Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009   #581
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
The Texans dont have a true SS or FS though. Delmas was certainly the bdpa at the spot. Chung, though, was on my radar but my mind was still deadset on Harvin--- I mean Delmas. I just don't have much confidence in Barber and think there is no way he goes into this season as the starter. We also need to get younger and get more depth at S.
If you "don't have much confidence in Barber" then why wouldn't you draft someone like Chung, who's considered the best SS in the draft, and ensure that Barber doesn't play. Don't get me wrong I like Delmas as a player but we don't have a big need at FS, Eugene Wilson played pretty well last year, thus the 3yr. contract. We need a starter at SS and a backup at FS. Delmas is good in coverage but the only thing he'll be covering is the bench with his butt since Wilson is a good starter. Now our starters are going to be Wilson and Barber, unless you draft someone like Chip Vaughn, or Michael Hamlin in the 3rd round to replace Barber. Again I like Delmas but it's a wasted pick to draft a backup in the 2nd round.
Old 03-12-2009   #582
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still feel like people are thinking I went back on my pick. I didn't. It was a joke, maybe not well played, but a joke nonetheless. I stand behind the Delmas pick. I didn't see many of his games, but he was all over the field at the Texas and senior bowl. I have been wanting a hardnosed safety for awhile. His range is what made me choose him over Chung. Range is what Wilson showed me last season and Demos showed me the season before that. I think it's something our defensive backfield needs more of.

Also, I think I kind of got screwed with the setup. We are in a prime position to trade back.
I agree with Spec, you should of pm'd your prank to Super Mario. Who's to know rather you meant to prank or just chickened on the Harvin pick? That would have all been taken care of with a simple PM.
Old 03-12-2009   #583
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
If you "don't have much confidence in Barber" then why wouldn't you draft someone like Chung, who's considered the best SS in the draft, and ensure that Barber doesn't play. Don't get me wrong I like Delmas as a player but we don't have a big need at FS, Eugene Wilson played pretty well last year, thus the 3yr. contract. We need a starter at SS and a backup at FS. Delmas is good in coverage but the only thing he'll be covering is the bench with his butt since Wilson is a good starter. Now our starters are going to be Wilson and Barber, unless you draft someone like Chip Vaughn, or Michael Hamlin in the 3rd round to replace Barber. Again I like Delmas but it's a wasted pick to draft a backup in the 2nd round.
I agree about Chung being a better value for our team in the 2nd round than Delmas and about Hamlin but Delmas would not be a wasted 2nd round pick. With time he could become a starter at FS for 5+ years.
Old 03-12-2009   #584
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I agree about Chung being a better value for our team in the 2nd round than Delmas and about Hamlin but Delmas would not be a wasted 2nd round pick. With time he could become a starter at FS for 5+ years.
I agree Delmas is a good player and should become a great FS but to pick him in the 2nd round to play a position that is not a position of need makes him a wasted pick. Guys drafted in the 2nd round should be starters, not backups to sit on the bench for a few years until they get the chance to start. Hopefully he'll take Hamlin or Vaughn in the 3rd round, but that now throws off the draft order of your selections. If he had taken Chung in the 2nd then we could be addressing the O-line in the 3rd, now that has to wait til the 4th.
Old 03-12-2009   #585
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Why not just have two good safeties? I've got no problem with Wilson starting but I'm just not so sure Barber could outright beat Delmas in camp competition. Suddenly we go from a bad situation at safety to a great one.
Old 03-12-2009   #586
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said before. The texans have shown us that they don't flip flop the safeties like most teams. I am not sold on Eugene Wilson either. He joined the team after getting cut a couple of times. Just like demps, who also got signed to a big contract last year, he could fall off the map. Then you have delmas learning from a very instinctive safety. Also he was just to good to pass up.
Old 03-12-2009   #587
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree Delmas is a good player and should become a great FS but to pick him in the 2nd round to play a position that is not a position of need makes him a wasted pick. Guys drafted in the 2nd round should be starters, not backups to sit on the bench for a few years until they get the chance to start. Hopefully he'll take Hamlin or Vaughn in the 3rd round, but that now throws off the draft order of your selections. If he had taken Chung in the 2nd then we could be addressing the O-line in the 3rd, now that has to wait til the 4th.
FS is a position of need. Thinking optimistically Wilson should be our FS for 2 or 3 years. We still need a young guy to groom.
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2009   #588
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I know I'll catch flack for this, but I actually didn't mind when Shaft75 "jokingly" picked Percy Harvin. Adding that explosion to the return game and in the slot would be deadly. Considering how much versatility he adds and that he'll go in round 1 in the actual draft would of made that a great pick for Houston in round 2. I like Delmas a great deal, but I just don't see how adding a FS is the best option for the Texans, especially with Wilson pegged as the starter.
Old 03-12-2009   #589
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Any way

Eric Wood or Juaquin Iglesias

My choice.

I understand the lack of QB but still I am no way sold on there WR core and this would be a great compliment to Barrian.
Old 03-12-2009   #590
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Never Mind
Old 03-12-2009   #591
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Any way

My choice.

I understand the lack of QB but still I am no way sold on there WR core and this would be a great compliment to Barrian.
Yeah, for God's sake can we please move on?

Any objections to the final two picks being Wood or Iglesias for the Vikings? Can we get some more suggestions or approvals/disapprovals?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-12-2009   #592
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Any way

My choice.

Both fine with me. I won't voice my opinion as I'm the next pick.
Old 03-12-2009   #593
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I agree with Spec, you should of pm'd your prank to Super Mario. Who's to know rather you meant to prank or just chickened on the Harvin pick? That would have all been taken care of with a simple PM.
I pm'd him right away though. He even joked about stirring up a hornets nest, so I decided instead of drawing it out I hurried to fess up.
Old 03-12-2009   #594
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Any Way
Old 03-12-2009   #595
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I pm'd him right away though. He even joked about stirring up a hornets nest, so I decided instead of drawing it out I hurried to fess up.
Oh. Then I don't really care about the prank. I like Harvin better than Delmas though. Harvin is easily going to go in the first round, and would give the Texans the best #3 WR in the game. He would easily put the Texans over the top for the super-bowl. Delmas was just "blah", Harvin would have been an elite pick for our 2nd round.
Old 03-12-2009   #596
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Any Way
Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009   #597
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Does somebody want to pick for the Vikings?
Old 03-12-2009   #598
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I say Iglesias.
Old 03-12-2009   #599
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I say Iglesias.
Well if someone wants to make the pick official I will go ahead and make the Falcons pick tonight.
Old 03-12-2009   #600
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Well if someone wants to make the pick official I will go ahead and make the Falcons pick tonight.
I think another couple of people need to agree.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read