're going to have to reach a little bit. It appears the scenerio has surfaced here in our draft.
Old 03-06-2009   #145
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

So guys, what are we actually looking for in a defensive football player?

Tenacity? Instinct? Toughness?

Old 03-06-2009   #146
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post

Lawrence Taylor
Old 03-06-2009   #147
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes. Exactly.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2009   #148
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why are you stalling?
Old 03-06-2009   #149
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Peria Jerry=my least favorite pick here

Here comes the Matthews pick!!
Old 03-06-2009   #150
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 15th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans Select:

Brian Cushing OLB USC

The pick was Malcolm Jenkins. Before PencilNeck picked him up I just knew he was going to fall into our laps. I had to take some time after that and rethink my choice. The obvious scenario for the real draft was to trade down, but my hands are tied there. BTW, I was jacking with everyone about Sanchez! Figured it would be an early April Fool's.

Anyways, my choice was only defense. It's the weakest part of our team and is obviously still trying to be molded. I want toughness, killer instinct and someone that bleeds the game. I looked at the highlights again for Peria Jerry, Brian Cushing, Vontae Davis, James Laurinaitis and Larry English. Cushing stood out the most. He grinds and always flys to the ball. He can play off the edge, cover a TE or come up and blow up an OL. The only bad thing it that there are so many studs on the USC defense that you kind of wonder what role he plays. He also dodges some blocks but is quick enough to recover and make the play.

At the end of the day, I wanted not just defense, but someone that bleeds a defensive mentality. Cushing is the one. English and Jerry were in a close 2nd. V Davis is a little raw and we already have some projects at db.

Let the booing start!!!
Old 03-06-2009   #151
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Sanchez?...
I personally feel there are better players than Sanchez available... especially that suit well for the Texans needs.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 03-06-2009   #152
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Peria Jerry plays the same type of DT as Amobi Okoye. We don't need another Amobi - we need a true,wide-bodied NT. Trouble is - there's nobody worth the 15th pick who fits the mold.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #153
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Why are you stalling?
It's a tought spot. In the real draft the Texans are in the exact position that most teams want to trade out of. Can't trade in the mock though so might as well go BPA and take the heat for it afterward.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-06-2009   #154
TimeKiller

I won't knock it.
Old 03-06-2009   #155
Shaft75
Site Contributor

*crickets*
Old 03-06-2009   #156
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice pick, I'm a fan.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 03-06-2009   #157
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
*crickets*
Eh, he's the guy that most mocks have us taking, so it doesn't really inspire a ton of discussion.

That doesn't mean it's a bad pick at all - I'd rather everyone pick who they think is best for their team rather than think they have to be a contrarian for the sake of picking someone different.

Personally - I like Matthews over Cushing, but I can't knock the Cushing pick.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #158
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
*crickets*
I had the Texans picking Cushing in my last mock, so I can't knock it too much.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59280
Old 03-06-2009   #159
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
It's a tought spot. In the real draft the Texans are in the exact position that most teams want to trade out of. Can't trade in the mock though so might as well go BPA and take the heat for it afterward.
You know I was messing with him, right?
Old 03-06-2009   #160
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Personally - I like Matthews over Cushing, but I can't knock the Cushing pick.
Tell me why though? I looked at the film and combine numbers and just didn't see why Matthews would be picked before Cushing.

BTW - when I say "film", I mean youtube highlights!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read