Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009   #521
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I can't speak for rmartin65, but for my part, this isn't a reach.

I have Byrd rated as a late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect. And he is the top rated CB on my board right now.

He can play zone, but his man ability is a little suspect.

As far as ability goes, I think he is right on par with Victor Harris (Virginia Tech), but he is less physical and has better hands. He will get some picks.
Isn't he also projected at possibly being able to jump to safety? I don't know much about the guy either.

BTW, The more I look at Ayers, the more I wonder if I should have passed on him. Mayock put together some tape of him the other day where he was just bullying guys at the Senior Bowl. In the end, Delmas was a need.
Old 03-11-2009   #522
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I'm picking for Dallas and I'm looking for the police reports on players ... any hints .
Alex Boone OT Ohio ST has had several alcohol related arrest over the past couple of years and I beleive Emanual Cook SS South Carolina was caught with a handgun last year. Seems like that would make both of them candidates for BIG (cell block) D!
Old 03-11-2009   #523
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Isn't he also projected at possibly being able to jump to safety? I don't know much about the guy either.

BTW, The more I look at Ayers, the more I wonder if I should have passed on him. Mayock put together some tape of him the other day where he was just bullying guys at the Senior Bowl. In the end, Delmas was a need.
I would have picked Ayers, but I have no complaints at all on taking Delmas. He would have been a close second for me, even with the Wilson signing.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-11-2009   #524
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wanting to change your pick again?
Old 03-11-2009   #525
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I would have picked Ayers, but I have no complaints at all on taking Delmas. He would have been a close second for me, even with the Wilson signing.
I agree. I would have taken Ayers as well. All in all, solid selection with Delmas. Probably good value and it's at a position of weakness.

Ooh looking back.. what about if we took Jerry and then Ayers! build up that D-line
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 03-11-2009   #526
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I agree. I would have taken Ayers as well. All in all, solid selection with Delmas. Probably good value and it's at a position of weakness.

Ooh looking back.. what about if we took Jerry and then Ayers! build up that D-line
Looking back... what about Vontae Davis & Delmas?
Old 03-11-2009   #527
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 48th pick the Denver Broncos select Missouri DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood.

Tough spot here as I was hoping Delmas, Smith, Maybin and Unger would have slipped here as well. NT and DE are needs in the new 3-4, but Hood does not fit the prototypical NT size that is coveted. However, his motor, technique and physicality are not questioned and could see time at each position depending upon down and situation. Although he may not turn out to be a perennial Pro Bowl player, he should have a valued professional career for many years.

Old 03-11-2009   #528
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I dont understand the fascination with Davis.
Old 03-11-2009   #529
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
See... a tough crowd like this further justifies my practical joke.
Old 03-11-2009   #530
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I dont understand the fascination with Davis.
No fascination... OMT mentioned Jerry & Ayers with the line. Davis & Delmas would both help out the secondary just like Jerry & Ayers would the line. Only reason I mentioned him.
Old 03-11-2009   #531
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
See... a tough crowd like this further justifies my practical joke.
Like me or Mussop? Who's the tough crowd?
Old 03-11-2009   #532
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Texans dont have a true SS or FS though. Delmas was certainly the bdpa at the spot. Chung, though, was on my radar but my mind was still deadset on Harvin--- I mean Delmas. I just don't have much confidence in Barber and think there is no way he goes into this season as the starter. We also need to get younger and get more depth at S.
If you are going to spend that high a pick on a S he better be a true playmaker or be able to play more than jsut one position. If I were the Texans and wanted to draft a Safety in this draft I would of waited until at least the 3rd round or taken a CB that could play S. Victor Harris would of been a better choice IMO.

I would of been happy with any of the players below with our 2nd round pick. Yes including Harvin. I know you caught slack for it but getting the biggest playmaker in the draft in the middle of the second round is pretty good value IMO. There is no rule that we have to go D with every pick despite what some here think.

LeSean McCoy Pittsburgh RBF
Shonn Greene Iowa RBF
Percy Harvin Florida WRS WRF
Victor Harris Virginia Tech CB
Coye Francies San Jose St CB
Robert Ayers Tennessee DE43

Let me add that I dont hate the pick just would of gone a different way if it were up to me.
`
Old 03-11-2009   #533
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you are going to spend that high a pick on a S he better be a true playmaker or be able to play more than jsut one position. If I were the Texans and wanted to draft a Safety in this draft I would of waited until at least the 3rd round or taken a CB that could play S. Victor Harris would of been a better choice IMO.

I would of been happy with any of the players below with our 2nd round pick. Yes including Harvin. I know you caught slack for it but getting the biggest playmaker in the draft in the middle of the second round is pretty good value IMO. There is no rule that we have to go D with every pick despite what some here think.

Shonn Greene Iowa RBF

Let me add that I dont hate the pick just would of gone a different way if it were up to me.
`
Just to confirm, you do not believe Delmas was of value in the mid second round?
Old 03-11-2009   #534
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Just to confirm, you do not believe Delmas was of value in the mid second round?

Sure he has value at that point but there were several players with higher value IMO. The difference in value made him not worthy of the pick IMO. In other words his overall grade plus his over all value in terms of how he helps our team wasnt up to par with several players that were available. Therefore if we were to pick him there we would be not getting the best value for our pick. Hope that helps.
Old 03-11-2009   #535
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Shonn Greene Iowa RBF

`
The fact that you think Victor Harris is a good value to us here in the 2nd is laughable.
Old 03-11-2009   #536
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
The fact that you think Victor Harris is a good value to us here in the 2nd is laughable.
Care to elaborate?
Old 03-11-2009   #537
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bears select Percy Harvin WR Fla.
Wanted a big receiver to go with Hester, but missed out on them. Harvin and Hester bring pure speed and big play ability to the Bears passing game. They will back off the DB's, which will help the running game.
Old 03-11-2009   #538
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish I could get a do over on alot of things but the draft isn't one of them.

I'm O.K. with Cushing but would have taken Barwin or Matthews

Delmas is a good pick also but we need to solve our pass rushing deficiencies so I would have taken Sidbury or Ayers

3rd rd S that would have been available Vaughun who we were looking at closely at the Shrine game or Hamlin.
Old 03-11-2009   #539
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
What makes you think they want to replace Barber? We just drafted him and I think they like what he can become and want to give him a shot.

Wilson on the other hand is a stop gap signing. 3 years? That means they want someone this year, and maybe next year as a backup, but the position will end up with Delmas getting the start in 2010, or if Wilson goes down with an injury in 2009.
Shaft75 was saying that HE doesn't like Barber. And I was just saying, if he didn't like Barber, he didn't choose the guy that would probably replace him.
Old 03-11-2009   #540
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgl35 View Post
The Bears select Percy Harvin WR Fla.
Wanted a big receiver to go with Hester, but missed out on them. Harvin and Hester bring pure speed and big play ability to the Bears passing game. They will back off the DB's, which will help the running game.

The Bears would be PSYCHED if it worked out this way: Sanchez and Harvin? Wow.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read